The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   How accurate is your speedometer? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55547)

Huskymaniac 09-21-2010 06:14 AM

How accurate is your speedometer?

I checked mine for the first time today with a GPS and was surprised to see it reading about 5% too low. I need to have the speedo read about 73-74 to be going around 70.

So what have other people experienced? And does this inaccuracy exist in the odometer too or is that more accurate?

Hocrest 09-21-2010 06:27 AM

Re: How accurate is your speedometer?

Mine varies with tires. With some "snow's I've been about 5% off. With the current tires I'm right on.

LetItSnow 09-21-2010 06:37 AM

My Pearly read very close to the GPS. I haven't checked the Silver yet.

Manarius 09-21-2010 07:08 AM

I'd say that as I go faster, the speedo becomes more and more inaccurate. At 77 on the speedo, I read about 73-74mph on the gps. That's running on 45/R17's. Same as my mom's 2008 Impala; stock tires/rims and as you go faster, it starts to get more and more inaccurate.

Huskymaniac 09-21-2010 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manarius (Post 658406)
I'd say that as I go faster, the speedo becomes more and more inaccurate. At 77 on the speedo, I read about 73-74mph on the gps. That's running on 45/R17's. Same as my mom's 2008 Impala; stock tires/rims and as you go faster, it starts to get more and more inaccurate.

If the speedo is off, will the odometer be off too?

ZMan 09-21-2010 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huskymaniac (Post 658407)
If the speedo is off, will the odometer be off too?

Of course.

SoCal LS-L 09-21-2010 08:55 AM

Mine is almost a consistent 3mph too high, via the stationary radar signs that show your speed underneath the posted limit sign.

Huskymaniac 09-21-2010 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZMan (Post 658409)
Of course.

Are you sure? I looked this up over lunch today and found this:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-dr...peedometer.htm

Our speedo is analog. It looks like analog speedos work through eddy currents that vary the torque applied to the needle as your speed changes. This torque is balanced against an internal spring. If either the magnetic fields or the spring torsion are off, the indicated speed will be off. The odometer, on the other hand, is a directly geared off the cable and should be very accurate if the tire diameters are correct. But they can be different from one another because they are not both directly gear driven.

ZMan 09-21-2010 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huskymaniac (Post 658414)
Are you sure? I looked this up over lunch today and found this:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-dr...peedometer.htm

Our speedo is analog. It looks like analog speedos work through eddy currents that vary the torque applied to the needle as your speed changes. This torque is balanced against an internal spring. If either the magnetic fields or the spring torsion are off, the indicated speed will be off. The odometer, on the other hand, is a directly geared off the cable and should be very accurate if the tire diameters are correct. But they can be different from one another because they are not both directly gear driven.

Yes, that is right. Because i did not elaborate properly in the first place, i was simply talking about an error in speed due to tire size affecting the odometer similarly. - Sorry! :mad:

NeedForSpeed 09-21-2010 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZMan (Post 658417)
Yes, that is right. Because i did not elaborate properly in the first place, i was simply talking about an error in speed due to tire size affecting the odometer similarly. - Sorry! :mad:

I've experienced the same speedo error reported by others running stock size tires. Increasing tire diameter has always brought my observed speed closer to the road side radar speed.

Tiire size vs. odometer test :D:

Stock diameter 225/50/16 is 24.9"
LS-L Pearl 235/40/18 TOYO VERSADO LX is 25.4" :)

Recently, I made a trip on the TOYOs. I wanted to know the same thing you are asking about, how much more accurate would my odometer be running the larger diameter tires.

Mapquest travel distance was 352.55 miles. Trip odometer was 350.5 miles. So, about 0.6% error, much less than 1%.

Also, the gas mileage appears 'less', as the odometer reads less miles traveled on the same amount of fuel.

Huskymaniac 09-21-2010 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeedForSpeed (Post 658423)
I've experienced the same speedo error reported by others running stock size tires. Increasing tire diameter has always brought my observed speed closer to the road side radar speed.

Tiire size vs. odometer test :D:

Stock diameter 225/50/16 is 24.9"
LS-L Pearl 235/40/18 TOYO VERSADO LX is 25.4" :)

Recently, I made a trip on the TOYOs. I wanted to know the same thing you are asking about, how much more accurate would my odometer be running the larger diameter tires.

Mapquest travel distance was 352.55 miles. Trip odometer was 350.5 miles. So, about 0.6% error, much less than 1%.

Also, the gas mileage appears 'less', as the odometer reads less miles traveled on the same amount of fuel.

Was that trip odometer test with the bigger tires? If so, your 352.55 mile trip should have read 345 miles so it appears as though the odometer is reading 1.6% too high as a starting point. But when you increased your tire diameter by 2.2% you caused your trip meter to now read .6% too low. Of course, that assumes Mapquest was accurate. :rolleyes:

kwren 09-21-2010 12:34 PM

All 3 of our SVX's are between 1 - 2 mph off... consistently slow @ a speedometer reading of 70mph. I just assumed all 92's were.

Keith:cool:

1986nate 09-21-2010 12:45 PM

When you change to a 4.44 geared transmission, it reads about 4-6 mph fast at 70 mph

NeedForSpeed 09-21-2010 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huskymaniac (Post 658428)
Was that trip odometer test with the bigger tires? If so, your 352.55 mile trip should have read 345 miles so it appears as though the odometer is reading 1.6% too high as a starting point. But when you increased your tire diameter by 2.2% you caused your trip meter to now read .6% too low. Of course, that assumes Mapquest was accurate. :rolleyes:

Yes, trip was on larger TOYOs.

I would agree that with stock diameter tires, the speedo and the odometer read too high. With the larger circumference, it seems that the speedo and odometer are more accurate, closer to reality. If Mapquest is accurate, 1/2 of 1% is close enough for me. I believe Mapquest is more accurate than an SVX running OEM 225/50/16 rubber

Also, when the speedo reads 77mph, I don't want to be doing 73. If I'm going 78 and it reads 77, that suits me better.

I've always thought the speedo/odometer calibrations were designed for 215/55/16 rubber, OEM on 97s, but 55 series wasn't sexy enough, so 225/50s were selected at intro. I believe the speedo/odometer would be spot-on with those 25.3" tires.

Huskymaniac 09-21-2010 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeedForSpeed (Post 658432)
Yes, trip was on larger TOYOs.

I would agree that with stock diameter tires, the speedo and the odometer read too high. With the larger circumference, it seems that the speedo and odometer are more accurate, closer to reality. If Mapquest is accurate, 1/2 of 1% is close enough for me. I believe Mapquest is more accurate than an SVX running OEM 225/50/16 rubber

Also, when the speedo reads 77mph, I don't want to be doing 73. If I'm going 78 and it reads 77, that suits me better.

I've always thought the speedo/odometer calibrations were designed for 215/55/16 rubber, OEM on 97s, but 55 series wasn't sexy enough, so 225/50s were selected at intro. I believe the speedo/odometer would be spot-on with those 25.3" tires.

Well, not for me. That would correct for about 1.8% of the error but my speedo is off closer to 5%!

So you don't get tire rub with tires that are more than 13mm larger in diameter and 10mm larger in width? That would be good to know as it would allow me another option for snows. Up until now I have only looked at 205/55/16 and 225/50/16.