The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   '96/'97 SVX question (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17523)

Chiketkd 03-28-2004 02:03 PM

'96/'97 SVX question

I'm looking at a red '96 SVX L at a dealer with just over 90K miles on it. Two questions:

1) How many members have had to replace the OBDII auto tranny on a '96/'97 SVX?

2) How long can these 3.3L boxer engines last before they go bad (burn oil, leaky seals, blow gaskets)? I've seen some members with over 170K miles on their cars, but I'm not sure what state their engines are in, or if they're on a second/third engine.

Thanks!:)

ensteele 03-28-2004 02:32 PM

Engines, if taken care of, will last a very long time. There is a SVX in my area that has almost 300,000 miles on it and doesn't burn a drop of oil. It is still going strong. Maintenance is the key!

As far as trannys for this year, I don't know how many have been replaced. Most of the problems were with the 92s, and the later years had less problems. Good luck. :)

Chiketkd 03-28-2004 03:24 PM

300,000 miles?! That's amazing. Didn't know they lasted that long. Sweet. Yeah, I also heard about the earlier years having the most tranny problems, which is why I'm looking at the '96/'97 SVX's with the revised OBDII.

One thing I found interesting while doing my research: The AWD L model SVX's (with cloth interior, no sunroof, 4 speakers) are approx 150lbs lighter than the Lsi models. Since I'm looking to make my SVX a project car which I'll often take to the dragstrip and autoX, it seems like this model would be the way to go for me...

Thanks!

Seraph 03-28-2004 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Chiketkd
which is why I'm looking at the '96/'97 SVX's with the revised OBDII.

One thing I found interesting while doing my research: The AWD L model SVX's (with cloth interior, no sunroof, 4 speakers) are approx 150lbs lighter than the Lsi models. Since I'm looking to make my SVX a project car which I'll often take to the dragstrip and autoX, it seems like this model would be the way to go for me...

Thanks!

What on earth is a revised ODBII?

They are lighter. Check though, if my memory is correct, unless you special order the car, L models will not have ABS.
AutoX is great. I am not sure if the drag stip will help the auto tranny. Take it from my experience, if you have the money, go for it, otherwise, if you are looking for a dragstrip/autocross car, SVX might not be it. It was not designed to do that.

Mr. Pockets 03-28-2004 04:11 PM

I will warn you that the SVX is not a race car. It's a great car to take on long trips and fantastic to be seen in downtown, but it's not built for drag racing.

Up until last weekend, I wouldn't have even suggested that anybody autocross one. But then I saw Michael Blue race his, and I was really impressed with how fast the car turned the course (even with his hosed transfer clutch). It seems well-matched in g-stock.

Anyway, racing the SVX will undoubtably result in high repair bills. It's to be expected that racing any car will put far more strain on a car than normal driving, and the SVX is already sort of expensive to take care of.

My recommendation, if you're looking for a drag/autocross car, is to look elsewhere. Aftermarket support is virtually non-existant, and the car will break your financial will if you treat it poorly.

ensteele 03-28-2004 05:36 PM

I could not agree more! :)

Chiketkd 03-28-2004 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Seraph
What on earth is a revised ODBII?

They are lighter. Check though, if my memory is correct, unless you special order the car, L models will not have ABS.
AutoX is great. I am not sure if the drag stip will help the auto tranny. Take it from my experience, if you have the money, go for it, otherwise, if you are looking for a dragstrip/autocross car, SVX might not be it. It was not designed to do that.
Seraph from what I've reasearched, the OBDII is the name given to the auto tranny in the '96/'97 SVX's. Oh, the L model comes standard with ABS. The only differences between the L and LSi models are luxury items - leather seats, 6 speaker audio, driver side power seat and sunroof. They are also a few other items in the LSi like a storage bin under the driver's seat and the rear seats are split folding in the LSi and just single folding in the L.

Guys, I understand your concerns about racing an SVX. I've read the posts by people who've driven their cars like old lady's and still had broken trannys. Thing is, if my tranny breaks, I plan on doing the WRX 5spd conversion anyway. However, before I do the swap, I plan on getting the auto shift kit and upgraded tranny cooler to hopefully make my tranny last longer. I just have to drag race the car - the SVX is beautiful and I don't mind pouring some bucks into my project car to make it race worthy.

There's no other car in it's price range that lights my fire in the same way!

HighwayUFO 03-28-2004 06:48 PM

I can see where you are coming from. I will have to agree with everyone else and say that if I were you, I would not abuse the car. You will soon see the benefit of not trashing your car. But do with it what you may, you'll just be kicking yourself later.

red95svx 03-28-2004 07:12 PM

two things....

OBDII is On Board Diagnostics II. It is how mechanics scan for trouble codes stored in the vehicles ECM. It has nothing to do with transmissions.

