The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   My car fixes itself... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=59052)

Huskymaniac 01-17-2012 10:27 AM

My car fixes itself...

sometimes!

Case 1: Last winter was my first winter with the car which had spent its life in TN and GA. When the weather got cold I noticed the idle would bounce a little when I started it. It would eventually settle but it would undershoot and overshoot the desired idle a couple of times. This happened more if the car had been driven a couple hours earlier versus sitting overnight but wouldn't happen if, say, I just stopped to get gas. Well, this winter the problem seems to be gone. I did get the valve cover gaskets and PCV changed late last winter/early spring. Regardless, somehow the problem seems to have fixed itself.

Case 2: Yesterday the "Brake" light was on when I started the car in the morning and stayed on until I got to work. I never use the emergency brake, as I rarely park on a steep incline, and it still seems tight. When I got to work I turned into my parking space (right turn) and the light went off and stayed off.

Now, if only the rattle noise in the front would fix itself and stayed fixed, as well as the #3 O2 sensor that comes on about once every 3-4 months.

icingdeath88 01-17-2012 10:59 AM

Re: My car fixes itself...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huskymaniac (Post 695137)
Case 2: Yesterday the "Brake" light was on when I started the car in the morning and stayed on until I got to work. I never use the emergency brake, as I rarely park on a steep incline, and it still seems tight. When I got to work I turned into my parking space (right turn) and the light went off and stayed off.

Your brake master cylinder has a switch in it for when the brake fluid gets low, that makes the e-brake light come on. Open the cap and see if the rubber thingy inside the cap is popped out, where it would push the floaty thing down to hit the switch, or the brake fluid is low. The "brake" light serves both purposes.

B 4 You 01-17-2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icingdeath88 (Post 695138)
Your brake master cylinder has a switch in it for when the brake fluid gets low, that makes the e-brake light come on. Open the cap and see if the rubber thingy inside the cap is popped out, where it would push the floaty thing down to hit the switch, or the brake fluid is low. The "brake" light serves both purposes.

So that's why my brake light comes on from time to time... I thought that thing was supposed to be popped out... :rolleyes:

LastSVXintheChi 01-17-2012 01:53 PM

mine fixes itself too!! :eek:

every once in a while my check engine light will come on for no apparent reason then it will shut off either by itself or when i shut the car off and turn it back on!

these cars are special ;):rolleyes:

Mr. Nosidda 01-17-2012 03:54 PM

#3 o2 sensor? I was under the impression the SVX only had 2 of them

dragoontwo 01-17-2012 04:23 PM

Why #3 O2 sensor? Because OBD-II.

wohnson89 01-17-2012 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icingdeath88 (Post 695138)

Thank you good sir! I have that same light on my dash,and I thought that it just meant that my e-brake was on. I know where I am going tomorrow...

svxfiles 01-17-2012 08:17 PM

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/use...svxfiles|42164
Kids.:rolleyes:

Huskymaniac 01-17-2012 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxfiles (Post 695164)

What would cause the cap to get pregnant?

svxfiles 01-17-2012 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huskymaniac (Post 695165)

How does that "ignore" feature work again?

:p

svxfiles 01-17-2012 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huskymaniac (Post 695165)

OR, because your reservoir cap is "f---t up!:eek::eek::eek:

jeffs92svx 01-18-2012 01:28 AM

When it is real cold my engine light will come on when i start the car up and rev up and down and will die. It hasnt done it for a while now but the last time it did it I reved it real high and it went off and hasnt been back on or run erratic. My codes when the light was on was for the bypass control valve and 2 o2 sensors. I think maybe it had something gummed up in a vacuum line maybe and the rev blew it out.

gbianchi 01-18-2012 12:56 PM

OK I'll play, my pearle has a check engine light after a drive and shut down then restart, but if I pop the hood after a drive and "check the engine" then no light:confused:. Then the other day went for a drive and the only part of my front wiper switch that worked was mist, where you pull it forward for 1 swipe, oh great I thought, now we are a fair weather car! After driving for awhile I turned to the high setting and left it there, bingo started working correctly:). Ya these cars are SPECIAL alright:rolleyes:......G

Huskymaniac 04-18-2012 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxfiles (Post 695169)
OR, because your reservoir cap is "f---t up!:eek::eek::eek:

Does the pregnant master cylinder cap need to be replaced or is it ok to just "pop" it back down?

processengr 04-18-2012 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huskymaniac (Post 702504)
Does the pregnant master cylinder cap need to be replaced or is it ok to just "pop" it back down?

Ok to pop it back down. The bellows helps keeps moisture absorption by the brake fluid down.(when it is working correctly)