The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Hello all (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42408)

Ownbot 12-19-2007 02:42 PM

Hello all

I'm new to the SVX world network. I live near Pittsburgh and just bought a 94 LS (not the tranny eating AWD ..lol). As a new owner, I have many questions about these cars. I've wanted one since I was a kid and I'm very excited to have one now. More to follow. Thanks

Ownbot

ensteele 12-19-2007 02:49 PM

Welcome to the site. Is that your Peal in the picture by your name? :)

Ownbot 12-19-2007 02:52 PM

Yep

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele (Post 516401)
Welcome to the site. Is that your Peal in the picture by your name? :)

Yep, sure is. And just to let you know, the pic of all your cars together is just like the dream I have all the time!!

svxfiles 12-19-2007 03:09 PM

Congratulations on your new car!
Welcome to The Club.

There lots of PGH. SVXers so you have some company!

SVeXy96 12-19-2007 03:12 PM

Welcome to the community...and beautiful car by the way:) If you have questions you def. came to the right place! Enjoy your car!

cruisen_15 12-19-2007 03:17 PM

hey, welcome... to the sight i guess... youll find your place among the people who belong to this site... right now i fit in with about only 2 people... :WTF:

Mike621 12-21-2007 07:21 PM

I didnt know they made Pearl LS models in 1994. In fact, I was under the impression that all Pearls in 1994 were LSi (AWD) , all 80-something Pearls that year.

Can anyone confirm this?

Have you looked underneath your car to see if theres a rear diff? Im so curious. I know they had Emerald, Barcelona Red, Laguna Blue, and Bordeaux Pearl FWD cars, but I didnt know about any others...:confused::confused:

Regardless, welcome to the site :) !

Mike621 12-21-2007 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cruisen_15 (Post 516415)
hey, welcome... to the sight i guess... youll find your place among the people who belong to this site... right now i fit in with about only 2 people... :WTF:

Lol we are all a little crazy. You just scared me with all of your talk, "if i wreck it" and " i just rallied it til the oil temp light came on" and all of that. I hope you changed the trans fluid and the oil :o.

Ownbot 12-21-2007 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike621 (Post 516967)
I didnt know they made Pearl LS models in 1994. In fact, I was under the impression that all Pearls in 1994 were LSi (AWD) , all 80-something Pearls that year.

Can anyone confirm this?

Have you looked underneath your car to see if theres a rear diff? Im so curious. I know they had Emerald, Barcelona Red, Laguna Blue, and Bordeaux Pearl FWD cars, but I didnt know about any others...:confused::confused:

Regardless, welcome to the site :) !

Yes I have looked underneath the car. No rear diff. Im sure. I know 94 and 95 are the only years they even made any FWD and mine is indeed Pearl white. I have heard that the FWD is a bit faster than the tranny eating, rotor warping AWD. I have a friend that has a red 94 L and a 97 Green LSi and she swears the 94 has better acceleration. Mine has 155k on it with the originial tranny and I would not have wanted it if it was AWD without a rebuild. It shifts perfect and my mechanic changed the ATF and said there were no signs of significant wear and that everything looked good. I hope and pray i dont have any problems with it.

ensteele 12-21-2007 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cruisen_15 (Post 516415)

Why is that? :confused: :)

ensteele 12-21-2007 09:16 PM

If you post your VIN, we can tell what the model is for sure. :)

ensteele 12-21-2007 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ownbot (Post 516990)
I have heard that the FWD is a bit faster than the tranny eating, rotor warping AWD. I have a friend that has a red 94 L and a 97 Green LSi and she swears the 94 has better acceleration.

The 97 is not as fast as the 94 - the 97 has a speed limiter on it.

The AWD tranny is not as bad as you make it out to be. The AWD also doesn't warp rotors any worse than the FWD either. :o

It's Just Eric 12-21-2007 09:22 PM

ditto, bad rotors arent caused by the tranny

Welcome to the site

Ownbot 12-21-2007 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele (Post 516997)
The 97 is not as fast as the 94 - the 97 has a speed limiter on it.

The AWD tranny is not as bad as you make it out to be. The AWD also doesn't warp rotors any worse than the FWD either. :o

yea but the weight of the AWD warps rotors is how I understand it. And actually the 92 and 93 did not have speed limiters. 94-97 were limited to 136 I have read. Check out this link

http://www.cars101.com/subaru_svx.html

Landshark 12-21-2007 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ownbot (Post 517003)
yea but the weight of the AWD warps rotors is how I understand it. And actually the 92 and 93 did not have speed limiters. 94-97 were limited to 136 I have read. Check out this link

http://www.cars101.com/subaru_svx.html

i don't think an extra 200lbs is gonna kill the tranny. better not have any fat people as passengers just in case. :eek:

the prone-to-clogging screen in the trans fluid cooler, and the long, slow, heat-generating shifts will kill it, though.

cruisen_15 12-21-2007 11:47 PM

i guees i say i dont really fit in because:

im only 17 and all you guys here are alot older then me.

when i tell you guys my problems you guys think its all my fault im having these problems, when infact these problems came with the damn car!!! i baught it in august, not like ive had it for a year or two..:(

You guys think i bring discrace to the name svx... man, i like my svx but when everyone is telling me to sell it cuzz its for {quote} "people older than 30" i really do feel like sellin the damn thing... :mad::mad::mad:, you guys always tell me to take it to a mechanic, well i have one time, but what im trying to do is (A) save money, and (B) do the work myself because i want to be a mechanic and work on subaru's!!:mad:

know i hope you guys can understand my sitiuation here...:angst:

TomsSVX 12-22-2007 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cruisen_15 (Post 517022)
i guees i say i dont really fit in because:

im only 17 and all you guys here are alot older then me.

when i tell you guys my problems you guys think its all my fault im having these problems, when infact these problems came with the damn car!!! i baught it in august, not like ive had it for a year or two..:(

You guys think i bring discrace to the name svx... man, i like my svx but when everyone is telling me to sell it cuzz its for {quote} "people older than 30" i really do feel like sellin the damn thing... :mad::mad::mad:, you guys always tell me to take it to a mechanic, well i have one time, but what im trying to do is (A) save money, and (B) do the work myself because i want to be a mechanic and work on subaru's!!:mad:

know i hope you guys can understand my sitiuation here...:angst:

Hey, not all of us are old timers:o Besides that, welcome to the site, I, like Mike, did not know they made a 94ls FWD... THAT IS A RARE SVX!!!

On the topic of the AWD v. FWD... FWD loses the battle in my eyes. Too many positive to outweigh the negatives with owning an AWD SVX versus a FWD. Having owned both I can speak from experience. The FWD's are prone to trans failure, just not so quickly so take care of that trans while you can now. Also keep a keen eye on the front diff oil. The acceleration of the FWD is mostly due to a slight difference in weight and also because of the 3.70 FD ratio as opposed to the 3.545 of the auto... Anyway enough technical babble, hope you like the car and lets see ya at some meets:)

Tom

ensteele 12-22-2007 10:12 AM

I guess I missed all of that negative talk. That is why I didn't know why you felt the way you do. You do have a rare car, and that is why we asked so many questions about it. It is not a car for people over 30, and I think you will find that there are many on this site that are your age, or close to it. The members here love this car and don't like to see it abused or miss-used, and want to keep as many on the road as possible. I understand your lack of money and wanting to do most of the work yourself. For some of the more technical stuff, you may want some help to make sure it is fixed right the first time. It will save you money in the long run. We are here to answer questions and help where we can. Ignore some of the negative comments is they are not deserved. Good luck with your project and I hope you have success in getting your car up to the standard you want. :)