The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   5mt cable trans replaced by hydro push style? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25672)

TomsSVX 04-20-2005 03:57 PM

5mt cable trans replaced by hydro push style?

I want to get a new trans. My question is this, since there are very few cable transmissions out there up tp the job, can i convert a push style hydro trans to accept a cable? Is it more than just bolting up the cable and hooking it up the end of the fork? Well please anyone throw some knowledge at me.

Tom

THAWA 04-25-2005 07:03 PM

I don't know for certain if you can convert every one from hydro to cable, but I do know you can convert some years. I personally am using a 98 rs trans in my legacy converted from hydro to cable. You need to change the pivot pin position from the top one to the bottom (or vice versa, I forget right now). And use the cable style clutch fork. I assume you are using a cable style clutch/brake bracket, but if not you need that specific bracket. My question to you though is, why not use the hydro setup?

Earthworm 04-26-2005 11:29 AM

I do agree with using the hydro setup. In the end you have a better product. Since you've already put so much into your car so far, this should almost be a given.

WRX pedals would probably be the easiest ones to install. It's too bad you weren't closer as you could see how good the pedals fit.

See http://svx-iw.com/pics/5speed/images/IM002358.jpg for a pic of the SVX pedals beside the WRX pedals. The only modification was I cut the top 2 bolt holes off the SVX assembly (near the brake switch) and welded it to the end of the WRX assembly.

TomsSVX 04-26-2005 12:21 PM

I may do this this in time, but right now, I am not too concerned with converting over to hydro.
Thnx for the pix dave

Tom

Subafreak 04-28-2005 07:04 PM

I don't belive there is really any benifit is changing from cable to hydro unless you are gonna use a pull style tranny/clutch. Altho no one seems to be able to conclude this answer; I'm sure Subaru uses the pull style clutch becuse it's desing makes it hold stronger. You should be able to get a clutch that will hold as much as you want with the cable tranny, just as much as a push style hydro tranny. The only real reason to switch to a hydro pedal assembly is if you plan to run a pull style tranny, ( ie. Turbo Legacy, WRX, STI)

oab_au 04-28-2005 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subafreak
I don't belive there is really any benifit is changing from cable to hydro unless you are gonna use a pull style tranny/clutch. Altho no one seems to be able to conclude this answer; I'm sure Subaru uses the pull style clutch becuse it's desing makes it hold stronger. You should be able to get a clutch that will hold as much as you want with the cable tranny, just as much as a push style hydro tranny. The only real reason to switch to a hydro pedal assembly is if you plan to run a pull style tranny, ( ie. Turbo Legacy, WRX, STI)

The pull type pressure plate clutch has a different finger arrangement that allows a higher spring pressure, AND a lower pedal pressure. This would be the best clutch to use all round.

Harvey. ;)

Subafreak 04-28-2005 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oab_au
The pull type pressure plate clutch has a different finger arrangement that allows a higher spring pressure, AND a lower pedal pressure. This would be the best clutch to use all round.

Harvey. ;)

I KNEW IT WAS TRUE!!!!!!! :D

TomsSVX 04-28-2005 11:03 PM

the next trans I plan on buying is the forester xt trans with 4.11s. Seems to be the strongest 4.11 5mt out there so looks like thats it. Also, If I ever blow that trans up, I will probly go with a 6mt but that wouldn't happen for a long time. Hydro looks to be my best option right now.

Tom