The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   can anyone lend me a big truck? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15456)

alacrity024 01-07-2004 09:31 AM

can anyone lend me a big truck?

hey everyone-

i'm running into a little bit of a problem and i figured i'd toss a call for help out to all of you..

as some of you know, my SVX is without 3rd and 4th gear. Subafreak has agreed to install a used tranny and swap out the final drive to 4.11 for a VERY reasonable price.

however this is all contingent on me getting my vehicle to him, approximately 3 hours away in CT. I've looked into renting a trailer to tow the car, and it's actually priced pretty well. the only problem is that i need a truck to tow the trailer, and my dad's pathfinder isn't going to cut it. i need something along the lines of a ford f-250..

if anyone has a big enough truck and would like to donate it and a day of their time to my cause, i would do anything in my power to make it worthwile.

not sure on the date yet, but it's looking like sometime in february..

-adam

Mr. Pockets 01-07-2004 09:36 AM

What about renting a truck and trailer from U-Haul or Ryder? I was going to rent a truck and flatbed for my SVX and the price was very reasonable. I don't normally trust U-Haul, but for only 3 hours and just something big enough to tow a car, they can't be that bad...

alacrity024 01-07-2004 09:40 AM

u-haul said they didn't have anything big enough to tow a car.. dunno..

-a

SubaSteevo 01-07-2004 11:53 AM

Go to Ryder than, they can tow, how do I know?

I saw one towing an SVX into PA. :D

SHISVX 01-07-2004 12:05 PM

i hate UHAUL!!!

Kelli

(wish i could help, but the pathfinder is bigger then my explorer sport)

alacrity024 01-07-2004 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SHISVX
i(wish i could help, but the pathfinder is bigger then my explorer sport)
what year explorer? i'm driving a POS 1991 mazda navajo, which is basically the same thing as an explorer sport from the same year..

piece of junk...

-adam

benebob 01-07-2004 12:41 PM

Isn't the Pathfinder rated to tow 5000lbs or so??? You should be right in that window. I towed a Triumph TR6 with a 87 Pathfinder. (had like 150hp or something like that). It towed the Triumph just fine for the 200 mile trip. Hell a Ford Ranger can tow like 5500. A SVX will tow 3500:D .

Mr. Pockets 01-07-2004 12:49 PM

My father-in-law and I just towed a Legacy on a trailer for about six hours with a 1st-gen Explorer. Granted, it had a towing package, but it did fine. The trailer was a dolly-type which dragged the rear wheels. I know, I know, I know you're not supposed to drag an AWD Subaru, but I knew the transfer clutch was bad on the car anyway.

When we used the same Explorer to tow my SVX on a flatbed trailer, it was a slightly different story. I was following the truck and it looked pretty unstable going down the road.

Zeppelin 01-07-2004 01:27 PM

I towed my '83 Citation from Grand Junction to Denver a few months ago with a 24' Ryder.. Talk about a drive from hell!!! 20mph up the 2 passes.. :mad:

alacrity024 01-07-2004 01:53 PM

we cruised from GJ to crested butte in a '95 legacy wagon and that was hard enough! the thin air really makes a substantial difference.. the car felt like it had a v8 by the time we finally got back to sea level..

-a

Andy 01-07-2004 01:55 PM

I've just taken 5T of rubble to the tip in my Honda. It did take 3 trips though.

Royal Tiger 01-07-2004 02:19 PM

My 1999.5 Pathfinder is rated to 5000lbs and came with a class III hitch and wire harness.

alacrity024 01-07-2004 02:38 PM

hm.. well i suppose since i'm taking the car to have its transmission replaced and the rear diff will be opened up and rebuilt, i could probably stick the FWD fuse in and tow it on a dolly..the best way to do it would be with the fuse in and the back wheels rolling on the ground, right? and that way a lot of the weight would be put directly onto the ground and the tow vehicle wouldn't be nearly as stressed.

the thing i'm worried about if i tow the vehicle on a flat trailer (all four wheels off the ground) is the weight distribution.. i imagine it would practically pull the front wheels of the tow vehicle off the ground..

more input, please!

-adam

SHISVX 01-07-2004 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by alacrity024

what year explorer? i'm driving a POS 1991 mazda navajo, which is basically the same thing as an explorer sport from the same year..

piece of junk...

-adam

mine is a 2000 and your a piece of junk

Shot king 01-07-2004 04:32 PM

Quote:

When we used the same Explorer to tow my SVX on a flatbed trailer, it was a slightly different story. I was following the truck and it looked pretty unstable going down the road.
O/T I just seen on the local news that the Ryder company is refusin to rent its trailers to Ford Explorer drivers because of the amount of accidents caused by there trailers being towed with em. They just did'nt say wether it was the ford or the drivers fault:confused: