The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Deck carpet (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7373)

SubaSteevo 12-04-2002 07:30 PM

Deck carpet

I'm planning on changing my rear speakers so I figured I'd fix the carpet that is starting to come up. I was just gonna glue it back down but then I got to thinking (I think too much). Does the carpeting actually serve any purpose besides looks? I was thinking about removing the carpeting altogether and possibly staining the pressboard (or whatever it is) to match the "wood" trim or just painting it. Has anyone done anything similar to this? I think it would look nice to have the back deck match the dashboard.:cool:

Green1995SVX 12-04-2002 07:35 PM

That carpet doesnt do anything, but i dont think you would be able to get the stuff back there to match the dash.

Mike

Landshark 12-04-2002 07:42 PM

i bought a big-ass roll of automotive interior carpet at Pep Boys that is a near perfect match for like $10-15. beige, that is. don't know about grey....

alacrity024 12-04-2002 07:47 PM

I saw somewhere that you could buy a roll of what was basically carbon fiber "look" contact paper.. personally I think carbon fiber is a nice touch.. I like the monochromatic thing.. but you could prolly score a nice looking woodgrain contact paper.. or tape or whatever

-adam

sfsvx 12-04-2002 08:11 PM

The carpeting will tend to absorb and attenuate sound - removing it may have some interesting acoustic effects.

CigarJohnny 12-04-2002 09:25 PM

I'd have to agree with Dick. As thin as it is the carpeting probably deadens a lot of the noises from the trunk area, you know...road noise, bumps, tire noise, water spray in the rear wheel wells, thumping from large objects rolling around, kicks and screams...

:D:D:D

rufus 12-05-2002 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by CigarJohnny
I'd have to agree with Dick. As thin as it is the carpeting probably deadens a lot of the noises from the trunk area, you know...road noise, bumps, tire noise, water spray in the rear wheel wells, thumping from large objects rolling around, kicks and screams...

:D:D:D

Don't forget growling wheel bearings :eek:

SubaSteevo 12-05-2002 07:14 AM

I thought so...

I thought there must be some reason why they use carpetting, the noise reduction factor makes sense (because vinyl/plastic all the way around definately would look better). I was also thinking that maybe the carpetting serves some sort purpose when it comes to the sun shining on it, vinyl would get VERY hot. I think I'll just glue it.

Green1995SVX 12-05-2002 10:11 AM

I would like to know how you fit someone in the trunk. I remember trying this when I was in high school... We just couldnt get anyone in that trunk!

Mike

SubaSteevo 12-05-2002 02:42 PM

Funny story...

Quote:

Originally posted by Green1995SVX
I would like to know how you fit someone in the trunk. I remember trying this when I was in high school... We just couldnt get anyone in that trunk!

Mike

My friends and I started this thing we called "Trunking". Every week we would grab somebody and shove them into the trunk (of my friend's Nissan Sentra). Its quite funny to see the fight some people put up when you try to stuff them in a trunk. One of my friends cut his wrist open really bad while getting stuffed so we stopped doing it. Once I climbed into the trunk voluntarily, then my friend realised that he lost the keys...so I spent like 15 mins in the trunk (along with about 5 backpacks). Nobody's ever gotten stuffed in the SVX (I wouldn't let them) but I was pretty much in the trunk today to do my rear speaker swap.

P.S. No, none of us are midgets and/or anorexic. We are all normal to large sized 17 year olds.