The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Car for my little bro (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=53255)

icingdeath88 02-23-2010 06:44 PM

Car for my little bro

Well guys, it's time for my younger brother to get his first car. He's 17, a junior in high school and has a budget of $2000. He lives in Tampa too.

What are your recommendations? Keep in mind it doesn't have to be the most practical thing possible, though that's always a plus. My other brother has a 240 and I have the SVX. So between me and him we know our way around '90s sports cars decently well. I'm not sure that an SVX is the way to go, because of how expensive they can be and how hard it can be to find a good one. Not in a huge hurry though and he said he would like an SVX, so perhaps.

What do you all think? What would you get for your high school brother's first car?

Wikedjuggalo 02-23-2010 06:52 PM

Re: Car for my little bro

Quote:

Originally Posted by icingdeath88 (Post 636003)
Well guys, it's time for my younger brother to get his first car. He's 17, a junior in high school and has a budget of $2000. He lives in Tampa too.

What are your recommendations? Keep in mind it doesn't have to be the most practical thing possible, though that's always a plus. My other brother has a 240 and I have the SVX. So between me and him we know our way around '90s sports cars decently well. I'm not sure that an SVX is the way to go, because of how expensive they can be and how hard it can be to find a good one. Not in a huge hurry though and he said he would like an SVX, so perhaps.

What do you all think? What would you get for your high school brother's first car?

Sigh... Even though I hate these cars... a civic or accord is your best bet. the up keep on these cars is.... interesting. The parts for civics etc are plentiful and cheap compared to our cars. Again I hate them but for a highschool with a low budget they are the best bet.

Tim 02-23-2010 06:55 PM

I recommend Corollas too :D

TomsSVX 02-23-2010 07:02 PM

My 98 Forester is prob the best car I ever bought when it comes to reliability and cost of ownership and maint.

Granted I did A LOT of preventative maint before I drove it X-country but honestly. I put $1500 total into the car with another $500 in good offroad tires for it to handle any weather... I have put 50K miles on it in the last year... Besides my own antics breaking pieces here and there, I am sure it would have been just fine if I didn't beat the hell out of it or sink it in up to the bottom of the windows in water...

Point is, I still drive it all the time. It starts, runs, and drives whenever I need it to

Tom

benebob 02-23-2010 07:20 PM

How about an Impreza coupe, sedan or wagon depending on his flavor. 1.8 is perfectly fine with the stick but the 2.2 will get just as good of gas mileage. VERY safe car as I rolled mine 2x and hit an enbankment at 75ish and lived to tell with some bumps bruises and a broken ankle. Sure it isn't as cheap as a honda for maint. but it is easier to do the work yourself and cheaper to buy at the onset.

icingdeath88 02-23-2010 08:52 PM

Good ideas guys. I's hate for him to be another chump with a corolla/civic/boring-mobile. I have a feeling he's not going to go for a Forester, just because of the cool factor, but an Impreza might be a very good bet. What all types were there, and what to look for? I know that the early 2.5 boxer-4s had head gasket problems or some such, but other than that I don't know. What about 90s Legacies? Might have a hard time finding good ones as Subarus are even less common down here in Florida than they are up north.

Manarius 02-24-2010 06:39 AM

The 1990-1994 Legacies are built like tanks and require little or no upkeep. Plus you get AWD :)

SoCal LS-L 02-24-2010 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manarius (Post 636067)
The 1990-1994 Legacies are built like tanks and require little or no upkeep. Plus you get AWD :)

Yeah forget those oil changes too, all it does is make the other fluids look bad.... and they dont like that :mad:

:D:tongue:

icingdeath88 02-24-2010 10:10 AM

Cool, thanks guys, I'll look around.