The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Timing Belt? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31703)

LiquidForce 02-22-2006 10:41 AM

Timing Belt?

Should the timing belt have marks on it that line up with the marks on the crank and cam gears? The reason I ask is the belt that was on the car looks very new but doesn't have any alignment marks on it like the one on my wrx has.

SVX-FF 02-22-2006 10:51 AM

Yes the belt will have marks on it when it is new. As time goes on those marks wear off quickly, in about 5,000 miles. That is just my experence.
I know that you can place the marks on the belt yourself but the marks need to be, I think, 32 teeth apart. You can refrence the manual for the correct tooth count.

Steve

Earthworm 02-22-2006 10:51 AM

I can confirm the belts from Subaru have marks on them.

svxcuseme 02-22-2006 11:57 AM

Mike,

Not sure where you get parts from but I have been buying Subaru parts from Baker Imported Auto parts for the last few years. They have a branch in Roswell on Roswell Rd. Just North of three Dollar Cafe and one on piedmont Rd. Since the Japanese distributors have started selling Subaru parts to other distributors besides the dealer, you can now get many factory parts at aftermarket prices (parts even come with the 10 digit, alpha numeric, Subaru factory part numbers!!!).

I just bought new cam sensors, wheel bearings, and timing belt idler pulleys from them. All for tons less then the dealer or Subaruparts.com. Great news for us is we don't have to pay shipping!

I got my timing belt there a couple days ago, which was not a Subaru belt, but it had the marks on it. Hope this helps.

Marc

P.S. Hope you're still not mad at me for grabbing the pedal assembly.;)

LiquidForce 02-22-2006 03:11 PM

How much was the timing belt?

No I am not mad at you for grabbing the pedal assembly. Now that I have one I am angry at trying to put it in instead:mad:

What a pain that job is.

svxcuseme 02-22-2006 05:07 PM

You know they did'nt beat the subaruparts.com price. It was $77. I did'nt check the price before calling so I did'nt try and negotiate down. If you call them and they give you that price just say you can get it online for $76 and they will drop it a little.

Yeah the pedals were a pain :eek: . Are you working on it this weekend? Maybe I could stop by and see your progress. I kept the carboard templates I used to make the holes for the Clutch MC and plate to cover the wiring harness hole. Your welcome to use them if you like.

LiquidForce 02-22-2006 06:24 PM

Man any help I can get with the pedal box is greatly appreciated. If it is rainy this weekend I'll be working on it. Other wise I am heading up to Commerce to see if I can finally break into the 11's with the WRX.

I'll drop you a pm when I know what I am going to do.

thanks
Mike K

immortal_suby 02-22-2006 06:57 PM

when I did the timing belts at over 100k on them they (oem subaru) still had the factory marks on them to line them up before I took them off.

Phil Hill 02-23-2006 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxcuseme
You know they did'nt beat the subaruparts.com price. It was $77. I did'nt check the price before calling so I did'nt try and negotiate down. If you call them and they give you that price just say you can get it online for $76 and they will drop it a little.

Yeah the pedals were a pain :eek: . Are you working on it this weekend? Maybe I could stop by and see your progress. I kept the carboard templates I used to make the holes for the Clutch MC and plate to cover the wiring harness hole. Your welcome to use them if you like.

Don't want to open old wounds, but here in good old UK the stealership wanted £115 plus tax (17.5%) just for the belt.......... I got someone stateside to buy me one from Subaruparts and "handcarry" back to UK for me !! Mind you still haven't got around to changing it yet........

Have fun.

Phil.

SVX-FF 02-23-2006 04:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I found my manuals and have attached the one that deals a lot with general maintenance on the engine. The infomation in the timing baelt is about 5 pages in. Hope this helps.
I still have not foud the article about haw many teeth distance between the marks it is.

Steve

LiquidForce 02-23-2006 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVX-FF
I found my manuals and have attached the one that deals a lot with general maintenance on the engine. The infomation in the timing baelt is about 5 pages in. Hope this helps.
I still have not foud the article about haw many teeth distance between the marks it is.

Steve

thanks for the pdf.