The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Bubbling Noise??? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=40654)

ShiuludeSVX 09-09-2007 02:33 PM

Bubbling Noise???

This may be coming from a sort of Vapor Lock, but I have noticed a somewhat Bubbling Noise in the right rear area from time to time.

It's not loud enough to show during driving, and it seems to be only on first startup of the day.

Any input on what to check would be appreciated.:confused:

Ricochet 09-09-2007 02:35 PM

hey weird I've had this noise a few times too, only after driving for a while and turning the car off at home

dcarrb 09-10-2007 06:14 AM

Fuel gurgling in the tank. Normal life sounds, if my cars are any indication.

dcb

crazyhorse 09-10-2007 03:25 PM

Doesn't the fuel tank have a transfer pump? If so, I'd put even $$$ on that being your noise.

budbaer 09-10-2007 10:28 PM

Mine makes the same noise. I always assumed it was the fuel tank depressurizing after the fuel pump turns off.

ShiuludeSVX 09-11-2007 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by budbaer (Post 492517)
Mine makes the same noise. I always assumed it was the fuel tank depressurizing after the fuel pump turns off.

Thanks all..

The noise is during startup, and there is a noise on shutdown, but that one comes from the Driver's side, and I assume that is a pump.

I'll pay more attention to conditions in the next few days, since it's due to warm up again here.

Edit.... It just sounds different from the outside. If you listen to the right rear quarter, you can hear it very clearly.
It sounds more like a mechanical sound from the inside. I thought maybe I had the right rear diff letting go.

Thanks again.

thumper_svx 09-12-2007 07:00 PM

Not specifically an answer for the poster, but an answer to others.

As a three-time SVX owner (offender?) I will say that noises on startup and shutdown seem to be the norm. It's a Subaru thing... every Subaru I owned (including a Loyale and a Legacy) demonstrated this problem. There's a bubbling noise after the engine shuts down... well, I traced this in my SVX to the cooling and air conditioning systems. They both do it, and cause slightly different noises. A slight hissing/bubbling noise is the A/C. A deeper bubbling noise is the cooling system.

Now, a bubbling on startup is usually the same thing. Bear in mind though that I have not encountered it being audbile outside the car... at least not significantly (maybe I didn't get out of the car fast enough).

I would get concerned about a noise that's loud enough to hear from outside the car... but anything from inside is probably relatively benign.

Hope this helps put someones mind at ease.

AlcyoneDaze 09-13-2007 10:39 AM

I've been hearing it inside the car and outside the car if the hood is opened when im shutting her down... just assumed it was coolant/fuel/freon settling down for the night

thumper_svx 09-13-2007 03:56 PM

Yeah, that's sort of the sound I was describing. It may be nothing... as I said every Subaru I've ever owned did this and I never had a problem.

Hope that helps ease your mind a little.