The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Resonator gone (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33946)

Mr. Pockets 06-29-2006 07:31 AM

Resonator gone

I got tired of the resonator on my car buzzing. It's been doing it for years and has gotten worse and worse. So I took it to a Midas this morning and had them cut the stupid thing out and weld in a straight pipe.

I'm not thrilled with the results, but at least it was cheap ($27) and the buzzing is gone. There's a distinct fart noise to it - I can absolutely see why Subaru put that resonator there.

Suby Fan 06-29-2006 07:51 AM

so what kind of fart noise? one that a kid that owns a hondawww cha cha cha would like? because mine does the same thing

Mr. Pockets 06-29-2006 08:28 AM

I don't know, man. It's just flatulent.

You have 20" wheels on your car, so I think it's likely we'll disagree on what 'annoying' is when it comes to exhaust. ;)

n00b on demand 06-29-2006 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Pockets

You have 20" wheels on your car, so I think it's likely we'll disagree on what 'annoying' is when it comes to exhaust. ;)

Way to stereotype that one eh?

shelfy 06-29-2006 09:10 AM

Quote:

agreed! :D

Mr. Pockets 06-29-2006 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n00b on demand
Way to stereotype that one eh?

I don't really understand what you mean by that. Stereotypes don't really enter into it - I was simply pointing out that our tastes clearly differ. :)

Either way, I meant no offense - I was just joking. :)

NikFu S. 06-29-2006 11:20 AM

Do you have a custom exhaust?

Mr. Pockets 06-29-2006 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikFu S.
Do you have a custom exhaust?

Me? No. It's all the original stock parts - minus the resonator now.

SVX10 06-29-2006 02:01 PM

If you're really dis-satisfied, I have a stock center section with a good resonator I could sell you. PM if you're interested. I'll be out of town all next week, but when I get back we could work out a deal, I'm sure.

NikFu S. 06-29-2006 02:37 PM

Quote:

Me? No. It's all the original stock parts - minus the resonator now.

K. This is just me, but after removing the resonator, the exhaust noise on long drives makes my head hurt. I dunno what the conditions are but sometimes my exhaust creates a very deep bassy bellow at 2-3k rpms.

Mr. Pockets 06-29-2006 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikFu S.
K. This is just me, but after removing the resonator, the exhaust noise on long drives makes my head hurt. I dunno what the conditions are but sometimes my exhaust creates a very deep bassy bellow at 2-3k rpms.

Good to know, thanks. I'll be driving it to Indy twice this weekend, so about 600 miles. We'll see how that goes. :)

Uncamitzi 06-29-2006 04:46 PM

My resonator was buzzing ... (kind of like my roof switch and window switches are right now... see other thread) I took my car to Mienike(sp?) and they replaced the resonator with a small "Cherry Bomb"

It sounds fine now.

BlueClaretsvx 06-29-2006 04:59 PM

Mine also

Removed. :)

SSSVX 06-29-2006 06:26 PM

Quote:

Good to know, thanks. I'll be driving it to Indy twice this weekend, so about 600 miles. We'll see how that goes. :)

I might know what you mean if I am going to the same route as you. The money you paid to fix is a cheap deal............:D

PS: 600miles? Hm....how low is still your mileages after you didn't drive her for so long? :p

intelisevil 06-29-2006 08:49 PM

I OWN THE ONLY SVX TO EVER ROLL ON 20"

To set the story straight for Suby Fan, he worked at a wheel/tire store and temporarily installed some 20" rims on his car to see how they would look.

I don't know why I remember this, but he mentioned it in one of his posts.

Dan