The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Frame bent? Is it visible or does it have to go on a machine? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21952)

sxewhodey 10-13-2004 10:15 AM

Frame bent? Is it visible or does it have to go on a machine?

Im buying mudfoots crashed svx and the insurance company never really told him that the frame was definitely bent. Is this only a visual or is it going to cost a lot to have a pro determine this? The car is better than mine as far as electrical, interior, and transmission goes and I was considering putting my stuff over to his as opposed as using his as a parts car. Ill get the link of his crash pictures and post for those of you whom may have not read the post. Im driving it from accross state lines and I wouldnt even trust mine to do that with bad wheel bearings and suspension. I dont know to just look for crimps or put it on machines t determine frame correction.

sxewhodey 10-13-2004 10:19 AM

just to post the wreck pics

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?mudfoot76|1916

huck369 10-13-2004 10:25 AM

I'd swap mudfoots good parts (Tranny, Suspension, hubs) onto your car, as I'd be doing it myself, so it'd only cost me time....to fix the body on his, would cost me money......and your car looks to be in good shape in you pics....just my thoughts.....

sxewhodey 10-13-2004 10:35 AM

Logical thinking says to do so

The only reason I thought of taking mudfoots car to keep is because he has the moonroof. abs, and a good wiring system. My car was a theft recovery I believe and some kids ran the amp off of the windshield wiper (back) hot wire. Cant even find the wire from the meltdown they had and they butchered all the radio hookup wires. Thanks for the input though. Would that abs be tough to run into one without it? I miss abs. That tranny IM getting off the other car is my moneys worth in itself. He didnt getit rebuilt, he got a new one straight from japan. Il be very busy stripping the car this week if I thinkmines the better foundation.

Mr. Pockets 10-13-2004 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by huck369
I'd swap mudfoots good parts (Tranny, Suspension, hubs) onto your car...
I agree. I think it's very possible there's serious damage underneath the skin of that car. You can have somebody take a look at it, but fixing is going to cost a lot of money - money you'll really just be flushing down the toilet.

maroon menace 10-14-2004 01:19 PM

a kink in the rear quarter panel and the roof is usually a good indication of unit body deformation requiring a pull on a frame machine. Does the car track straight when driven? A pull to one side is a dead give away for serious chassis alliginment issues. Unless you have a friend with a jig it's probably gonna cost a bundle.

sxewhodey 10-14-2004 01:46 PM

pull?well find out Friday

Mudfoot says it pull s a little. Ill put in my two cents when I drive it home on Friday night. Wish me luck. haahah. He seems to have taken excellet care of the car and had a lt of work done to it. I think the decision to make t a doonor car would be a good one. How much is a frame straightening on a jig out of curiousity usually.

dcarrb 10-14-2004 02:03 PM

Straightening a bent unibody and getting it right would probably cost about what you'd pay for a decent SVX.

dcb

Chiketkd 10-14-2004 02:55 PM

Question...

What kind of Porsche is that in Mudfoot's locker? I've never seen that body style before??? Looks knda like an MG or an old 60's Lotus Elan....

-Chike

Mr. Pockets 10-14-2004 04:37 PM

That would be a 914.

NapaBavarian 10-14-2004 07:07 PM

SCRAP METAL!!!

Ask MudFoot what the insurance estimate was, I would guess from pictures that it is in the 10k range, I've torn a few wrecked cars apart, and I've seen the underlying damage, the damage in the pictures and all the little things to fix would add up quickly, you'd be better off to strip both cars naked and swap wiring harneses over, but that won't give you a sun roof:(

sxewhodey 10-14-2004 07:50 PM

yeah IM definitely going to make the totaled one a donor

Mine has a few problems but I should be able to get many good parts out of it and keep my Subaru running. The engine isnt supposed to leak at all either so maybeIl find another host with a good frame and tranny later. Cant wait to get started. Goa purchase a heater to keep the ice outta my bonesin the garage this winter, rock on, hahah.:cool:

Chiketkd 10-14-2004 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
That would be a 914.
Merci! :)

-Chike

mudfoot76 10-14-2004 08:39 PM

The car pulls to the left if you keep the steering wheel on center. Otherwise it still drives fine. Like I stated in a previous thread, the engine doesn't leak, drip, or burn oil. The tranny is only one year old. All the electrics work perfectly. Glass is original and in excellent shape. If it becomes a parts car, my SVX has many excellent parts to help the rest of you keep your beauties on the road.

Insurance estimates that it would cost $4600 to repair, but most of that was to buy a new trunk lid and rear bumper assembly, I do not believe any frame straightening is part of that. I don't have a comprehensive estimate from the body shop, just the first glance figure my insurance company gave me after the accident.

I find it hard to believe there is someone on this board that doesn't recognize a 914 Porsche :) Someone once mistook it for a Fiat...but Triumph? Even on the worst day, the electrics in my 914 are light years more superior than any Triumph :D

Mr. Pockets 10-14-2004 08:45 PM

At every autocross in Rantoul at least one of several 914s shows up. One of them has a 2.7(?)L 911 engine in it.