The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Subaru Outback - gas milage problem (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35991)

zamorush 11-05-2006 02:32 PM

Subaru Outback - gas milage problem

I have been driving my Dad's outback for the past two years. The SVX is at home, not exaclty a "carry it all" vehicle.

Recently, i have noticed that the gas milage on the outback wend down dramatically. I would usually get about 23 City/26 Highway, now, it is 19 City/22 Highway. Also, some other sumptoms that i have noticed is rolling resistance when in neutral. I used to throw the car in neutral when going down Great Vine (LA area), and it would pick up speed from 65 - 85. Now it does the opposite, and slows down from 80 to 65.

There are several things that i have tried in order to fix this problem. First, i though that it might be my catalytic converter. However, after checking the back pressure, the theory failed. I changed oil in the tranny and engine. My dad rebuilt the whole tranny. Changed fuil, oil and air filters. Polished discs, and checked the front and rear differentials. Everything seems fine.

Things i have't done are, checked the TCU and ECU. Technically i can replace them, but it is too much money.

Can anyone help me with this problem? What could have changed to bring my gas milage down and bring some kind of weird rolling resistance?

thanks

nik

Manarius 11-05-2006 02:42 PM

Sticking Caliper or burnt out MC?

zamorush 11-05-2006 07:02 PM

Quote:

Manarius, I am not sure what is "burn out MC". About the caliper, my dad checked all of them, non rubs, sticks or anything like that.

nik

Manarius 11-05-2006 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zamorush
Manarius, I am not sure what is "burn out MC". About the caliper, my dad checked all of them, non rubs, sticks or anything like that.

nik

Master Cylinder. 2 years ago my brother's car had dragging brakes caused by a leaking master cylinder (more rather it was leaking on the inside).

Here's an idea: Put the car on a slight hill and put it in neutral. If it holds position, it's most likely something in the brake system. Could be a bearing or an axle.

Here's another idea: Drive the car for a while and try not to use any brake to slow it down (like speed up on a straight and roll to a stop somewhere). Check all the rims to see if one is noticeably warmer than the rest. This could be indicative of either a worn out MC or worn bearing/axle. I'd do the hill test to strike out the MC first though.

subi-crosser 11-05-2006 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manarius

Both of my 97 outbacks mileage went down to 18 / 22 range when the last round of gas price GOUGING took effect. ( they were doing about 29 mpg, highway)
The cars are identical but the colors.
Both cars act exactly the same as before and both took the 'mileage' dive at the same time.
Did all the usual stuff and came to the conclusion that they are both healthy and I was trying to compensate for poor quality, overpriced fuel.

zamorush 11-05-2006 11:27 PM

Quote:

Both of my 97 outbacks mileage went down to 18 / 22 range when the last round of gas price GOUGING took effect. ( they were doing about 29 mpg, highway)
The cars are identical but the colors.
Both cars act exactly the same as before and both took the 'mileage' dive at the same time.
Did all the usual stuff and came to the conclusion that they are both healthy and I was trying to compensate for poor quality, overpriced fuel.
So why did the bad gas did not affect SVXes? My svx used to get 24 - 25, and it is still the same.

subi-crosser 11-06-2006 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zamorush
So why did the bad gas did not affect SVXes? My svx used to get 24 - 25, and it is still the same.

We have different politicians DICTATING what gas we BUY. Your gas ALWAYS sucks!
Ours just started sucking recently...

When a guy from Cal moved to our area,( in 1980) and brought a Chevy he bought there in the late 70's, It had 'stuff' that I had never seen holding back the performance of a car before..
Since then, I have watched what the 'greenies' have done to the automotive world in Cal,, including "Static Pollution credits", where a company can continue pouring out pollutants, IF they crush non- cat cars! ie 67 Camaros, etc.

You can tell me 'it ain't so', but Hot Rod mag proved otherwise a long time ago!

Speedklix 11-07-2006 12:44 AM

Interesting guys.. My 2.2 soob sporting cali heads took a sudden dive as well. I figured it just meant I had some fixin' coming up soon, but now I wonder :confused:

Bailey 11-08-2006 03:54 AM

Weird.. I just noticed my gas gauge seemed to be going downquite a bit faster than usual on my last 2 fill- ups on my 2005 Forester. I noticed it two weeks ago when I filled up, and then again this week. I thought maybe it was just my imagination. I didn't track of the actual mileage driven because I convinced myself I was just imagining it. Now I am wondering.

subi-crosser 11-09-2006 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bailey
Weird.. I just noticed my gas gauge seemed to be going downquite a bit faster than usual on my last 2 fill- ups on my 2005 Forester. I noticed it two weeks ago when I filled up, and then again this week. I thought maybe it was just my imagination. I didn't track of the actual mileage driven because I convinced myself I was just imagining it. Now I am wondering.

I have increased the tire pressure, changed to JB lubricants in trans, transfer case, put fuel injector cleaner and added Lucas oil to the crankcase, and my mileage still SUCKS!!!!
I bought a set of new tires today to try to eeeek out a couple miles per gallon...
I am getting ready to shut off the engine and drift down hills!!!!

LarryIII 11-09-2006 04:44 AM

Zamorush,

Have you changed tires recently. The rolloing resistance of different tires varies greatly. Also, check your tire pressure.

subi-crosser 11-10-2006 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LarryIII
Zamorush,

Have you changed tires recently. The rolloing resistance of different tires varies greatly. Also, check your tire pressure.

On thursday, I had a set of Dayton Datonas installed... It's like I never drove the car before!
Quicker response, better ride etc..
The Winston Winners were on it when I bought it over 3 years ago. They were not worn out, but were down to the point that I didn't want to fight snow with them.
Don't know what effect it will have on mileage, but the CONFIDANCE level went up dramatically!