The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   disturbing rattle (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5521)

249SVX 08-21-2002 10:53 PM

disturbing rattle

Ok, here's what I got. When I hit the wheel it rattles like it is loose. Is that an indication that the berring is bad? The left rear on the SVX does it and BOTH rear wheels do it on the MR2. Also, they both make a clunk clunk clunk sound(the MR2 is worse than the SVX). Should I use my bike for work for the next week or so while I repair or have them repaired?:)

thanks for any info you can give me

matt

svx_commuter 08-22-2002 06:32 AM

Hi Matt,

What has the higher power to weight ratio? MR2 or SVX.

The rattle, are you sure it's not the brake pads and springs? When you drive over a bump do you here similar sounds?

John

mattski 08-22-2002 06:47 AM

Have you checked to see that the wheel lug nuts are tight? Mine have been loose many times after rotating tires. Since it is on both cars, it almost suggests a "process" issue. Like your process of tightening bolts is failing. Don't overdo it though as you can warp rotors.

249SVX 08-22-2002 07:34 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by svx_commuter
[B]Hi Matt,

> Not sure.

The rattle, are you sure it's not the brake pads and springs? When you drive over a bump do you here similar sounds?

>I don't hear anything when I drive over a bump.

249SVX 08-22-2002 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by mattski
Have you checked to see that the wheel lug nuts are tight? Mine have been loose many times after rotating tires. Since it is on both cars, it almost suggests a "process" issue. Like your process of tightening bolts is failing. Don't overdo it though as you can warp rotors.
Yes, everything is tight.

mattski 08-22-2002 07:39 AM

If the rattle disappears when you are depressing the brake pedal, such as going over a speed bump, then it is likely to be the brake pads rattling in the calipers. With the brake pedal depressed, the pads are pressed against the rotors, hence no rattle. There are shims that are usually installed on the back of the pads, between the pads and caliper. These should be replaced when new pads are installed.

249SVX 08-22-2002 11:04 AM

Quote:

If the rattle disappears when you are depressing the brake pedal, such as going over a speed bump, then it is likely to be the brake pads rattling in the calipers. With the brake pedal depressed, the pads are pressed against the rotors, hence no rattle. There are shims that are usually installed on the back of the pads, between the pads and caliper. These should be replaced when new pads are installed.
The rattle is there when I hit the tire. When I go over a bump I can't tell. When I dpress the brakes it is still there as a clunking noise.

mattski 08-22-2002 11:35 AM

Can you crawl under the car, using all safety precautions!, and have someone else hit the tire to elicit the clunk? Let your ears do the work to narrow down the endless possibilities.

Earthworm 08-22-2002 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by svx_commuter
Depending on if the MR2 in question has at least 150HP then it would have a better power/weight ratio.

Ca$h 08-22-2002 03:11 PM

Im not familiar with either car, but if either has 'strut mounts' a rubber dish looking thing with a metal sleeve (for the strut nut), it could be those. I had to replace both on my neon, and it sounded awful. :\

- Ca$h

249SVX 08-22-2002 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Earthworm
Depending on if the MR2 in question has at least 150HP then it would have a better power/weight ratio.
Well, I'm looking at getting closer to the SVX area of power.:D That should be PLENTY of power, for a little while, that is.:)

249SVX 08-22-2002 11:21 PM

Quote:

Can you crawl under the car, using all safety precautions!, and have someone else hit the tire to elicit the clunk? Let your ears do the work to narrow down the endless possibilities.
I was thining it over tonight at work(instead of concentrating on working) and was thining that maybe the bushings on both cars need to be replaced, or as Ca$h had said, maybe the rubber thingies at the top are bad. It's just odd that both cars would exhibit the same wierd symtoms at the same time. I think my father and I had narrowed the rattle on the SVX down to one of the bushings for the rear suspension subframe. I'll have to ask him tomorrow, hopefully he'll remember. As far as the MR2 goes, I'll put that up on my jackstands and let my kid beat on the tires, he ought to get a kick out of that.:)

249SVX 08-27-2002 10:15 PM

update

The rattle on the MR2 was due to very very bad berrings. The previous owner must have used it for autox or drifting considering the condition of the tires. I have both rear hubs at a local speed shop getting the berings replaced so hopefully I can get them back on in time for work tomorrow. The SVX noise is due to , get this, a bad berring(boy, what a shocker) and the sub frame bushing on the same side is shot. So that explains why I have the bushings for both sides of the subframe sitting on my front porch(was wondering what I got them for). So, hopefully I can get them installed before it gets too cold.