The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   What if not an SVX? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49825)

crazyhorse 04-11-2009 04:13 PM

What if not an SVX?

That is the question. What would you drive, if not an SVX? Say Subaru stopped coupe prodution with the XT. That would mean there never was an SVX. A sad thought, yes, but what if.....

Personally I looked at several different makes, and models before deciding to buy an SVX. Though honestly I had my heart set on one from the outset.

I looked at a Caddy ElDorado ETC. Nice car,tons of power, but no real personality. Also it plowed like a pig in the corners! Stupid Hi-Po FWD!

Then there was the Lincoln MarkVII LSC WHOA! 5.0 RWD rocketship! It just didn't impress with quality construction. Tire smoking sideways cornering, while fun, is slower :lol:
Same story with the Mark VIII. As a Ford guy this dissapointed me.

Then came the car that ALMOST persuaded me, The Lexus SC300 (Gen1) Loads of scoot, plenty of handling, and fair aftermarket support. Again though, the car just had no soul. It was a precision machine going about it's business.

As for the SVX, we all know this car is a solid piece. The engines are bulletproof. The trannies.... MEH. They can take a SERIOUS smack and still be driveable. It's an almost unimaginable hit that would be fatal in an SVX. Only the Lexus gave me the bank vault security of the SVX

So to sum it up, If there was never an SVX, I'd probably be driving a Lexus SC

michael 04-11-2009 04:28 PM

Re: What if not an SVX?

Are we talking present day? Same price range? Features?

crazyhorse 04-11-2009 05:35 PM

Yeah, pretty much. All the cars I listed were within $1000 of each other when condition was factored in.

oregondave 04-11-2009 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyhorse (Post 596571)
That is the question. What would you drive, if not an SVX? Say Subaru stopped coupe prodution with the XT. That would mean there never was an SVX. A sad thought, yes, but what if.....

Personally I looked at several different makes, and models before deciding to buy an SVX. Though honestly I had my heart set on one from the outset.

I looked at a Caddy ElDorado ETC. Nice car,tons of power, but no real personality. Also it plowed like a pig in the corners! Stupid Hi-Po FWD!

Then there was the Lincoln MarkVII LSC WHOA! 5.0 RWD rocketship! It just didn't impress with quality construction. Tire smoking sideways cornering, while fun, is slower :lol:
Same story with the Mark VIII. As a Ford guy this dissapointed me.

Then came the car that ALMOST persuaded me, The Lexus SC300 (Gen1) Loads of scoot, plenty of handling, and fair aftermarket support. Again though, the car just had no soul. It was a precision machine going about it's business.

As for the SVX, we all know this car is a solid piece. The engines are bulletproof. The trannies.... MEH. They can take a SERIOUS smack and still be driveable. It's an almost unimaginable hit that would be fatal in an SVX. Only the Lexus gave me the bank vault security of the SVX

So to sum it up, If there was never an SVX, I'd probably be driving a Lexus SC

A Lincoln? :barf:

I think it's safe to say that most SVX owners have at least a passing interest in AWD. For me the answer is easy, because it's the car i'd be driving if I hadn't wrecked it: a first edition Audi S car. I think I'd rather have a TT now though.

Mensaf 04-11-2009 06:51 PM

I'd probably be in a 300zx.

michael 04-11-2009 07:05 PM

m3, 8 series, supra or 928 tho I do like your two latter choices.

Sean486 04-11-2009 07:09 PM

My SVX is not a daily driver so with that in mind here are my SVX replacements both are cars I have priced and researched, but came back to SVX instead:

1989-1996 Nissan 300zx I loved those cars from the 1st time that I set eyes on one. (Just like the SVX) And I still give them a long admiring stare whenever I see one on the road.

or a

1976-1981 Trans Am, what can I say I was 8 years old when Smokey and the Bandit came out. I always wanted one, still do.

Manarius 04-11-2009 08:38 PM

I paid 2000 for my car, so 3000 would be my max. That would probably put me in a nice 5MT 1994 Legacy Turbo.

JaySVX 04-11-2009 08:57 PM

My SVX isn't a daily driver either, so I'd probably concentrate on one of the other cars on my "cars to own" list. That would be a 4+3 C4 corvette, 5.7 litre IROC Camero, MG Convertible, or one of several others. I've been pretty picky about these, but I really hope one doesn't come up soon, as I just had to make some unexpected expenses which has eaten up my savings.

subi-crosser 04-11-2009 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean486 (Post 596585)
My SVX is not a daily driver so with that in mind here are my SVX replacements both are cars I have priced and researched, but came back to SVX instead:

1989-1996 Nissan 300zx I loved those cars from the 1st time that I set eyes on one. (Just like the SVX) And I still give them a long admiring stare whenever I see one on the road.

or a

1976-1981 Trans Am, what can I say I was 8 years old when Smokey and the Bandit came out. I always wanted one, still do.

I know where a red 78 lurks! Firebird w a 383 Chevy 'stroker' in it.

(Just in case the Fire-bug' bites) Real car, right now.

LetItSnow 04-11-2009 10:27 PM

After six years in the Legacy, I got the itch for something different, which put me in the SVX after spotting it on NASIOC. I was looking at a few other Subarus at the time: Brat, XT, Baja turbo.

This reminds me of <this thread>. :)

SVXRide 04-11-2009 11:21 PM

Audi S4 with plenty of goodies (friend out in Colorado owns one with a big brake kit, chipped ECU, etc., etc. - damn, can it get from 0-100-0 quickly!)
-Bill

Brandon770 04-12-2009 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subi-crosser (Post 596598)
I know where a red 78 lurks! Firebird w a 383 Chevy 'stroker' in it.

(Just in case the Fire-bug' bites) Real car, right now.

I have a 1989 Trans am GTA, 5.7L, TPI, WS6, T-tops, Leather that I would drive instead lol :)

I would go Supra, or MK-II Mr2... well the MK-1.5 swap is sick too. Owned three MK-I's already :)

I don't know.. I JUST LOVE CARS LOL

Mr. Pockets 04-14-2009 07:33 AM

Well, I don't actually drive my SVX, so that's a pretty easy question to answer. :p

Would I still be into trucks if I hadn't traded mine for the SVX? I dunno. I think I'd be autocrossing anyway, probably, so I'd likely still have done that with the same cars.

bheinen74 04-14-2009 07:37 AM

my signature of cars says it mostly