The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   SVX 4EAT to WRX 5MT swap underway! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=29926)

svxcuseme 11-29-2005 10:00 AM

SVX 4EAT to WRX 5MT swap underway!

Thought I'd start a new thread on my 5 speed swap status. I got the 4EAT out last night after about 1.5 hours of sheer hell. I should have removed at least one half axle...hindsight.

Anyway, started reading lots on the most recent swap by rmjjensen. I hope he figures out his drivebility, noise, vibration issues. My take way on all this is that I should spend a good bit of time setting up my trans mount, right? I have both the SVX mount and the entire mount from the 2002 WRX.

For those who have been driving the 5 speed for a while, is the ride good? One of the things I like most about the SVX is the ride...smooth. Never had a real smooth ride from my GL, XT, or legacy. All were/are fun and peppy (legacy excluded) but none are as smooth as the SVX. I'd just like some reassurance that the 5 speed swap is worth all the effort. I hate the 4eat and it's flakey shifting/slipping. My hope is that I don't create more problems going to 5 speed.

Next steps are to get the 5mt mocked up and sitting on the engine so I can measure total drive shaft length needed. Is anyone driving a 5mt within a couple hours driveing distance from Atlanta?

Thanks again for all the help. This site is great.

TomsSVX 11-29-2005 10:25 AM

if u wait a little while My buyer lives in Georgia... he will have my 5mt...

Yes you do lose a little rid equality with the newfound vibrations of the 5mt swap... Then again I have Group N mounts all over the place... My 6mt is not too bad but still has a little vibration. Good luck and feel free to ask any questions... many people on this board have done excellent jobs on their 5mt swaps

Tom

n00b on demand 11-29-2005 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX
Good luck and feel free to ask any questions... many people on this board have done excellent jobs on their 5mt swaps

Tom

Thats true....the auto-SVX is becoming a rare breed now!

Earthworm 11-29-2005 11:16 AM

I still have all the stock mounts installed (for now) and my SVX is as smooth as any other. (not counting the suspension upgrades)

I believe the MT's are harder on the mounts (engine/tranny/diff) though as you can shock the drivetrain more with a clutch than with a torque converter.

svxcuseme 11-29-2005 11:31 AM

Agree! I realize I'll sacrifice a little ride quality moving to MT but just don't want it to be overly vibratory...although my wife might enjoy the ride a little more ar ar ar ! :D

I'll get some picks up once I get the mount fashioned. My digital camera is on the fritz so it might be a while.

EDIT: Forgot to ask. Any of you guys have recommendations on the clutch. I was planning on replacing it and the throw out bearing. I'm going to stick with the WRX flex plate as it is in good shape.

mbtoloczko 11-29-2005 12:00 PM

I've got the STi Group N motor mounts and tranny mount, and my car is still very smooth at normal cruising speeds. I think that in many instances, vibration issues can be traced to a bad driveshaft or improper driveshaft u-joint angles. A poorly aligned driveshaft can vibrate horribly at speeds as low as 60 mph.

For the clutch disk, you'll want to get something with an organic, full-circle clutch disk. If you're not upgrading the pressure plate, then you're probably fine just sticking with a new stock disk.

TomsSVX 11-29-2005 12:25 PM

I am not sure if they are available with the WRX style clutch but my 5mt(push style cable activated) has a spec stage 2 kevlar disc.... It grabs very well...now that I am making more power than stock it will slip when driven extremely hard but other that that... it is a dream to drive daily

Tom

Chiketkd 11-29-2005 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbtoloczko
I've got the STi Group N motor mounts and tranny mount, and my car is still very smooth at normal cruising speeds. I think that in many instances, vibration issues can be traced to a bad driveshaft or improper driveshaft u-joint angles. A poorly aligned driveshaft can vibrate horribly at speeds as low as 60 mph.

For the clutch disk, you'll want to get something with an organic, full-circle clutch disk. If you're not upgrading the pressure plate, then you're probably fine just sticking with a new stock disk.

Mychailo,

What clutch do you recommend for a daily-driven *modded* 5MT SVX w/ a WRX trans that sees occasional drag strip and autox racing?

-Chike

Earthworm 11-29-2005 12:39 PM

Like I've said before I've had no problems with the stock WRX clutch.

TomsSVX 11-29-2005 12:39 PM

he is gonna need something stronger.... :cool:

Tom

mbtoloczko 11-29-2005 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiketkd
Mychailo,

What clutch do you recommend for a daily-driven *modded* 5MT SVX w/ a WRX trans that sees occasional drag strip and autox racing?

-Chike

In no particular order...

Exedy Sport Clutch (~370 ft-lb torque capacity) -- I'm running this clutch.
RPS Turbo with full-circle disk (260 ft-lb capacity)
RPS Turbo Extreme with full-circle disk (400 ft-lb capacity)
ACT Street Clutch (411 ft-lb torque capacity)

Chiketkd 11-29-2005 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX
he is gonna need something stronger.... :cool:

Correct! ;)

I was thinking about twin-plate clutch, but heard driveability was severely reduced as 'clutch chatter' is a major annoyance in around town driving. Talked to my friend who owns a modded '02 WRX and he recommended this ACT clutch kit from fastwrx.com:

http://us.st11.yimg.com/store1.yimg...._1873_64482465

http://www.fastwrx.com/acthigclutki.html

Kinda pricey, but if it's good to 411ft-lbs, that should be 100 ft-lbs more than I'll need! ;)

-Chike

Chiketkd 11-29-2005 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbtoloczko
In no particular order...

Exedy Sport Clutch (~370 ft-lb torque capacity) -- I'm running this clutch.
RPS Turbo with full-circle disk (260 ft-lb capacity)
RPS Turbo Extreme with full-circle disk (400 ft-lb capacity)
ACT Street Clutch (411 ft-lb torque capacity)

Nice selection. ;)

-Chike

Manarius 11-29-2005 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxcuseme
Never had a real smooth ride from my GL, XT, or legacy. All were/are fun and peppy (legacy excluded) but none are as smooth as the SVX.

Hey Hey..easy with the Legacy jokes. Ride around in one with an EJ22T or EJ20G and you'll take that back :p

svxcuseme 12-23-2005 11:23 AM

Questions - Status update - To do.

O.K. Manarius's Legacy excluded. Maybe I can get a ride in your's and eat my words.;)

Questions: I got a 96 Outback Drive shaft. It fits perfect !!!
- I assume the carrier bearing flange needs to be cut from the SVX DS and welded to the Outback DS to bring it higher in the tunnel, correct?
- What part of the Outback DS needs to be cut off to give it more freeplay? Is it the actual shaft tip or the cup. I doon't see how cutting anything off the cup will help as it is bottoming out on the shaft tip as it mounts to the 5mt. Thanks in advance.

Status:-Pedal assembly in. I extended the Brake and clutch brackets rather then the upper flange. This gives the pedals the perfect height and travel.
- Clutch MS in!
- Brake lines bent. Much thanks to Jason Letbetter's brake line bending tool...A must have!
- Transmission in.

To do:- Finish making trans mount cross member. I'm going to use parts of the WRX member along with the SVX rear mounting bracket. Looks like I'll have to fabricate the front cross member.
- Finish shift leakage extension.
- Cut/Shave DS tip or cup?
- Install Shifter and boot.
- Drive this mofo out of the garage !!!!!

Thanks for all the help thus far! :cool:
Marc