The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Locknut for Idler Pully (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44735)

JIMSVX 05-11-2008 08:33 PM

Locknut for Idler Pully

This weekend we traveled to Indy (500 mile round trip) and when we started to head home I noticed I had no power steering and no charging from the alternator. The idler pulley assy had popped off the tensioner bracket bolt and was hanging on the belt. The locking nut was gone, nowhere to be found.

I headed over to Ace Hardware with the bolt and picked up a $0.45 nut with a nylon locking insert. I didn't want that thing to come off again on the way home, and it didn't. In less than an hour we were on our way home. I'm happy to say that in the year that I have owned the car I did not touch that nut. Whoever changed that belt last was the culprit who didn't tighten that nut.

I want to get the correct replacement part but I can't find the part number on any of the Subaru dealers' websites. I also can't find a picture of the correct nut. This is the best thing I can come up with.

And, this is what I used as a temporary fix to get us home.

Can anyone help me with a picture and/or part number (or even a replacement nut)? :D

Thanks!

Hocrest 05-11-2008 09:06 PM

The stock nut is an Acorn style, you may be able to find one with the proper threads at a decent hardware store. Mine was rounded off when I bought the car, i had to use vice grips to get it off, and I replaced it with a standard nut, It's been fine since.

lhopp77 05-12-2008 08:54 AM

Washer

There is also a special washer under the nut. You probably lost that also unless you have the under engine tray. If you have the tray--both might be in it. The washer is not just a flat washer.

Lee

JIMSVX 05-12-2008 05:41 PM

Thanks Dave & Lee. I haven't had time to drop the tray under the engine. Hopefully the nut and washer got "trapped" down there and that will solve my problem.

svxcess 05-12-2008 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JIMSVX (Post 547030)
Can anyone help me with a picture and/or part number (or even a replacement nut)? :D

Thanks!

Jim,

Here are the part numbers (refer to the diagram below) Located in the Steering System and Cable section, then under Power Steering System Pump and Tank at subaruparts.com HERE

Part#15...Stopper-bearing (the "washer") is 34417PA000 and is about $5.50
Part#16...Flange Nut..023808006 .50

JIMSVX 05-13-2008 06:44 PM

Thanks svxecss - I dropped the pan and found something. It looks like the $5 part, not the $0.50 part. That's a good thing.

Is this what the washer looks like? It looks a little large to me.

http://inlinethumb19.webshots.com/24...500x500Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb37.webshots.com/76...500x500Q85.jpg

Thanks!

kwren 05-13-2008 07:10 PM

That's it alright

be sure and put it on correct!!!!!!

kwren 05-13-2008 07:14 PM

small side in

any good automotive type nut will be fine (if it is the right size, that is):lol:
:)

put the nut on by hand and Tighten the nut AFTER you adjust the belts

(just a suggestion):lol:

Keith

kwren 05-13-2008 11:06 PM

The big part of the washer...

probably is made to protect the bearing part of the pully. Putting the small part inside allows the bearing to turn which it would not be able to do if installed the oopsite way!

JIMSVX 05-13-2008 11:11 PM

So Keith, I assume that the small part rests against the inside of the bearing and the inner sleeve which the bolt extends through. Which means that the big side is where the nut is tightened up against. (I hope I'm describing it correctly.)

kwren 05-13-2008 11:21 PM

correct!

Quote:

Originally Posted by JIMSVX (Post 547408)
So Keith, I assume that the small part rests against the inside of the bearing and the inner sleeve which the bolt extends through. Which means that the big side is where the nut is tightened up against. (I hope I'm describing it correctly.)

:)....................

TN_fwdsvx 05-14-2008 07:37 AM

Anybody know if that bearing is replaceable, and if so; what is part number and source for it?

Thanks.

lhopp77 05-14-2008 10:01 AM

Not

Quote:

Originally Posted by TN_fwdsvx (Post 547436)
Anybody know if that bearing is replaceable, and if so; what is part number and source for it?

Thanks.

Bearing is NOT replaceable unless you are capable of removing rivets and then reinstalling them. The bearing housing is riveted in place keeping your from simply pressing out the bearing and replacing.

Yep---FLAT part of washer installed to the OUTSIDE.

Lee

kwren 05-14-2008 10:07 AM

Just in case...

you aren't already aware,
The long belt tension adjusting bolt...is left hand threads so turn it clockwise to tighten the belt tension.
12 mm socket
Keith

JIMSVX 05-14-2008 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwren (Post 547453)
you aren't already aware,
The long belt tension adjusting bolt...is left hand threads so turn it clockwise to tighten the belt tension.
12 mm socket
Keith

Yes, I found that out Sunday when the whole thing fell off. :rolleyes: