The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Northwest Region (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Going to BC (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16828)

Alycone 03-01-2004 04:36 AM

Going to BC

I think I'm heading up I-5 to BC to pick up car parts this Tuesday, so wave if you see an ebony.

My car will be so happy to get new eyeballs. :D

ensteele 03-01-2004 09:59 AM

Where are you going to get new eyeballs? :D

I will wave as you go through Bellingham! :D

CDG 03-01-2004 10:00 AM

Perhaps I'll see you drive by.
where are you heading exactly?

Alycone 03-01-2004 12:57 PM

I'm buying the parts from Strictly Subaru in Langley then I'm hanging around Vancouver for a few hours (maybe shopping, aquarium and death by chocolate) and grabbing dinner before I head back across the the border.

CDG 03-01-2004 01:28 PM

Sounds like a great Day. Today is sunny and warm. Hope tomorrow is the same.

Alycone 03-03-2004 02:22 AM

Just got back from Canada with a bunch of new stuff for my car. :D

Apparently, telling CAN customs "I'm going to Canada to buy car parts," is a really bad idea. :rolleyes:

ensteele 03-03-2004 07:48 AM

Yes it is.

Earthworm 03-03-2004 07:51 PM

You're "visiting family/friends" :D

seasvx 03-04-2004 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Alycone
Apparently, telling CAN customs "I'm going to Canada to buy car parts," is a really bad idea. :rolleyes:
how so? do tell.

Alycone 03-04-2004 07:12 PM

They spent almost an hour searching my car, when I usually pass through with a nod at my license and maybe a peek in my trunk. They did a criminal background check on me, unpacked my spare (but didn't seem to notice the tray under the passenger seat), checked to see that my lights and turn signals worked.....

They didn't believe it had been a year since I had been in BC when they found Canadian money in my day bag (yes, I did save it and bring it back). They unpacked my entire first aid kit and wanted to know why it included a stethoscope and BP cuff, but they ignored the several bottles of prescription narcotics. They read through everything I had in the car, including maintenance records (so, you've been in an accident recently?) and the restaurant reviews I printed out (I see you like Death by Chocolate?) and commented on the NW SVX flyer. They wanted to know who I was visiting and exactly how well we knew each other and what kind of relationship we had.

The only other person they stopped was an elederly woman who only spoke a few words of english and had an infant but no papers for it.

Getting into the US was fine, they tapped the side of my car and glanced in my trunk.

An interesting experience I suppose. :rolleyes:

Earthworm 03-04-2004 07:31 PM

It's usually easier to get into the US from CA except for last year's trip to Reading where they decided to search my entire car coming in to the US. They didn't find my seat tray or look in the spare tire area and they didn't question the laptop, DV camcorder or digital camera I had.