The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Radio questions (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1951)

CGLathrop 11-10-2001 08:21 AM

Radio questions

Well.. My stock radio is acting funny. Getting static on the speakers sometimes. The only way I can make it go away is to shut the radio off, then turn it back on. Sometimes I have to do this a couple of times. Has anyone else ever had this happen?

Next question... If I do install aftermarket radio/cd system, what does everyone suggest. Keep in mind I am on a military budget and have 3 kids to keep clothed (which is important way up here in Minot!)

Last question... how hard is it to remove the radio/cd system and install an aftermarket? I think someone had posted a "how to" but I dont remember if it was here or on yahoo.

Guess thats all. I appreciate any info that people are willing to give. Thanks!

Chris

uconnscott 11-10-2001 01:07 PM

MP3 is a good choice

Personally I could not stand the stock crap for more than a month. I purchaced a Kenwood MP3 Player (think there are only a few on the market now, cost about $350) Also I but in Boston Acustic 6 x 9s in the back and JBs components in the doors. Total was a little over a grand, but I swear it was well worth it!! Good luck.

Seraph 11-10-2001 01:10 PM

Re: Radio questions

Quote:

Originally posted by CGLathrop
Well.. My stock radio is acting funny. Getting static on the speakers sometimes. The only way I can make it go away is to shut the radio off, then turn it back on. Sometimes I have to do this a couple of times. Has anyone else ever had this happen?

Next question... If I do install aftermarket radio/cd system, what does everyone suggest. Keep in mind I am on a military budget and have 3 kids to keep clothed (which is important way up here in Minot!)

Last question... how hard is it to remove the radio/cd system and install an aftermarket? I think someone had posted a "how to" but I dont remember if it was here or on yahoo.

Chris

I have a stock in my room sitting from 94-L. Let me know if you want it.

It's really easy to put in the a/m radio. I can post again. damn -- where is my camara?

Lwin

Aredubjay 11-10-2001 11:43 PM

Quote:

Chris

Chris,
First of all, are you sure both your antennas are plugged in? Pull back the carpet on the tranny tunnel, just to the right of your right knee. The antenna hookups are right there. Check them for "snugness" and also for oxidation.

Lwin -- Just to let you know, the envelope I sent you was sent back to me . . . AGAIN. Man, I've never had such a hard time getting rid of an envelope with THOSE contents in my life!!! :D

Aredubjay 11-10-2001 11:44 PM

Quote:

Well.. My stock radio is acting funny. Chris
See if you can get it a booking in Vegas. You could make a mint! >rimshot!< :D

vkykam 11-11-2001 01:09 AM

Re: MP3 is a good choice

I don't know how many MP3 head unit are out there, but a local shop has a Panasonic MP3 head unit for $329CDN installed.

Awful tempting...

VK

Quote:

Originally posted by uconnscott
Personally I could not stand the stock crap for more than a month. I purchaced a Kenwood MP3 Player (think there are only a few on the market now, cost about $350) Also I but in Boston Acustic 6 x 9s in the back and JBs components in the doors. Total was a little over a grand, but I swear it was well worth it!! Good luck.

Seraph 11-11-2001 01:28 AM

Re: Re: Radio questions

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay

Chris,
First of all, are you sure both your antennas are plugged in? Pull back the carpet on the tranny tunnel, just to the right of your right knee. The antenna hookups are right there. Check them for "snugness" and also for oxidation.

Lwin -- Just to let you know, the envelope I sent you was sent back to me . . . AGAIN. Man, I've never had such a hard time getting rid of an envelope with THOSE contents in my life!!! :D

Randy, just hold on to the contents I guess. I will get them from you later.

Lwin

uconnscott 11-11-2001 01:01 PM

Wow.......329 CDN..........will have to by my next stereo in Canada!!:D

nvrmore100 11-11-2001 05:49 PM

Re: Re: MP3 is a good choice

Quote:

Originally posted by vkykam
I don't know how many MP3 head unit are out there, but a local shop has a Panasonic MP3 head unit for $329CDN installed.

Awful tempting...

VK

I've heard bad things about the panasonic mp3 players though. I bought my Kenwood because along with Sony they are the only ones that people have been satisfied with.

cocacola08 11-12-2001 08:52 AM

A question for everyone else who has installed aftermarket stereos.

Did anyone else run into problems w/the "factory amp"? I remember that when I had mine put it i had to go to like 5 different shops to try to find someone to install it, because of that.

Aredubjay 11-12-2001 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by cocacola08
A question for everyone else who has installed aftermarket stereos.

Did anyone else run into problems w/the "factory amp"? I remember that when I had mine put it i had to go to like 5 different shops to try to find someone to install it, because of that.

Why would the "factory amp" be a problem? It's attached to the OEM head unit. If you remove the head unit, you remove the amp.

Mr.Pwrlite 11-12-2001 07:22 PM

Replacing factory radio....

The factory radio is pretty easy to replace. You can use a multimeter to find the correct wires if you don't have a wire harness adapter for your new radio. Any standard sized aftermarket radio can fit in the space with no problem. The SVX have been one of my easiest stereo projects. The hardest part for me was installing multiple units in the factory compartment, there is very little room behind the radio for bulk wiring, ex; din plugs, RCA cables, Control wires, Antenna wire, etc..