The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Does the 2-3 flare happen sometimes or all the time? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4548)

gcookaustin 06-16-2002 09:28 PM

Does the 2-3 flare happen sometimes or all the time?

Last night pulling out from a traffic light I gave the SVX some gas. ;) It seemed like when shifting from 2-3 the RPMs went up to about 5000 or so and then it shifted. Maybe it hopped back into first, I don't know. But that scared me so I tried accelerating hard around the 2-3 shift but I couldn't get it to happen again. When the tranny starts to go and the 2-3 shift flare pops up, does it happen all the time or once every now and then until it is more frequent and then the tranny dies? I just changed my tranny oil and now this is happening?!

billisa 06-17-2002 10:01 AM

Just a hunch

But I'm going to suggest you popped back into 1st. If you've never noticed a 2/3 flare before, it seems more likely with the hard acceleration from start you instigated a downshift to 1st. Others with more knowledge may disagree.

gcookaustin 06-17-2002 03:02 PM

Well, I've been trying to accelerate hard to see if it will do it again and it seems like it will if I push the accelerator down while it's doing it's shift. I'm not about to slam the accelerator down all the way or anything, just if I give it extra gas during the shift it goes up a lot. But say I am accelerating quick and I hold the gas pedal where it is; it shifts more normal. Which I guess makes sense anyway. Oh well, at least I have a warranty.. I hope :(

immortal_suby 06-17-2002 04:53 PM

When my tranny died it did one or 2 flares then was fine, then the next day it slipped more and more and it hung around for about 2 weeks slipping before it finally gave up. My wifes tranny took a dirt nap in a matter of hours with little warning.

Earthworm 06-18-2002 06:23 PM

Sorry to hear about your tranny problems...it's scary when you don't know what's going on!

My tranny doesn't really flare as much as it takes its time shifting 2-3 or 3-4. My first things I'm going to check are the TPS (probably dirty) and TCU (anyone got spares?...I keep asking).

immortal_suby 06-19-2002 05:01 PM

I sent my spare TPS to garrison - try pm'ing him, he may be done using it. I think he was trying to diagnose a tranny flare also.

svxxx26 06-21-2002 02:46 PM

Re: Does the 2-3 flare happen sometimes or all the time?

Quote:

Originally posted by gcookaustin
Last night pulling out from a traffic light I gave the SVX some gas. ;) It seemed like when shifting from 2-3 the RPMs went up to about 5000 or so and then it shifted. Maybe it hopped back into first, I don't know. But that scared me so I tried accelerating hard around the 2-3 shift but I couldn't get it to happen again. When the tranny starts to go and the 2-3 shift flare pops up, does it happen all the time or once every now and then until it is more frequent and then the tranny dies? I just changed my tranny oil and now this is happening?!
My tranny will do that on the 2-3 shift in traffic under light/partial acceleration. Under solid (not particularly hard) acceleration it NEVER does it. As for signs that this means the tranny is about to go south.....well, mine has done this for the past 6 years/25,000 miles with no change at all in the symptoms - in fact I've learned to drive it so that it never happens anymore. Sooo....*shrugs*:rolleyes: