The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Anyone experience a catastrophic wheel bearing failure? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=59963)

Tapani 06-03-2012 06:50 AM

Anyone experience a catastrophic wheel bearing failure?

I know the rear wheel bearing has been endlessly chewed, but has anyone experienced a real failure - wheel seize or a bearing disintegrate?

Mine are droning some what, but since I plan on dropping the whole rear subframe next winter I am pondering if I could live with the noise until then.

Thanks,

Tapani

Crazy_pilot 06-03-2012 08:10 AM

Re: Anyone experience a catastrophic wheel bearing failure?

OT has a good story of one. It involves fire, as far as I remember.

B 4 You 06-03-2012 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot (Post 705641)
OT has a good story of one. It involves fire, as far as I remember.

Fire and a 3 wheeled vehicle, i think.

scoobydo 06-03-2012 08:41 AM

Sounds like you should get the spanners out !:eek:

jetboy 06-03-2012 12:40 PM

I think OT's story involved a loose handbrake drum or something.

I've driven over 8000km with a bad rear bearing. Noise is awful but it hasn't gotten any worse lately :D

I bought hubs and bearings and seals from genuinesubaruparts.com, delivery was swift.

Crazy_pilot 06-03-2012 12:51 PM

Aha! Found it:

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxfiles (Post 503770)
I recently followed a guy to my house with a very bad right rear wheel bearing.
I advised him not to drive it that far, about 100 miles, and he insisted we go all the way to my shop.
WITHOUT STOPPING ONCE!!!
2.6 miles from my home the rr axle boot caught FIRE!!!!!
And fell out from under the car.
The heat was generated by the parking brake shoes rubbing on the inside of the rr brake rotor.
The axle, wheel bearing, rr hub, parking brake cable, ABS sensor, rotor, backing plate, caliper mounting bracket, and more were ruined.:mad::(

Blacky 06-03-2012 01:36 PM

That would be considered catastrophic in my books.:eek:

jetboy 06-03-2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot (Post 705656)
Aha! Found it:

Excuse my ignorance but was this a consequence of the bearing?

redlightningsvx 06-03-2012 02:59 PM

yes, yes it is

Crazy_pilot 06-03-2012 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetboy (Post 705660)
Excuse my ignorance but was this a consequence of the bearing?

As the bearing wears it develops play, which in turn allows the parking brake to rub against the rotor. As such it wasn't the bearing itself that blew up, but a secondary failure caused by the wear and misalignment of the bearing.

jetboy 06-04-2012 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot (Post 705701)
As the bearing wears it develops play, which in turn allows the parking brake to rub against the rotor. As such it wasn't the bearing itself that blew up, but a secondary failure caused by the wear and misalignment of the bearing.

Yes, that was the only logic I could see.

Is there any way I can check this on my car? My appointment with the garage is next monday (after about a month of postponement). I still might want to drive until taht.

Crazy_pilot 06-04-2012 05:28 AM

Jack up the corner of the car, grab the top and bottom of the tire and shake it up and down. You'll be able to feel any play in the bearing as slop in the wheel. It's hard to say what the limit is before you start getting trouble like that other guy, but if the wheel is moving around I'd limit the length of trips you take.

jetboy 06-04-2012 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot (Post 705717)
Jack up the corner of the car, grab the top and bottom of the tire and shake it up and down. You'll be able to feel any play in the bearing as slop in the wheel. It's hard to say what the limit is before you start getting trouble like that other guy, but if the wheel is moving around I'd limit the length of trips you take.

Thanks! They're due replacement upcoming monday so I guess I don't have to drive that much until then anyway :)

Tapani 06-09-2012 09:31 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I'm almost finished.....

I decided to drop the exhaust and the dear diff to get the axles out - much easier than trying to open the rusted up supension bolts.....

I also used an old trick to get the outer races out - I welded a bead with MIG on both rolling surface, all around the circumference. When the liquid solidifies it contracts the race just enough to be able just to tap it out :-). Works like a dream. Those who fear distorting the knuckle do not do this ;).

The drivers side outer race was toast - a huge area of typical surface fatigue.

The grease in the new OEM bearings looked good, but I did change it to SKF EP stuff.

I used a long hardened threaded bar from a spring (McPherson) tool to pull everything back together and odd and ends laying around in the garage.

Exhaust and brake caliper installation tomorrow - had to call it a night.

Tapani

- edit: Added two photos. Looks like "spalling caused by smearing", i.e. primary cause is lack of lubrication (surface roughness details fuse together - see the roller). The grease was cooked - all black and hard. 20 years and 129kmiles. The nicks in the outer race were caused by me using the part as a tool. Do not look at my welding quality :-). The rolling resistance of the car decreased significantly - let's see if that has any effect on fuel mileage.

Huskymaniac 06-09-2012 10:46 PM

Just had a total failure of the front right wheel bearing on my..........Toro lawn tractor. Got new bearings but have no way to press them into the hub. Looks like the lawn is going to get higher!