The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   New Donation Icons and a New Staff Member!! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38049)

RSVX 03-22-2007 12:32 PM

New Donation Icons and a New Staff Member!!

OK, so as you saw in the other thread, a few of you have noticed the new icons under your names. This is how we will be recognizing the users that donate to the Network, and keep it running.

Keep in mind that this whole system is a work in progress, and there are many more changes in the works for it!!

Before we get too far into the explanation, I would like everyone to thank Nextse7en for his efforts in designing the badges to our specs. He did a WONDERFUL job! He has also secured a spot on our staff as the Network Graphic Artist.

So let's jump into the break down.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...e7en/42461.gif Alcyone Gold Contributor - Member donated $100.00 +

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...e7en/42462.gif Alcyone Silver Contributor - Member donated $75.00 - $99.99

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...e7en/42451.gif Subaru Gold Contributor - Member donated $50.00 - $74.99

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...e7en/42450.gif Subaru Silver Contributor - Member donated $24.00 - $49.99

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...e7en/42449.gif Subaru Bronze Contributor - Member donated $5.00 - $23.99

OK, first question I see being asked is, "Why did we start at $5.00?".
The answer is simple, we actually had a member donate $1.00 to the Network through Pay Pal. Well, Pay Pal's cut was $0.40 and that left the Network with $0.60. We feel that the decision to start at $5.00 becomes obvious at this point.

You will maintain your badge for the entire calendar year in which you donated. And the badge that you wear will be based on the cumulative amount you donate throughout that year. So if you donate $5.00 a month for 6 months, you would fall into the Subaru Bronze badge range until you reach $24.00, at which time your badge would then change to the Subaru Silver badge.

January 1 - 31 will be a grey area. You will maintain the previous years badge until January 31st. If you choose to not donate again you will no longer have your badge after January 31st. If you do decide to donate again, you will receive the proper badge for the range in which you donated. The cumulative nature of the badges does NOT reach across calendar years.

We are instituting this in this manner so that we can help Chris Townsend offset his costs in supporting the network. It has simply gotten too expensive.

There will be other benefits tied to some of these levels, but those are still in the works. Any feedback you have a this point is greatly appreciated!

Manarius 03-22-2007 01:31 PM

Is there any way we could figure out what exactly the network takes up in terms of bandwidth and server space? I'm paying for a server to the tune of $10 a month for 250gb storage and 750gb transfer. I can't imagine that this network goes above that.

Suby Fan 03-22-2007 01:36 PM

so if i dontate another 5 dollars will my icon become gold?

EDIT: never mind... reading the post is a good idea

SVX_MY_BABY 03-22-2007 01:41 PM

Donations & Icons

RSVX, you asked for feedback.

Please keep the network as non commercial as possible. I for one don't like overt expressions of a person's financial support or PBS style promotions to give more to get A., B. or C.

A person who donates 5.00 and contributes unselfishly in posting to the forums can be a much more valued contributor than one who simply donates a larger cash value. Some may not have the financial ability to donate cash.

My 5 cents worth.:D

RSVX 03-22-2007 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVX_MY_BABY
RSVX, you asked for feedback.

Please keep the network as non commercial as possible. I for one don't like overt expressions of a person's financial support or PBS style promotions to give more to get A., B. or C.

A person who donates 5.00 and contributes unselfishly in posting to the forums can be a much more valued contributor than one who simply donates a larger cash value. Some may not have the financial ability to donate cash.

My 5 cents worth.:D

We aren't saying that we like person A because he donated more than person B. Its more of a way to say thanks to that person and letting him or her get their deserved recognition.

One thing that is also in the work is a recognition system for those who have contributed mechanically, or in other ways to the SVXs livelihood.

RSVX 03-22-2007 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manarius
Is there any way we could figure out what exactly the network takes up in terms of bandwidth and server space? I'm paying for a server to the tune of $10 a month for 250gb storage and 750gb transfer. I can't imagine that this network goes above that.

One thing that you have to keep in mind is that there are a LOT of images stored here, basically for free. Browse the the lockers a few times to get my meaning. Its also not just a matter of space/bandwidth. This site has much more than that going on in the background.

Please, keep the comments coming, good or bad. We want to know how the community as a whole feels about all of this.

lhopp77 03-22-2007 01:56 PM

Your Point?

