The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Grinding noise from alternator area? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38130)

blue thunder 03-28-2007 06:52 AM

Grinding noise from alternator area?

Never had this noise before. I think it is coming from alternator but not 100% sure. A grinding noise that comes on and off every few seconds. Not a squealing noise. I have a new belt and I adjusted the tension a few times but the noise persists. Has anyone had the bearings go bad in the alternator? Someone said that could be the issue. I may take it to the store to have it tested if it makes the noise there. Any ideas what this noise is would be appreciated.

Mike:)

rallyingrob 03-28-2007 01:15 PM

could be bearings starting to let go.....
if its still charging properly, then it isnt (likely) a winding or something coming loose

it could even be a piece of debris caught in the alternator somehow.......did u ever have a belt break?(including a/c) a piece of the old belt could be in there....i had that with mine.....no noise or charging issues due to it....but pieces of belt literally hanging out of the housing...

Suby Fan 03-28-2007 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue thunder
Never had this noise before. I think it is coming from alternator but not 100% sure. A grinding noise that comes on and off every few seconds. Not a squealing noise. I have a new belt and I adjusted the tension a few times but the noise persists. Has anyone had the bearings go bad in the alternator? Someone said that could be the issue. I may take it to the store to have it tested if it makes the noise there. Any ideas what this noise is would be appreciated.

take the belt off and see if it still grinds while the belt is off check to see if the bearings on the pullys are loose ... the fact that it goes on and off could be the a/c clutch... watch it to see if the grinding starts when the clutch turns on

blue thunder 03-30-2007 09:00 PM

Thanks for the replies on this. I have not done any troubleshooting on this noise but time has run out. The noise tonight went from the grinding to a more high pitched whistle and then at one point some smoke started coming out and I could smell a burning rubber. I got home ok and now must figure out a plan since this is my only car. Always on friday. Thanks.

Speedklix 03-31-2007 07:06 AM

...could it be your crank pulley?

Earthworm 06-06-2007 09:48 PM

No answer? :confused:

Could have also been the tensioner pulley bearing.

blue thunder 06-07-2007 12:28 AM

Yes it was the idler pulley making the noise. After about a week the bearings completely froze up and caused the belt to start smoking. After replacing the pulley and a new belt my A/C started working again after years of not blowing cold air. The pulley must have been just hanging up enough to mess up the a/c system. Thanks.