The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   JDM Keys? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42560)

Roo 12-30-2007 03:07 PM

JDM Keys?

Is there such a thing? I'm looking to get a JDM key for the SVX if there is such a thing. Anyone know if they exist?

ensteele 12-30-2007 03:58 PM

Yes they do. They will not work on the USDM SVX and are about $250 or more if you can get them. It has the ability to unlock the car like our key fob does. I was trying to get one for my JDM car and it was not going to be possible because it was out of the country. :o

Remember that some members here call their USDM car a JDM and it is not. JDM is Japanese Domestic Market and only that. You can get things off of a JDM car, but it will never be one unless it started out that way. :o

94SubieSVX 12-30-2007 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele (Post 518338)
Yes they do. They will not work on the USDM SVX and are about $250 or more if you can get them. It has the ability to unlock the car like our key fob does. I was trying to get one for my JDM car and it was not going to be possible because it was out of the country. :o

Remember that some members here call their USDM car a JDM and it is not. JDM is Japanese Domestic Market and only that. You can get things off of a JDM car, but it will never be one unless it started out that way. :o

My car is MaDD Jay dEEE eEmm YOOO!!!!

it was made in japan right??:p

ensteele 12-30-2007 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94SubieSVX (Post 518344)
My car is MaDD Jay dEEE eEmm YOOO!!!!

it was made in japan right??:p

The SVX was made in Japan, but not all of them were made FOR Japan. :)

94SubieSVX 12-30-2007 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele (Post 518347)
The SVX was made in Japan, but not all of them were made FOR Japan. :)

Yeah, so technically it's not JDM because it's not for the Japanese Domestic Market:(

b3lha 12-30-2007 05:15 PM

The JDM key has an infra-red led that transmits a code to a sensor in the driver's door handle. You need to hold it about 6 inches away and aim really carefully.

In the picture, the key on the left is a broken one from a friend's SVX (the transmitter is missing). On the right is a working one from my version L.
http://www.vicorp.com/~skusep/ron/NEW36.jpg

I've also seen a UK car with the sensor handle, so maybe this were an option on European models. If you look at the door handle pull flap, there is a hole about 3 mm high x 10 mm long (estimate) above the key hole. The sensor is behind that hole. The control unit for the infra red locking is located next to the driver's seat belt reel.

ensteele 12-30-2007 05:29 PM

None of the US or Canadian cars have this and the steering wheel is on the other side. :)

ensteele 12-30-2007 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94SubieSVX (Post 518349)
Yeah, so technically it's not JDM because it's not for the Japanese Domestic Market:(

Correct! :) :)

svxistentialist 12-30-2007 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b3lha (Post 518357)
The JDM key has an infra-red led that transmits a code to a sensor in the driver's door handle. You need to hold it about 6 inches away and aim really carefully.

In the picture, the key on the left is a broken one from a friend's SVX (the transmitter is missing). On the right is a working one from my version L.
http://www.vicorp.com/~skusep/ron/NEW36.jpg

I've also seen a UK car with the sensor handle, so maybe this were an option on European models. If you look at the door handle pull flap, there is a hole about 3 mm high x 10 mm long (estimate) above the key hole. The sensor is behind that hole. The control unit for the infra red locking is located next to the driver's seat belt reel.

It's funny you should say that Phil.:)

I have that key type for both my UK Black '93 car and for my UK Silver '95 car.

However I don't know if they work for two reasons; one, I never tried them, and two, possibly the batteries in the key handle are dead.

I'll check it out and see if I can make them work.

Joe:)

[I suspect they won't work because the door latch does not bleep when I lift it, but that's a whole other story.;):D]

b3lha 12-31-2007 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxistentialist (Post 518378)
It's funny you should say that Phil.:)

I have that key type for both my UK Black '93 car and for my UK Silver '95 car.

However I don't know if they work for two reasons; one, I never tried them, and two, possibly the batteries in the key handle are dead.

I'll check it out and see if I can make them work.

Joe:)

[I suspect they won't work because the door latch does not bleep when I lift it, but that's a whole other story.;):D]

Yeah. It was your UK car I was talking about.:lol:

lhopp77 12-31-2007 08:56 AM

Vin

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele (Post 518365)
Correct! :) :)

What are the first 3 VIN digits or your JDM car, Earl? I suspect they are different than USDM VINs.

Lee

ensteele 12-31-2007 12:36 PM

Yes, they are different. It is in the process of getting a new 14 digit VIN instead of the 8 digit one. I will look it up. :)

lhopp77 12-31-2007 12:40 PM

Proof

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele (Post 518518)
Yes, they are different. It is in the process of getting a new 14 digit VIN instead of the 8 digit one. I will look it up. :)

That of course would remove any confusion as to whether JDM or USDM. ;) I assume that the actual VIN will not be replaced--simply another given for US title tracking purposes??

Lee

ensteele 12-31-2007 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhopp77 (Post 518520)
That of course would remove any confusion as to whether JDM or USDM. ;) I assume that the actual VIN will not be replaced--simply another given for US title tracking purposes??

Lee

They claim that the "replace it". They take off the original and rivet on a new one. There isn't one that can be seen through the front window like on the USDM.