The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Helloooo... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57418)

Mr. Pockets 05-27-2011 08:12 AM

Helloooo...

Okay, I'm not sure when I posted last. It was probably a few months ago, when I mentioned selling my '93. I just wanted to say a quick 'hello' and fill you guys in.

I have wavered back and forth between 'I'm selling it first chance I get' and 'I can't possibly sell this car.' I've done this for years, and it really started when I stopped driving it.

I'm collecting the parts I need to make the car truly roadworthy again. When I parked it, the water pump was leaking and the tires were bad. I have the water pump. Actually, I bought the pump in 2007. I even lost the pump for a couple years. I found it again last year. Hooray.

While I'm in there anyway, I'm gong to replace the timing belt again (I last replaced it about 15k miles, but ten years, ago). I'm also going to do the cam seals, valve cover gaskets, front main seal, oil pan gasket, and whatever else I can find that's leaking.

I started the car for the first time since my son was born (he's 15 months old now) last Sunday. It cranked for a few seconds, but started right up and settled into a happy idle. Good car. :)

The interior is slightly moldy, so I've had the windows open and several open boxes of baking soda in the car to get rid of the smell.

Honestly, I'm genuinely excited to drive it again. I hope to within a month or so, but work is definitely conspiring against that goal.

Anyway, hi. I still have an SVX. I still love it. I have no idea whether I'll keep it, but at this point it's worth more to me than the couple grand I might get for it. I've had the car for almost twelve years at this point.

Nick

Earthworm 05-27-2011 10:46 AM

Re: Helloooo...

Don't sell it. You know you'll regret it.

Mr. Pockets 05-27-2011 12:34 PM

That's the direction I'm leaning right now. My current plans for autocrossing will require me to sell either the SVX or the RX8. The RX8 is a bigger pain in the ass, honestly. :)

LarryIII 05-27-2011 12:42 PM

Hi Nick,

It's good to hear from you again.

Mr. Pockets 05-27-2011 03:06 PM

Larry! How are you, man?!

thumper_svx 05-28-2011 08:11 AM

Welcome back, Nick :)

Now that I'm back in an SVX we really should try to meet up sometime after you get her running again. I must admit, getting back into an SVX a few months back felt "right" in ways I cannot describe.

No, the car doesn't handle like my BMW 545i... nor does it accelerate like it. But for a complete driving experience it's really hard to put your finger on exactly why the SVX just works so damned well. The steering is numb, it tends to plow in tight corners... but get that car out on a decent fast road and it just feels like you could go all day. Hell I drove mine back from Denver and there was nary a whimper from my usually rather fussy back :)

Once I get the 545i out of my garage (sold it... but the buyer isn't picking it up until sometime next week) I need to get mine up on jack stands. The front brakes are dragging a bit... hopefully the calipers aren't in need of a rebuild because the only other transport I have left is my motorbike... and it's been a little soggy to ride that lately :)

SVX92-97 05-28-2011 10:45 AM

Keep it, once svx is in your blood, it lasts forever:lol: Great looking kid you got there. My son is 2 yrs 4 months and the joy of my life:)

thumper_svx 05-28-2011 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVX92-97 (Post 677898)
Keep it, once svx is in your blood, it lasts forever:lol: Great looking kid you got there. My son is 2 yrs 4 months and the joy of my life:)

My son will be 11 next week and is a holy terror. Enjoy it while it lasts :rolleyes:

Bobb 05-28-2011 08:30 PM

Hi Nick, Glad to see you are still up and at them. Your child looks like a keeper. Along with the SVX. Maybe you should have named him"SVX" Thanks for checking in with the faithful. Take care, BOBB

Mr. Pockets 05-29-2011 01:17 PM

Hey, guys, how are you?

Once I actually get the old girl out of the garage (I'm pretty sure it hasn't been moved since '09), I'll start taking pictures.

As for Simon, you can see plenty more pictures of him here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41177151@N04/

He only just saw my SVX yesterday. It's been covered since he was born. One of Simon's favorite things to do is play in my RX8. He loves the steering wheel and all the buttons. I'm not sure I'll let him do that in the SVX, but I do look forward to giving him his first ride in the car. :)

Mr. Pockets 05-29-2011 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thumper_svx (Post 677883)
No, the car doesn't handle like my BMW 545i... nor does it accelerate like it. But for a complete driving experience it's really hard to put your finger on exactly why the SVX just works so damned well. The steering is numb, it tends to plow in tight corners... but get that car out on a decent fast road and it just feels like you could go all day. Hell I drove mine back from Denver and there was nary a whimper from my usually rather fussy back :)

I don't know that my SVX will ever make a long trip again. I just don't take that many. I do have many fond memories of driving it across Vermont at speeds that would have landed me in jail, no questions asked, though.

benebob 05-30-2011 07:49 AM

Nick lives!!! Yay!!!

WestCoastSVX 06-02-2011 03:03 PM

I'm a day or two late to this party, but hey Nick, good to see you drop by!

Simon is going to grow up with an appreciation for great cars! :)

huck369 06-02-2011 07:45 PM

Hey Nick...best way to break it back in is to come to the Dragon Meet :)

Good to see you back on here, and getting the SVX back on the road!

Mr. Pockets 06-03-2011 12:55 PM

I doubt I'll ever actually visit 'the Dragon.' Great driving roads are, well, great and all, but the one you speak of is too well-known. My impression is that it's filled to the brim with asshats. If I want to drive a car in a spirited manner, I'll do it on a track.