The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Hesitation/low power problem... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=40298)

kis86 08-15-2007 06:54 PM

Hesitation/low power problem...

I'll start with what I know:

1. My EGR valve is stuck open
2. Both oxygen sensors are bad. A guy at a repair shop told me this when they were troubleshooting another problem...the CEL was not on at this time.

Now...what's happening:

The car feels like it just doesn't want to accelerate unless I step it down and get it into "Power" mode. It's hesitating, and just plain doesn't feel like I have any power at all...

It seems to idle fine, although I've noticed a slightly rough idle once every 3 or 4 starts. It does idle at about 750 rpm...on one of the bigger lines :p

The CEL turned on about a week ago. It started off coming on for a few seconds, then turning off...then on again. Now it's on almost all the time, solid. I'm going to check codes, but I'm thinking it'll just say the oxygen sensors are bad. The problem started before the light came on, and has gotten progressively worse as far as I can tell...although maybe I'm just getting more annoyed *lol*

The air filter was recently changed to a fram airhog. The oil is clean, filter should be fine as well...was changed with the oil. No smells or funny sounds that I can find. The throttle body and maf were cleaned, the maf tested on another svx and works fine. Haven't done anything with the TPS...maybe it could be the problem, or plugs?

I'm tired of feeling like I have to step on it just to keep up with traffic starting from a stop light! Any ideas?

Crazy_pilot 08-15-2007 07:04 PM

Sounds like an extreme version of my problem. My car hesitates when I try to start moving. It starts moving slowly, then seems to get held up from 1200-1700 RPM, then accelerates normally. The best way I can describe it is like there is a dead spot in the gas pedal travel, where moving it has no effect.

I'm attributing this to a bad Throttle Position Sensor. Hopefully a new one will solve the problem and give me a nice, smooth running car.

Manarius 08-15-2007 07:24 PM

Sounds like MAF troubles to me.

kis86 08-15-2007 08:03 PM

Update

Ok, here's an update...I checked the cel codes, and just got the following:

28 Knock Sensor No. 2 (Left Side)

Would this cause my problem, and is it possible it's a fluke? :rolleyes: I know, I know, I just have to check because it wasn't a problem when I checked the codes a couple months ago.

Second thing, the MAF was switched with another car...and it worked fine in that one so I'm thinking probably it isn't the problem. Thanks for the quick responses! :D

And third, I noticed there's a slight whining noise coming from my speakers, as if there's some interference with my engine...the higher the rpms, the higher the whining is through my speakers. Just thought I'd mention it just in case it's a electrical issue :)

ItsPeteReally 08-15-2007 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kis86
I'll start with what I know:
1. My EGR valve is stuck open
2. Both oxygen sensors are bad. A guy at a repair shop told me this when they were troubleshooting another problem...the CEL was not on at this time.

1.Fix/replace the EGR valve, engines don't run well on exhaust gases (hot nitrogen and carbon dioxide).
2. Once the engine starts seeing the right amount of oxygen, the problems that the oxygen sensors appear to be having might suddenly go away;) .