The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   aluminum drive shaft (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=29052)

Jayahalasi 10-19-2005 09:04 AM

aluminum drive shaft

so my driveshaft is F'ed

i need a new one so i'm going to go ahead and get one made (w/ greasable u-joints)

i got a rough estimate (over the phone without any real information about leangth and so on) of $600 is that good/ bad? (i was quoted approx 600+ to replace the stock one)

also does anyone here run a custom driveshaft?
pros/cons?

thanks

msvx95 10-19-2005 10:01 AM

Are they going to balance it or test it too for that price? You wouldn't want whip to occur while driving :eek:
I think the owners that have manual transmissions have had to get longer or shorter shafts.....As for stock, I'm not sure.

mohrds 10-19-2005 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayahalasi
so my driveshaft is F'ed

i need a new one so i'm going to go ahead and get one made (w/ greasable u-joints)

i got a rough estimate (over the phone without any real information about leangth and so on) of $600 is that good/ bad? (i was quoted approx 600+ to replace the stock one)

also does anyone here run a custom driveshaft?
pros/cons?

thanks

I've had the stock joints replaced with greasable ones. I think it was under $200. They cut off the stock joints and welded in new standard yokes then balanced the whole thing.

If you are looking for weight savings and have the extra money, go for it, otherwise try to get yours rebuilt. It will be cheaper.

Doug

Jayahalasi 10-19-2005 10:49 AM

money really isn't an issue (but i don't want to get ripped off)

the weight savings would be nice but isn't really a priority

would getting it rebuilt be relliable?
would an aluminum one?

Red SVX 92 10-19-2005 11:38 AM

Get a carbon fiber driveshaft. That way, if it ever breaks, it won't take the bottom of your car out along with it. :)

mohrds 10-19-2005 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayahalasi
money really isn't an issue (but i don't want to get ripped off)

the weight savings would be nice but isn't really a priority

would getting it rebuilt be relliable?
would an aluminum one?

Mine has been very reliable. The new U-joints are much stronger than the stock ones. I'm assuming this because of the shear size difference.

mbtoloczko 10-19-2005 03:05 PM

Its unlikely that you'll be able to get a one-piece aluminum driveshaft to be vibration-free. The SVX driveline angles are not set up for a one-piece driveshaft. I think mohrd's advice about rebuilding or buying a new one is good. An OEM SVX driveshaft can last at least 100k miles. Probably longer than you'll keep the car. If you go with a new OEM driveshaft, get the early model one. Its got a better quality center joint than the late model ones.

huck369 10-21-2005 11:47 AM

Jaya,
I have a SVX driveshaft you can have for $50 if you want to come pick it up...