The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   03 Wrx Auto (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21923)

87f383 10-11-2004 07:30 PM

03 Wrx Auto

WIll this Directly swap into my 95 AWD SVX... by directly I mean both mechanically and electrically. If so, I will purchase this as my SVX hates me right now and has a whinning diff. Dear god I hope it will.

oab_au 10-11-2004 08:28 PM

May be.

I think that this model would have the later box with the brake band replaced with a clutch. If it is, you will need the TCU and the TCU to box loom. the change points will be different.

Harvey.;)

Beav 10-12-2004 07:39 AM

Check: http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/4EAatPh2Win04.pdf
More articles available, search archives for 4eat.

Chiketkd 10-12-2004 10:28 AM

I'll say this, the WRX auto will bolt directly up to the engine, but the connectors will be very different as this trans uses an updated VTD (vehicle torque distn) system, which wasn't found on pre '99 MY USDM Subarus.

If you do get the WRX auto, get the TCU and wiring harness as well. The WRX 4EAT also uses 4.11 gears, so you'll need the rear diff.

-Chike

Bxsvx 10-12-2004 10:50 AM

Quote:

'99 MY USDM Subarus

What is MY? is that a trim level of Subaru or something :confused:

ilsegretosvx 10-12-2004 10:52 AM

MY=model year

87f383 10-12-2004 11:15 AM

Well, nothing is just simple on this car is it. I don't feel like spending another few K to fix the front diff again. The third time in 2 years. So time to pursue another option if I can't find a donor tranny. RWD!

Drop the tranny take it to a machine shop and have them fab up a solid shaft to replace the transfer clutch assembly and remove my front diff and axles.

AWD is worthless in TX anyways and RWD is much more fun to drive. My firebird is at least.... but then again, it doesn't have a deplorable lack of power like the svx does. (in comparison)

Chiketkd 10-12-2004 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by 87f383
Well, nothing is just simple on this car is it. I don't feel like spending another few K to fix the front diff again. The third time in 2 years. So time to pursue another option if I can't find a donor tranny.
How about switching to 4.11/4.44 gears? You can pick up a good low mileage pre '99 Legacy/Impreza/Outback 4EAT & rear diff for around $600. Puls the added torque in every gear will make your SVX quicker!

-Chike

red95svx 10-12-2004 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by 87f383
but then again, it doesn't have a deplorable lack of power like the svx does. (in comparison)

1) The SVX is a sporty coupe......not an all-out sports car.

2) Firebirds, Camaros, and Mustangs are all a dime a dozen. I'll take rare and beautiful over fast and common any day.

Dave :)

87f383 10-12-2004 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by red95svx
2) Firebirds, Camaros, and Mustangs are all a dime a dozen. I'll take rare and beautiful over fast and common any day.

Dave :)

I don't consider my 87 Formula 350 Hardtop w/ an GENIII/T56 a common occurance. Hell, by its production numbers it is a rarer formula than my SVX is an SVX. Hell, its wheels are rarer than an SVX.

I also consider it a more trustworthy car in regards of getting me from point A to B (before I took it back apart for its next incarnation, rebuilding the GEN III). The SVX comments are out of spite. But it is in fact a slow car...for its time and now. But a pleasent driving experience it does have. :D

My front diff has failed like clockwork (3 times in 2 years, that is a considerable exspense over the 20K miles that I've owned the car) and I'm considering converting it to RWD as a viable option. If you have something to add along that path or getting the 03 WRX tranny to work(if I can still get it) Than please let me know.

87f383 10-12-2004 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Chiketkd

How about switching to 4.11/4.44 gears? You can pick up a good low mileage pre '99 Legacy/Impreza/Outback 4EAT & rear diff for around $600. Puls the added torque in every gear will make your SVX quicker!

-Chike

Any good sources for the parts? Subarus are not common in TX, everyone thinks they are ugly and there is no use for the price premium of AWD. I would be interested in doing the 4.11/4.44 swap if I can get my hands on the parts... if not then, I guess RWD is the path ahead.