The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Does EvoScan work? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=62291)

steveherman 11-16-2013 06:08 AM

Does EvoScan work?

Has anyone been able to get evoscan to successfully work on the svx?
Thank you
Steve

Wikedjuggalo 11-17-2013 09:59 AM

Re: Does EvoScan work?

Is there a reason you want it to work with evoScan?

b3lha 11-17-2013 01:41 PM

Yes. It works fine on OBD1 SVX. ie. All non-US models. US models from 92-95.

If you are having trouble, look at the troubleshooting section on my website. You may have the 92 problem. Verify this with the hex comm tool.

Phil.
www.alcyone.org.uk/ssm

steveherman 11-17-2013 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo (Post 729813)
Is there a reason you want it to work with evoScan?

I am interested in buying the cable and software for my 94.

steveherman 11-17-2013 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b3lha (Post 729823)
Yes. It works fine on OBD1 SVX. ie. All non-US models. US models from 92-95.

If you are having trouble, look at the troubleshooting section on my website. You may have the 92 problem. Verify this with the hex comm tool.

Phil.
www.alcyone.org.uk/ssm

I have a 94.
Will the evoscan cable work with ecutune?
Will ecutune cable work with evoscan?
Is there better options?

b3lha 11-23-2013 08:23 AM

The cables should be interchangeable.

All the SVX compatible software will work with either cable.

ShaneHobson 11-23-2013 11:39 PM

I have an EvoScan cable and neither myself nor Surtees have been able to get it to work. Daniel's having a crack at it now.

danielparker 11-24-2013 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShaneHobson (Post 729997)
I have an EvoScan cable and neither myself nor Surtees have been able to get it to work. Daniel's having a crack at it now.

Can't get it to go with your cable.. I think your cable is bad.

ShaneHobson 11-25-2013 01:59 AM

I have another cable in my daily driver, which is at Hamish's place. It's embedded in the dash so will pull it out in a few days when my car comes back.

Hamish (Evoscan developer) tested the cable in my car and is certain it works. He may have tested the cable you have prior to shipping it to me, but I don't know.

On a working cable you should be able to measure small voltage changes on the pins. I thinks it's just plain old serial comms.

SURTEESS 11-25-2013 09:56 AM

That is right it is standard serial cable, should have taken you up on the offer of getting the one out of your car - but rather than taking it out - why not just buy another for $5 (rather than risk damaging the one in the car).

longassname 11-26-2013 09:57 AM

It would probably be better if everyone stopped calling "the 92 problem" "the 92 problem" since the "problem" isn't limitted to 92 model year cars. "The 92 problem" is what they call it when a standard ttl5v or serial cable interface won't work on an SVX. To my knowledge nobody has identified what the difference is between the cars where a standard ttl5v cable will work and the cars where they won't nor is anyone trying to.

SVX ECUs and genuine Subaru diagnostic equipment, ie a Subaru Select Monitor, do not use a standard ttl5v interface. They use a line driver and clipping circuit to provide rock solid communications. I provide the exact same line driver and clipping circuit in the "ECUtune OBD1 Control Unit to TTL232r interface." This interface has a 6 pin plug on one side to plug into the standard ftdi usb to ttl5v cable and a 4 terminal block on the other side to connect a select monitor harness to. I sell them with the select monitor plug included and already attached (which I purchase from another member here). This is the correct interface. It works on all SVXs, at all times, perfectly, without messing around trying to adjust a comparator to work around not using the right line driver to begin with. If you aren't using the ECUtune interface you are screwing around with the wrong thing. I bothered to make them so you don't have to do that.
http://www.ecutune.com/ECUtuner.htm

I just had a look at the evoscan website. It looks to me like the evoscan cable is an ftdi usb to ttl5v cable straight to a select monitor plug. So while I'm not suprised this cable isn't working for you the ECUtune interface with an ftdi 232r5v cable should work perfectly with the Evoscan software. Since the evoscan cable doesn't have the 6 pin plug the standard ftdi cable does you'd have to cut it and solder it or something to use that cable or just buy the a standard ftdi cable.

ShaneHobson 11-26-2013 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SURTEESS (Post 730019)
That is right it is standard serial cable, should have taken you up on the offer of getting the one out of your car - but rather than taking it out - why not just buy another for $5 (rather than risk damaging the one in the car).

I paid about $NZ70 for it from Evoscan.
Where can I get it for $5 ?

ShaneHobson 11-26-2013 06:24 PM

Just read the post from longassname.
I think I'll wait for Daniel's cable to arrive, try it out and probably return both Evoscan cables for a refund.

SURTEESS 11-26-2013 09:09 PM

ok Shane - it certainly cost us both a lot of time...

Tapani 12-26-2013 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steveherman (Post 729802)
Has anyone been able to get evoscan to successfully work on the svx?
Thank you
Steve

Yes, just downloaded the software and used the ECUTuner interface.

No issues - and it's a 1992 ;).

Tapani