The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   hmmm prob a dumb Q (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51921)

92sVx1987 10-06-2009 06:55 PM

hmmm prob a dumb Q

ok so my svx will be at like a Quarter of a tank when i get home i wake up in the morning to go to work start the car and its on E i have a locking gas cap and i live in the boonies so not being drained checked for leaks none any ideas?

ps make sure to breathe during my stupidly large non sentence lol
:eek:

ensteele 10-06-2009 07:03 PM

Re: hmmm prob a dumb Q

Don't go by the gauge. Fill it up and when you are near empty, check to see how many gallons to fill it up. The fuel gauge is very unreliable. :)

92sVx1987 10-06-2009 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele (Post 620562)
Don't go by the gauge. Fill it up and when you are near empty, check to see how many gallons to fill it up. The fuel gauge is very unreliable. :)

hmm anyway i can fix it?

SoCal LS-L 10-06-2009 07:45 PM

My sender has a couple blank spots, when the fuel level gets to either 2/3 full or 1/4 full, the gauge will go back and forth between the actual level and zero level.... which drives me nuts. If this is the case with yours at 1/4 tank, a new sending unit should fix this, although im not sure if ours is a separate unit from the fuel pump assy.

davew833 10-06-2009 09:35 PM

The sender is attached to the fuel pump, but is a separate unit. If I recall (it's been a few years since I took one out) there are two floats (the tank is split because of the driveshaft tunnel) and one or two wipers that can be cleaned to improve fuel gauge operation. Access is through the round port under the bottom cushion of the back seat-- the senders and the fuel pump all come out through the one hole. I think there's one bolt or nut that holds the two floats (one per side) to the fuel pump bracket which is centered. The floats and sender then unclip from the mount and you have to angle them a couple of times to get them out of the hole.

SVXalter 10-06-2009 11:36 PM

I have a somewhat similar problem.

My gas light does not come on. I get near empty and the light never comes on. When I first bought the car the gas light was on and there were about 6 gallons of gas left. I have been down to 3 gallons with no light. Just a bulb or could it be something else?

SoCal LS-L 10-07-2009 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVXalter (Post 620607)
I have a somewhat similar problem.

My gas light does not come on. I get near empty and the light never comes on. When I first bought the car the gas light was on and there were about 6 gallons of gas left. I have been down to 3 gallons with no light. Just a bulb or could it be something else?

I doubt its the light.... im not 100% sure but I believe theres a separate sensor for the fuel light, as even when my gauge is far below E, the light still does not come on.

This may require a 5 gallon gas can and a nice long drive on E to confirm.... but its hard to verify just how low the fuel really is in the pick-up side of the tank because of the venturi effect fuel transfer from the other side of the saddle.

davew833 10-07-2009 07:29 PM

I've always understood that the 'empty' light is on a separate sensor which "never" fails-- at least rarely in comparison to the gauge sensor.

Tuck 10-08-2009 08:00 AM

I think you'll find that the low fuel light comes on with about two gallons left. Not as bad as you think as that is about 10% of capacity.

Tuck

bwb3 10-08-2009 08:20 AM

I tried the run down test and ran out of gas, no light.
Gene

SoCal LS-L 10-08-2009 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwb3 (Post 620771)
I tried the run down test and ran out of gas, no light.
Gene

+1 Paranoia :eek:

I sometimes let it go under the E before fill-up. "Aww the light hasn't even come on yet!"

As opposed to pushing my car through Orange County traffic, maybe ill fill 'er up more often...

trophy956 10-08-2009 05:38 PM

hi subarus have been having this problem for years ,they did a study on the north east because of MTEB being added to fuel ,it was a caustic deadly chemical ,any way it turns the contacts black ,you can take them out and clean them with a good eraser ,as for the fuel light its a sensor mounted on the fuel pump side and has to be out of the fuel before it turns the light on
ill have to check my book but i think the light is a diode