Quote:

And your point is????? This site provides so much service to the SVX owners that I could care less if the space was free and Chris pocketed all the money. Its enough hassle for all staff just to keep things going. Maybe you should join the Legacy site and enjoy free times. :rolleyes:

MY .02!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lee

Ricochet 03-22-2007 02:05 PM

Look around the place, see any "CONGRATULATIONS YOU'RE A WINNER CLICK HERE OMG PLZ CLICK HERE" ads? I'll drop a couple 20's a year to avoid that. For those who don't pay anything that's fine too, it's a donation. Think of the little pictures as a thank-you, not an ego boost. This forum is full of mature people who I'm sure can accept it that way :cool:

ensteele 03-22-2007 02:47 PM

I would agree. It is a way to say thank you and not a way to make people feel that they didn't give enough. We don't have a problem with some members who don't donate anything, but it is a nice way to reward those who do. :) :)

We are trying to upgrade the equipment here so that we can provide better service and as more money comes in, we can buy the software upgrades, or other software. :) :)

Chris 03-22-2007 03:08 PM

Quote:

Not that I doubt you in any way. I find it very hard to believe you can rent a dedicated server for $10 a month. Not to mention any services that might or should go with it like backups and such. I WORK at an ISP/Datacenter and we rent/lease dedicated machines all the time. Nowhere near that price. If you was to price out a decent server, lets say $2500, it would take over 20 years for the host of the machine to even pay for it, let alone cover power, cooling, and bandwidth prices for it. $10 monthly sounds like a shared hosting plan where they put a couple hundred clients on one machine. This is one place where the term "over subscription" comes into play. Then "IF" you put a customer like US on one of these shared hosting plans with a nice 4 gigabyte database that we load as much of into ram as possible and bring the machine to its knees for all the other customer on the server, we would get booted faster than than the ink dries on the contract.

If I am wrong on any of this, I would love to hear from your provider and discuss the services and the server we would be leasing for $10 monthly.

TomsSVX 03-22-2007 03:31 PM

no offense guys, but I feel the amount of a donation should not be reflected to the general public. If you would like to grant access or other benefits to higher donating members then fine but I feel that one's donation can often reflect other things and will(in heated arguments someone may bring this into account:rolleyes: ) Just my opinion

Tom

DarknessofDeath 03-22-2007 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX
no offense guys, but I feel the amount of a donation should not be reflected to the general public. If you would like to grant access or other benefits to higher donating members then fine but I feel that one's donation can often reflect other things and will(in heated arguments someone may bring this into account:rolleyes: ) Just my opinion

Tom

something within those degrees

odepaj 03-22-2007 06:14 PM

Quote:

Tom

I agree with Tom, I like the idea but think it could and will be brought up in arguments and such. I would like to see one symbol for donating members and maybe another symbol for members like Chris, Huck, LAN, and both Tom's, people that have done great things for our community and great things for the SVX.

Dustin

P.s. Didnt mean to leave anybody else out that has done alot for us, I just didnt want to take up an entire page listing names :D Great respect to you all!

P.s.s. Is there another way to send donations? I dont like the fact of paypal taking a cut out of a donation. Even if I have to mail a money order to Chris, Id rather do that. This site and community has helped me to much for me to let some of my donation go to someone else.

It's Just Eric 03-22-2007 06:41 PM

I like the reccognition for donating members.It's also nice to see who's running the network via color coded user names.
I do think, though, that it may be unfair for certian benefits to be available to those who contribute. As mentioned before, some people just can't financially contribute as much as others(Especially if their tranny is borked)

Also keep in mind things could get confusing if you add too many special icons, medals, and honors.Between colored names, badgess, wrenches, added pictures, muliple user titles, lenghtened signatures, a special room a roulette table for the high rollers,backstage passes, a day spa, EZ-Pass, employee wash room, valet parking, personal secratary, Company phone,season box seats for your favotire baseball team, this spiffy 'SVX World Network" burlap grocery sack, special "Within the next 15 minutes" offers,chouffer, and whatever else benefits you could possibly imagine adding to contributing members..things might get a bit more visually distracting than advertisments would have been in the first place. (take that post for example)

Just my way of saying Thank you, but please, keep it simple and fair.I like this site because the people of higher position are just people too. We're all members here, weather or not we are willing and able to contribute financially.

Thanks,
-Eric

Trevor 03-22-2007 07:14 PM

Quote:

Tom

A valid opinion, regarding a touchy subject.

My view is that those who are doing the donkey work have no doubt given the matter much thought and we should abide by their decisions. Above all they deserve our confidence and support.

The only alternative as I see it could be to set a minimum required figure of no less than say $50.00, to gain credit as a supportive member, without any scale applied.

That said, it is unfortunate that often what is most desirable, must be set aside for what is necessary. Someone must assume responsibility for costs and Chris has had his hand up for a very long time. If he is to continue, he must have a concrete foundation on which to continue to provide credit. Put yourself in his, the driving seat.:confused:

The problem as I see it, is that without a positive carrot and exposure, many will continue to take Chris and his efforts for granted. The levels as set are extremely moderate. When aligned with the advantages gained, e.g. as compared with purchasing magazines or whatever, the figures are not beyond any person able to cover the cost of running a car. The figure should be compared with the fees set by any amateur car club, albeit offering much less.

What is more, that available for free has so far been exploited, there is no other word for it, by a few on a commercial basis. If those involved do not show a gold Alcyone, surely they should be avoided. On a business like basis the value derived, when compared with any other firm of advertising, is beyond comparison.

By stating an opinion as above, I am aware that I am open to controversy. The goodwill aspect at stake is enormous and it would be drastic if this were upset. I trust that all will base judgement on the practical aspects involved. Money IS important. :cool: