The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The mysterious 94 LE... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4433)

WestCoastSVX 06-06-2002 02:21 PM

The mysterious 94 LE...

Hey gang, another member and I are having a friendly discussion over the existence of 1994 SVXes that came stock with the automatic seatbelts found on 92 and 93 models.

Most of us have seen 94's with manual seatbelts. But if I remember correctly at least one member was discussing something about a 94 model with auto belts and maybe only one airbag as well on here a while back. I forgot the thread, etc.

I did a little research at subaruparts.com and looked at the 94 parts diagrams. They actually have 2 separate diagrams for seatbelts for 94's. One shows the manual belt system, and the other shows the old autobelt system.:confused: On the diagrams it states the manual belts fit L, LS, and LSI, while the auto belts fit LE. Beyond that, when one looks at the diagram for the top piece of the dashboard, again, there are two separate model numbers, one for L, LS, and LSI, and another for LE. This is the piece that would be different depending whether or not there is a passenger airbag, so it lends itself to the theory that the LE had none. Of course, subaruparts could be wrong.

So does anyone have a factory brochure or some literature to back the claim that Subaru actually put out FOUR different models in '94, one of them more like a 92/93? Or better yet, are there any members out there with one of these mythical '94 LE's with the autobelts?
:confused:

Inquiring minds want to know...

Boone 06-06-2002 03:04 PM

Re: The mysterious 94 LE...

Quote:

Originally posted by MacGyver
Hey gang, another member and I are having a friendly discussion over the existence of 1994 SVXes that came stock with the automatic seatbelts found on 92 and 93 models.
OK, MacGyver check out this link. It's from Seattle. :D B.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru_svx.ht...4%20SVX%20Info

huck369 06-06-2002 03:30 PM

Re: Re: The mysterious 94 LE...

Quote:

Originally posted by Boone

OK, MacGyver check out this link. It's from Seattle. :D B.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru_svx.ht...4%20SVX%20Info

According to thier info the 94 SVX-L only had a driver side airbag and automatic seatbelt.......But......MY 94 SVX-L has dual airbags and manual seatbelts........ go figure :rolleyes:

Boone 06-06-2002 03:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hmm... that's odd Huck. Check yer VIN and options? No ABS? B.

WestCoastSVX 06-06-2002 03:52 PM

Re: Re: Re: The mysterious 94 LE...

Quote:

Originally posted by huck369

According to thier info the 94 SVX-L only had a driver side airbag and automatic seatbelt.......But......MY 94 SVX-L has dual airbags and manual seatbelts........ go figure :rolleyes:

Yep I just checked out the site too. It is further supporting proof that there may have been 94's with the old safety configuration, but it still does not mention the LE. And if Huck is correct, which I'm sure he is, then it may indeed be that the LE is the culprit, which the site doesn't list. The mystery continues... (wow this is getting good!:D )

huck369 06-06-2002 04:00 PM

Quote:

Hmm... that's odd Huck. Check yer VIN and options? No ABS? B.
My VIN is JF1 CX3357 RK103439

Which means:
(R)-makes it a 94 but the (5) isn't even on your list:confused: neither is the check digit of (7):eek:
Maybe it's the secret Police interceptor model;) :rolleyes: :) :D

Anybody want to field this one?

Aredubjay 06-06-2002 04:02 PM

Re: Re: Re: The mysterious 94 LE...

Quote:

Yeah, Huck, yours and Leo's were the two 94 L's that I was using for my info. I've driven both and neither had autobelts, both had driver and pass's airbags. Of course, until I sent Joe Spitz an e-mail, he had the 92 listed with a 50/50 split rear seat. :rolleyes:

Lwin, how 'bout your 94 L, did it have autobelts?

Aredubjay 06-06-2002 04:04 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: The mysterious 94 LE...

Quote:

Originally posted by MacGyver

Yep I just checked out the site too. It is further supporting proof that there may have been 94's with the old safety configuration, but it still does not mention the LE. And if Huck is correct, which I'm sure he is, then it may indeed be that the LE is the culprit, which the site doesn't list. The mystery continues... (wow this is getting good!:D )

The LE, I believe is a european spec model. Check James Dunne's (jamsvx) website for brochures.

WestCoastSVX 06-06-2002 04:15 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The mysterious 94 LE...

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay

The LE, I believe is a european spec model. Check James Dunne's (jamsvx) website for brochures.

That's what I was thinking too. But I was wondering why subaruparts would have a diagram showing those parts available and specifically listing the LE, they don't offer any other "foreign" spec stuff.

On Joe Spitz's site way at the top of the options, etc page for the 94, he does mention in a sentence before the charts that in EARLY 1994 models there was only a single airbag. I wonder if production number is more of an issue than model designation? But like Randy said, Joe's site isn't necessarily written in stone either. Who knows?

The truth is out there...

Boone 06-06-2002 04:23 PM

Hmm... What about Canadian spec? They wouldn't have to put up with autobelts, would they? B.

Earthworm 06-06-2002 06:50 PM

Quote:

Hmm... What about Canadian spec? They wouldn't have to put up with autobelts, would they? B.
I can't say I've ever seen a 94 SVX here in Winnipeg so I can't really contribute to the thread. So far I've seen a 92, 97 and maybe a 93 model year SVX...all LS-L/LSi models.

Beav 06-06-2002 08:10 PM

Quote:

My VIN is JF1 CX3357 RK103439

Which means:
(R)-makes it a 94 but the (5) isn't even on your list:confused: neither is the check digit of (7):eek:
Maybe it's the secret Police interceptor model;) :rolleyes: :) :D

Anybody want to field this one?

If it was the Interceptor model wouldn't it have twin turbos and AWS? :D

vkykam 06-06-2002 10:00 PM

We Canucks were deprived of a few of the NY SVXes, according to a dealer I talked to.

I don't recall seeing a 93 or a 95 advertised used.

On the 94's, If I remember correctly, we didn't get the auto-belts. In the 92's, they were auto-belts.

I think the only difference between a CDN and a US spec'd car is the dashboard, a few of the relays (for daytime running lights and a few other things), and the butt warmer.

VK

Quote:

Originally posted by Earthworm
I can't say I've ever seen a 94 SVX here in Winnipeg so I can't really contribute to the thread. So far I've seen a 92, 97 and maybe a 93 model year SVX...all LS-L/LSi models.

Seraph 06-06-2002 11:00 PM

I had this talk with Eddycat about LE model. ANd he got pretty ticked when I told him that LE exist. I have no idea what the LE is supposed to look like. My insurance company initially thought I had a 94 SVX - LE. Further more, I went to the SUBY dealer and used the star system. On the system, parts for LE does show up and exist. I asked the parts manager and he told me that they don't have LEs in the US but the on the part catalogue (star system) the parts are there. Usually the LE parts are the same as the parts for L... So the LEs will have cloth/leather seats. Leather interior (not seude) and gray plastics.

my two very dull pennies
Lwin

LarryIII 06-07-2002 05:02 AM

Sometimes car companies create special editions (Anniversary Edition, Winning Team Edition, etc.) for special occasions or to spur sales. Sometimes its done by all the dealers in a region. The usual way this is done is to add a mix of options in a special package and make that pkg. only avaiable on a special model then call it some kind of special model with its own badges. Buick is known for this, but all makes have done it.

Maybe Subaru did this to spur flagging sales. After 2 years on the market Subaru knew they had a sales lemon and I'm sure that they tried everything they could to sell the SVX.

Larry III