The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   how difficult is R&R'n cyl. head & crank/rod bearings? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38242)

robinhoodof she 04-03-2007 08:12 PM

how difficult is R&R'n cyl. head & crank/rod bearings?

:( AAHHH my two baby's are down, the 95 had a accident with my son, hit a trailer hitch, cracked the timing cover (amungst other parts) & a piece got inbetween the belt & sprocket & slipped the cam timing, 80to 90psi on the passengerside head while the drivers side is 125-130psi. How difficult is it to R&R? & any idea on parts prices?:confused:
My 92 that we've had for 9 years ran out of OIL (WAS my younger sons driver) Rod & slight main bearing noise. Can I drop the pan & R&R from the underside with out removing the crank completly? Any idea on what a set of bearings cost? :confused: Ironickly just had the trany rebuilt for the 2nd time a few months ago.
Just hate to give up on her..WWHHAAA sniff sniff.:( ...#1 Edmonton SVX fan;)

NikFu S. 04-03-2007 09:25 PM

?_?

Need more info.

You're saying a trailer hitch cracked your timing cover?

Does that mean it went through the front bumper and radiator?

If not just readjust the cams and belt. If so, man, that's gonna hurt your wallet.

Main bearings I think are going to make you lose a few pounds there as well.

Dunno what you can see from the pan. I've never removed mine.

drivemusicnow 04-03-2007 10:08 PM

SVXes have non interference engines. If the timing is just off, (which is my guess because it seems that you're mechanically competent enough to do a compression test) than you don't need to do anything other than fix the timing (I'd probably replace the belt, but other than that...)

As for the one with the oil starvation... A) don't run the motor!!!... B) without measuring the rod and main journals you're not going to know if throwing a new set of bearings in will do anything other than cost you a few hundred and 5 minutes of run time. I'd drop the pan just to see how much bearing material is in there. That'd be my step 1, then I would take a look at the cost of the partial rebuild (depending on how the rods and crank check out) and compare it to how much you could pick up a new motor for.

Myetball 04-04-2007 07:08 PM

How hard depends on your mechanical experience. How much may shock you. Rod and Main bearings are only available from Subaru and will run around $500 for a full set. Add another $270 for rings. After machine work and all the other gaskets and misc. parts, you'll probably be lucky to get away with anything less than $1,500 total.

You can NOT R&R without completely disassembling the entire engine. In order to get the main bearings out, you need to separate the two halves of the block. Without taking the crank out, you can only get the rods out by removing the heads, then the pistons. Take a look at the service manual, it should be in the how to section.