The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Front-End Vibration on Highway (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35798)

LarryGreen 10-24-2006 01:54 PM

Front-End Vibration on Highway

My SVX rides fine on the highway until I turn the wheel right or left. As its being turned, there will be vibration at the front end, sort of like the wheels are out of balance. It only happens when turning the wheel at high speed; when going straight, the car is fine. Any thoughts?

And, is this something I can fix without having to go to a mechanic?

Thanks.

DarknessofDeath 10-24-2006 02:39 PM

i believe that if your .....actually no.
i have a warped rim right now and it vibrates on the highway speeds...not much noticable on city

Earthworm 10-24-2006 02:41 PM

I'd be guessing but probably something to do with your axles/CV joints.

Mr. Pockets 10-24-2006 03:16 PM

If not that, then it could be a ball joint. On the old Legacy we had, the car would start vibrating while turning on the freeway. By the time I got around to it, the ball joint was almost gone. I wish I had taken a look at it sooner - it was the car my wife drove to work every day, and I shudder to think about the ball joint failing and causing her to lose control.

So get it looked at. Now. I'm not trying to be mean, I just think it's important enough that you get it looked at before you drive it any more.

dannmarr 10-24-2006 04:07 PM

Check your air pressure, alignment, balance, power steering fluid, and any uneven tire wear, try rotating the tires to see if the sound follows. Could be that simple, We hope.

LarryGreen 11-10-2006 03:17 PM

Thought I'd close the loop on this. I took the car to an NTB to have my tires balanced, since it had been around 10,000 miles since the prior balancing. They also did a front end alignment.

Now, I figured that since I didnt have the vibration problem when driving in a straight line on the highway (only when making a high speed turn); that it couldnt have been the tires being out of balance, or a front end alighnment. But that was apparently the problem, because the problem has gone away.

Trevor 11-10-2006 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LarryGreen
Thought I'd close the loop on this. I took the car to an NTB to have my tires balanced, since it had been around 10,000 miles since the prior balancing. They also did a front end alignment.

Now, I figured that since I didnt have the vibration problem when driving in a straight line on the highway (only when making a high speed turn); that it couldnt have been the tires being out of balance, or a front end alighnment. But that was apparently the problem, because the problem has gone away.

Your feedback is indeed appreciated and worthwhile. There can be two distinct forces generated if a wheel/tyre is out of balance, vertical and or lateral, (sideways). You appear to have had the latter.

It will be noticed that if a proper balance is being performed, weights are placed strategically, i.e. clipped on the outside or inside of the rim, or attached central by double sided tape. Sloppy balancing is a common problem. Stick with the outfit which fixed things for you.