The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   lots of smoke and anger (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1768)

maestro 10-22-2001 09:33 PM

lots of smoke and anger

I was driving my SVX this morning on my way to work, when: I noticed a little smoke, no prob as i had seen this once or twice before, i thought. About 8 miles later i looked back to see a very havey trail of white smoke. I thought it was the oil, but it didn't overheat at all. I mad it to work quite disgruntled. Later i checked and the oil is fine, but hteres no coolant. Could the line have just been trickling and then broke? Would coolant on the block smoke? Also gas mileage seems to be terrible in these things, i get maybe 200 miles to a tank (12 gallons?). My father (a mechanic, who has fixed an svx recently [changed both front axles in an hour] ) says to just put oil where the coolant would go and just drive it the 8 miles home. Any iedes on the problem? Thanks.

BTW, now i have to drive an 1980 something 300zx to work:mad:

Aredubjay 10-22-2001 10:25 PM

Re: lots of smoke and anger

Quote:

Originally posted by maestro
I was driving my SVX this morning on my way to work, when: I noticed a little smoke, no prob as i had seen this once or twice before, i thought. About 8 miles later i looked back to see a very havey trail of white smoke. I thought it was the oil, but it didn't overheat at all. I mad it to work quite disgruntled. Later i checked and the oil is fine, but hteres no coolant. Could the line have just been trickling and then broke? Would coolant on the block smoke? Also gas mileage seems to be terrible in these things, i get maybe 200 miles to a tank (12 gallons?). My father (a mechanic, who has fixed an svx recently [changed both front axles in an hour] ) says to just put oil where the coolant would go and just drive it the 8 miles home. Any iedes on the problem? Thanks.

The odor of coolant is VERY distinctive and would not create black smoke. It would create a rather "rancid" steam. Black smoke would be created by a poorly tuned engine or one with a failing combustion chamber. Put oil where the coolant would go? I've never heard of this. Could you have your dad explain?

Mr. Pockets 10-23-2001 08:29 AM

Re: lots of smoke and anger

Quote:

Gas mileage varies depending on length of trips, consistency of speed, highway vs town driving, outside air temperature, etc. In town in the cold i have gotten as low as 16mpg. On the freeway at a consistent speed and in warm weather I recently got 31.4mpg.

The tank, by the way, holds 18.5 gallons. I would bet that you have the same pessimistic gas gauge that the rest of us do. If I do a lot of town driving, mine will read empty when I've only used 10gal. There is a gas light, though, that I have found to be VERY consistent in my car - it comes on when I have 4 gallons left, every time.

Zombie 10-23-2001 09:17 AM

uhhh... pockets?/? What the H3LL are you talking about????:confused: :eek:

Mr. Pockets 10-23-2001 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Zombie
uhhh... pockets?/? What the H3LL are you talking about????:confused: :eek:
I don't have a clue what the answer is to his major problems. I'm actually even confused by his description and his father's suggestions.

But he did mention that his mileage was poor and that he thought his tank was 12gal. So I suggested what factors affect mileage and what mine typically is given those factors.

Okay, so I didn't specifically say, 'I don't have an answer for your loss of coolant or smoke, but concerning your mileage...' Sorry. Jeez.

nvrmore100 10-23-2001 12:43 PM

Re: Re: lots of smoke and anger

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay
The odor of coolant is VERY distinctive and would not create black smoke.
He said "would coolant on the BLOCK smoke?" not "would coolant make a BLACK smoke". Get some glasses. :D

As for putting oil in the coolant resevoir......yes please have him explain....

:)

Ryan

wasions 10-23-2001 12:54 PM

You didn't say whether the smoke was coming out of the engine compartment, or the tailpipe. Engine compartment - could maybe be a water pump gasket, blowing back on the exhaust manifold. Tailpipe - ouch, possibly a blown/cracked head/gasket.

Steve

Aredubjay 10-23-2001 01:03 PM

Re: Re: Re: lots of smoke and anger

Quote:

Originally posted by nvrmore100

He said "would coolant on the BLOCK smoke?" not "would coolant make a BLACK smoke". Get some glasses. :D

Ryan

OOPS! I'm sorry. It must've been his accent. :p :D

SVXphile 10-23-2001 02:40 PM

Accent

<OOPS! I'm sorry. It must've been his accent.>

No it was his SVX, not his Hyundai; you were right the first time.:rolleyes: Don

maestro 10-23-2001 04:39 PM

sorry, i was agitated when i posted it:) he didnt say put oil where the coolant goes, he said put water where the coolant goes, untill it gets home (about 8 miles). stupid mistake. Anyway, i started it after puting water in the coolant place, and it runs fine. problem is the transmission barely engages. i put it in drive and it has to be at about 4000 rpm just to inch forward. reverse is like 5k.no smoke though, but i only ran it for a couple of minutes. no engine lights come on either. maybe it isnt coolant at all, but trans fluid?

Mr. Pockets 10-23-2001 04:52 PM

Quote:

sorry, i was agitated when i posted it:) he didnt say put oil where the coolant goes, he said put water where the coolant goes, untill it gets home (about 8 miles). stupid mistake. Anyway, i started it after puting water in the coolant place, and it runs fine. problem is the transmission barely engages. i put it in drive and it has to be at about 4000 rpm just to inch forward. reverse is like 5k.no smoke though, but i only ran it for a couple of minutes. no engine lights come on either. maybe it isnt coolant at all, but trans fluid?
I would absolutely check your transmission fluid level. Hopefully all you need to do is top it off, but it sounds to me like you lost a hose somewhere.

Don't drive it any more until you do this. The transmission is extremely sensitive to heat, and without fluid flowing through it I imagine the heat could build up real fast-like.

Good luck.

Aredubjay 10-23-2001 06:48 PM

Quote:

Phew! That's a relief. :D I was really getting worried. Hope all works out well for you. I'd definitely check ALL the fluids.

Zombie 10-23-2001 07:12 PM

Dude... mr. Pockets... I feel like and A$$clown. I diddnt even notice the part of his post that mentioned the fule mileage... I was focused on the smoke.... So when I read your reply, I was thinking.... where did tank size and mileage come from???? Sometimes I have been known to accdentally post in thewrong thred. I thought thats what you hade done, when I was just being a moron. Sorry man.... and I thought you were confused.....:rolleyes:

Ron Mummert 10-23-2001 09:29 PM

Re: Accent

Quote:

Originally posted by SVXphile
<OOPS! I'm sorry. It must've been his accent.>

No it was his SVX, not his Hyundai; you were right the first time.:rolleyes: Don

Another occidental observation, Don?

Ron Mummert 10-23-2001 09:43 PM

Black smoke - block smoke, oil as coolant, fule mileage, 12 gallon gas tanks.... Jeez, could somebody rewind this thread & start over?
Thanks, Ron.