The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   I had an accident; (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=63153)

svxfiles 11-08-2014 10:04 PM

I had an accident;

Just over a month ago I severed both of my flexor tendons on the ring finger on my left hand. They are not the tendons that you want to sever.
This required major surgery by a plastic surgeon!
I was carrying a 4EAT SVX transmission from the transmission jack to a pickup bed and got my hand caught between a torque converter, sitting on the truck bed, the tail shaft and the immobile truck bed side rail.

What this means to me:
I have not been allowed to work with my left hand for just over a month.
As the business owner I can not collect any sort of unemployment.
It will be at least a month, if nothing goes wrong before I can work with both hands again.
Imagine having no income for two months!:eek:

What this means to you;
I am thinking that some of you plan to have me work on your cars.
And maybe some of you want to work on your own SVX on a lift, with good lighting, a good compressor, and with a guy who has some knowledge of the SVXi. : )

So here is my proposal;
You can rent my lift/shop/tools/advice for $20.00 an hour, or $100.00 for an eight hour day, or you can buy some time for future work for $50.00 an hour when I am whole again.

This will really help me as my only income is working as a mechanic, and I can not work as a mechanic right now.
I know that this is/sounds like a sort of a crude plea for help, but I do not want to borrow or be a burden to anyone.

My sons and my close friends would help if I asked them, but I do not want that.

So if you want to use a shop/lift/svxfiles or buy some future work, please send me a pm,
or call 301-707-2837 or 301-707-3437

Thank you,
Tom Krynock (aka svxfiles...aka Old Tom)

One last thing, since this is my home, this is for the SVX/Subaru community, people that I can trust.

svxcess 11-08-2014 10:38 PM

Re: I had an accident;

I knew about this when it happened. It was quite fortunate that he was able to obtain surgery as quickly as he did.

This was serious microsurgery by a plastic surgeon who specialized in hand injuries. Had it been a little more severe, the resulting complications would have been much more extensive. There was a narrow window of time to repair this injury.

I drove out to Cumberland on the morning of his surgery to bring him back home and to retrieve his Surburban from the hospital parking lot. This accident has set back his ability to perform repairs very much. I have seen his hand cast which went from his hand to his elbow and the limitations it imposed.

In addition, doctor's appointments and physical therapy sessions weekly to regain his strength and mobility, have added to his difficulties. Also, as a business owner, he is not entitled to unemployment or workman's compensation for injury on the job.

I did not want to let the network know earlier, since it was not my place to do so. I respected his decision to make this known in his own way. We discussed this plan earlier. When I drove to Cumberland to have dinner with him and Diana tonight, we discussed it further and decided this would be the right time to do it.

His need is NOW. He is not looking for charity or handouts, just trying to get through this unforeseen situation until he fully recovers. I have no doubt that he will honor each and every agreement that he makes. I have already pre-paid for repairs and maintenance that I know I would have him do in the future anyway. I hope others will follow.

This is what family, SVX or otherwise, is all about.

Chucksta 11-09-2014 12:39 AM

Wow... Talk about coincidence!.. I've been looking to invest in something in the U.S. for some time now, but, as for reasons that don't need to be brought up here ( misspent youth LOL ), I'm not allowed to actually enter the United States at this particular point in time. But that in no way inhibits me from doing business there.

Here's what I'd like you to consider as a business arrangement. I'll send you 2K USD. You take 1K as an up front retainer against future earnings, to do what I propose, and use the other 1K as operating capital.

As you may be aware from some of my posts, I hate to see an SVX go to the wrecker. However, sometimes, it's just not financially viable to put the money needed for proper repairs into one, and, as used parts become scarcer, it is, however, sometimes necessary to sacrifice one for the common good.