In the L model SVX's, ABS was not standard. AWD wasn't standard either. Both of them were available in a package called "Active Safety".

Dave

Seraph 03-28-2004 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Chiketkd

Seraph from what I've reasearched, the OBDII is the name given to the auto tranny in the '96/'97 SVX's. Oh, the L model comes standard with ABS. The only differences between the L and LSi models are luxury items - leather seats, 6 speaker audio, driver side power seat and sunroof. They are also a few other items in the LSi like a storage bin under the driver's seat and the rear seats are split folding in the LSi and just single folding in the L.

Guys, I understand your concerns about racing an SVX. I've read the posts by people who've driven their cars like old lady's and still had broken trannys. Thing is, if my tranny breaks, I plan on doing the WRX 5spd conversion anyway. However, before I do the swap, I plan on getting the auto shift kit and upgraded tranny cooler to hopefully make my tranny last longer. I just have to drag race the car - the SVX is beautiful and I don't mind pouring some bucks into my project car to make it race worthy.

There's no other car in it's price range that lights my fire in the same way!

I know what ODBII is. I don't know what a revised ODBII is about. There is nothing revised in the 96/7 models. All the 94.5 + trannies are the same.

92s have theirs and 93/4 have a slightly different unit. (as in number of teeths inside and such with the same final drive ratios)

Are you more than willing to drop a 10k fixes on a SVX without giving it a second thought. An abused SVX will take more than that to fix. I am not scaring you. Just giving you a heads up. A lot of things on a SVX are easier said than done. Just a reminder.

A lot of people here race their SVXes. I know of SVXes (I used to own one) with over 120k with an original tranny. So YMMV but like the rest of the people I'd still saying if you want to race a car, get something like 3kGT or a mustang.

Seraph 03-28-2004 07:18 PM

Re: two things....

Quote:

Originally posted by red95svx
OBDII is On Board Diagnostics II. It is how mechanics scan for trouble codes stored in the vehicles ECM. It has nothing to do with transmissions.

In the L model SVX's, ABS was not standard. AWD wasn't standard either. Both of them were available in a package called "Active Safety".

Dave

True for 95 models but AWD is standard for ALL Subarus imported in the US since 96.

But ABS is a part of active safety package.

Chiketkd 03-28-2004 07:44 PM

Seraph you'e right about AWD being standard on '96/'97 models. However, from the material I've read at different sites, it states that ABS was standard in the L models. If it was part of an active saftey package, I'll have to look into whether the one I'm buying has it.

I can't deal with 10K fixes, but if my tranny goes I'll pay for the 5 spd swap. I'm not stretching to buy an SVX as I'll be changing from a 32K performance truck. I've dealt with high repair bills for years. My college toy was a 1990 300ZX TT.

My goal is to make one of the most beautiful cars ever made, a serious performance machine to be reckoned with - and I plan on doing it w/out adding a turbo, supercharger or NOS.

Seraph 03-28-2004 07:58 PM

If you plan on making it fast without NOS, Turbo or Super Chargers, I wish you luck. I know it can have some but to make it fly will cost you a lot. Remember, when you bring up the HP on the engine, you have to change everything underneath the frame too. You have to upgrade the brakes, drive shafts etc so that they can handle the new upgraded hp from the engine. They can be done. Just costly. If you succeed, there will be many people who'll follow you. Including myself.

Chiketkd 03-28-2004 08:41 PM

Seraph that's my goal! What you said is 100% accurate about upgrading the 'entire' car. On the Mod Mania forum, Longassname is developing a reflashed ECU for the SVX. With its 3.3L engine, and AFR's held in the mid 12 range, we should see at least an increase of 20hp at peak. If you add a cone filter and free flowing exhaust/cats from the headers back, our cars' output should jump from 230 to 270hp+. I also plan on upgrading the struts, shocks, springs, anti-roll bars, brake rotors, brake lines, brake pads and possibly even the drive shaft (with a carbon fiber unit), as well as doing a 5spd swap.

Now this is all my educated guessing, but I'm basing it off of my experience in racing (schools, drag racing, AutoX) and helping my friends modify their cars (Evo, SVT Lightning, 300ZX's). These Subaru flat 6's seem to be one of the most under developed engines I've come across.

The SVX will be my first project car, and I plan on keeping everyone on this forum updated of my progress. I personally feel that with just 1-1.5K in performance mods, this car can be a serious rival to other performance cars on the market today.

I'm the author of the article The Japanese Supercars. The SVX is one great car!

-Chike
P.S. Here's a pic of the '96 SVX L I'm looking at. I can see her in my garage now... :)
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...etkd/16242.jpg

HighwayUFO 03-28-2004 08:43 PM

if you do succeed in making a fast svx while remaining completely charger free as well as spray free, do provide light at the end of the tunnel for everyone.