The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Synthetic Motor Oil (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12598)

JLittell 08-13-2003 03:26 PM

Synthetic Motor Oil

thought I would bring this up from the dead...I switched to Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil back in March '03. thereafter have used the same oil at every change:

There have been many discussions as to whether or not a synthetic oil would be a good thing for the SVX. In the matter of speaking I really think synthetic is the way to go. However, I still have some concerns and have noticed a few occurrences during this aggravating 6 month period:

I started getting oil leaks on the front and rear seals after about 1,000 miles. Now the leaks have stopped, I’m getting leaks on the sides of the valve covers. The leaking seems to go in cycles. ?? Has anyone experienced their oil leaking in cycles?? I was told that the leaks and swelling should stop over time. In the meantime it seems to be a concern, and more of an annoyance of where the oil ends up. Some on my spark plugs boots and some on the exhaust pipes (near my oxygen sensors). I'm constantly wiping off oil from other engine locations (not to mention the my garage floor). Anyone else have any insight on synthetic oil. Since March I have put maybe 6000 miles on the car. I was changing the oil every -2000-2500 miles.

ensteele 08-13-2003 03:39 PM

I know others have had leaks when they changed over. Over time has been up to a year for the leaks to stop for some members. :)

PS - You PM box is full again. :rolleyes:

Landshark 08-13-2003 03:47 PM

i've heard many rumors about synthetic oil, but i think what matters is how many miles you have on the engine when you make the switch. apparently high-mileage engine seals will leak as the synthetic cleans away the gunk that keeps them sealed. what is the definition of high-mileage? i dunno. i changed to Mobil1 at around 55k, and have had no leaks. YLMV (Your Leaks May Vary ;) )

i believe that if you do have a 'high-mileage' engine, you can use a seal conditioner before you switch to synthetic to prevent leaks, but i have no idea what a 'seal conditioner' is. i assume you can get a bottle of this at the local auto parts store? :confused:

JLittell 08-13-2003 03:59 PM

I added it w/ 89K. I never heard of a pre-conditioner for synthetic??

Andy 08-13-2003 04:32 PM

OOps, pressed the wrong button (damn beer) I pressed never, should have been no leaks.

svx_commuter 08-14-2003 05:38 AM

Well the syn oil is a little thinner and leak easier. So if the seals are marginal it may leak with the syn. Rear crank seal leak? That is unusual. How many miles on the engine?

I assume you are using Mobil 1 syn? I think it is the most compatable with the rubber gaskets.

Also, driving the piss out your SVX will make it run hotter and cause the seals to leak.