I do believe that it's extremely likely that an un salvageable SVX may actually have more worth as spare parts, dollar wise, than it's purchase value. I know it's asking a bit of faith on your part in the viability this endeavour, but do you think it would be possible to get more than 2K back from the sale of all the bits off an SVX. Do you think it's possible that, it would be worth your time financially? With your intimate knowledge of the SVX and your connections, I do think it's possible that you could use some of your recuperation time to find a suitable candidate for this, and then as you become a two handed mechanic again, proceed with the removal, marketing and sale of all salvageable bits.

Of course, as I am the principle investor, you would not be held responsible for any financial shortfall. Should there be a return on investment beyond the original 2K, after a reasonable deduction for yourself, for your time and trouble, I would expect 20% of any profit from the sale of parts until the leftover shell is scrapped. At which point we could re-visit this arrangement and do it again, or not, at your discretion.

I'm open to suggestions and negotiations that would make this viable and mutually beneficial.

Your thoughts, Sir.

theflystyle 11-09-2014 02:59 PM

Tom - My sincerest wishes to you getting better and back to 100% as soon as possible.

Ron Mummert 11-09-2014 07:27 PM

Tom. I read this message, & I'm VERY sorry. I'll be trying to find ways to be of help. More later, Ron.

SVXBart 11-09-2014 08:47 PM

Help is on the way Tom.
Get well.

svxfiles 11-11-2014 07:59 PM

Chucksta,
yours is an interesting proposal.
I too hate to part out and scrap an SVX if at all possible, but sometimes
its the best thing.
I am going to send you a PM with my phone and E-Mail, not like its a secret or anything.
at
svxfiles.com
I even have directions and photographs of the home!
Thank you for your offer, I am happy to discuss it.
Thanks again,
Tom.

cozykat 11-11-2014 08:17 PM

Tom,

I'm so sorry to hear about your accident but really relieved to hear you will get better.

While we are far away, please call me know if there is anything we can do to help. :)

Big hugs from TX,
Marisa (& Matt.. but he's a bit of a groper)

Huskymaniac 11-11-2014 08:24 PM

Probably a stupid question but do you have everything needed to replace a rear bearing and hub?

svxfiles 11-11-2014 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theflystyle (Post 737271)
Tom - My sincerest wishes to you getting better and back to 100% as soon as possible.

Thanks, PHYSICAL therapy (not just the therapy that I REALLY NEED)
twice a week, and excersizing it every day to re-gain range of motion and strength that I used to have...have really helped.
Today I drove about 300 miles in my 83 ex-mil Suburban, 150 with a tow dolly, 150 with a tow dolly, with an SVX on it.
I think that I did at least 600 hand stretches, mabey more.

svxfiles 11-11-2014 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Mummert (Post 737280)
Tom. I read this message, & I'm VERY sorry. I'll be trying to find ways to be of help. More later, Ron.

Thanks, Ron.

"I'm VERY sorry."
Why, what did you DO!?!:eek:

svxfiles 11-11-2014 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVXBart (Post 737283)
Help is on the way Tom.
Get well.

Thanks Bartos!:)

svxfiles 11-11-2014 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cozykat (Post 737327)
Tom,

I'm so sorry to hear about your accident but really relieved to hear you will get better.

While we are far away, please call me know if there is anything we can do to help. :)

Big hugs from TX,
Marisa (& Matt.. but he's a bit of a groper)

Thanks M!

But isn 't a groper a type of fish?:confused:

svxfiles 11-11-2014 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huskymaniac (Post 737328)
Probably a stupid question but do you have everything needed to replace a rear bearing and hub?

Tony, I know that I have a rear Subaru hub, new, and if I don't have the bearing and seals I can get them from Subaru in a couple of days.

By "hub' did you mean #28052PA010
If so I have a new one here.

Or did you mean #28012PA020/28012PA030?
For those I will have to see which one that I do have, new in a box.

cozykat 11-11-2014 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxfiles (Post 737333)
Thanks M!

But isn 't a groper a type of fish?:confused:

haha.. yeah I tried to searching for the proper descriptive adjective but didn't quite work out. :lol: