The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   SVX's have a earth fault. (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44865)

Dessertrunner 05-23-2008 02:42 AM

SVX's have a earth fault.

I think I may have found why the CD player as well as other things are not working properly. It seems that the earth from the battery is connected from the transmission to the body of the car. What I notice on mine was that the wire was broken and when touched it came apart. This was after changing the CD player because it had problems with one that worked. When I did that the replacement behave just as bad.
If this wire is broken then the only way to get the earth to the body is through the mounts and linkage etc.
Tony

SomethingElse 05-23-2008 03:00 AM

I still cant get over that one lonely small ill placed body ground that subaru put on our cars. Did they actually think it would be sufficient?:confused:

At least they have one on the back, connected to the muffler.:rolleyes:

lhopp77 05-23-2008 07:48 AM

Several

Quote:

Originally Posted by SomethingElse (Post 548657)
I still cant get over that one lonely small ill placed body ground that subaru put on our cars. Did they actually think it would be sufficient?:confused:

At least they have one on the back, connected to the muffler.:rolleyes:

I think you might be referring to actual strap grounds. There are really several wiring harness grounds to the body. For example the radio harness is grounded in the vicinity of the shifter.

Lee

crazyhorse 05-23-2008 09:54 AM

Grounding all the components to the body is moot, if the negative battery cable isn't grounded. That, I believe was what Desertrunner was getting at.

An easy fix is to run a heavier cable from the battery, to the engine, then to the body somewhere.

kwren 05-23-2008 01:10 PM

How heavy is heavier?

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyhorse (Post 548690)
Grounding all the components to the body is moot, if the negative battery cable isn't grounded. That, I believe was what Desertrunner was getting at.

An easy fix is to run a heavier cable from the battery, to the engine, then to the body somewhere.

:confused:
:)..................
what gage?

black beast 05-23-2008 01:47 PM

I have ground wires... they are 4 guage. and are mounted to...

The engine block via both sides of the intake man.
The alternator
the tranny (stock one)
the frame (the rad. support, and literally drilled a hole.)

In the pic (I dont know if you will be able to read text...) The bracket has no paint where the wire meets it, and the frame underneath has been sanded bare.

The wire going to the alt. has been replaced with a heavier gauge since the photo was taken.

I dont know if it really does gain HP but cant hurt..

black beast 05-23-2008 01:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
LOL forgot the pic... hehe

crazyhorse 05-23-2008 01:57 PM

The heavier the better actually.

I'd say an "0" guage would be sufficient. Car audio shops carry a super flexible ought guage wire that'd be just about perfect for grounding the negative battery terminal.

To see the shortcomings of a single point ground for the battery, My lowly Pinto has no less than 3 contact points for the negative cable. (Ought guage from the factory) Those points being, the negative post, the chassis, then the engine. All on one continuous wire. The Pinto is nowhere near as sophisitcated as the SVX, and has an electrical load of less than half the SVX system.

kwren 05-23-2008 02:09 PM

Thank for the response...

:)........................

Dessertrunner 05-23-2008 02:15 PM

crazyhorse you got me in one,
There are plenty of gorunds going to the body of the car and around the engine. But the only ground from the battery is from the battery to the starter bolt. The body is only getting its ground supply through the little wire that goes from the top of the gearbox to the front to the firewall. The one on the exhaust is not reliable due to the number gaskets etc going to the engine. I suggest you don't put the ground through the radiator as it can cause it to be eaten away with corrision.
I am going to put a large strap from the battery earth direct to the body of the car to get round the problem.
Tony

kwren 05-23-2008 03:48 PM

In the graphic the radiator....

ground doesn't appear to actually ground the radiator at all.

The electrical connection is grounded to the frame of the car "by" the radiator and has no affect on the radiator.

There is also a ground wire fastened to the frame of the car near the battery at the front just below the bottom of the battery.

Haven't checked where it goes but I will.

The large strap to the frame sounds like a good idea...

:) Keith

crazyhorse 05-23-2008 04:06 PM

Most older 'Murican cars have a large (1/2-1") braided copper ground strap from the engine block to the chassis. This is another VERY good option for the SVX.

Here is a link to a product, reasonably priced @ $13USD

Dessertrunner 05-23-2008 04:08 PM

Now I get you keith sound good. I think we need to all figue out the best way to do this.
Tony

kwren 05-23-2008 04:09 PM

looks like a good one

might even find a spot for 2!:)

YourConfused 05-23-2008 04:36 PM

I added a 4 gage from batt to block and a 0 gage from batt to chassis a while back as I have done this to every vehicle I have owned just out of precaution.