The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   SVX body repair (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11130)

Tarostar 06-03-2003 08:02 AM

SVX body repair

There is a crack in the roof along with a few chips and dents that i want taken care of. I am most concerned with the crack because rain can get into the roof of the car. Will this be able to be taken care of without major difficulties and a major bill? Is there anything unusual about that SVX that could lead to trouble for a regular autobody shop?

mohrds 06-03-2003 10:04 AM

Re: SVX body repair

Quote:

Originally posted by Tarostar
There is a crack in the roof along with a few chips and dents that i want taken care of. I am most concerned with the crack because rain can get into the roof of the car. Will this be able to be taken care of without major difficulties and a major bill? Is there anything unusual about that SVX that could lead to trouble for a regular autobody shop?
Crack?

Please describe the crack in more detail. Is it a crack in the paint or in the metal? Has the car been repaired in this area previously?

Under normal conditions, the SVX presents no unique challenges to a body shop other than the usual rubber trimmed window headaches that most cars have.

I miss metal window trim...

Doug

svxistentialist 06-03-2003 01:00 PM

Crack in the roof

Do not park or stop that car near any police sniffer dogs.

Joe:) :D :D

Uncamitzi 06-03-2003 04:38 PM

Re: Crack in the roof

Quote:

Originally posted by svxistentialist
Do not park or stop that car near any police sniffer dogs.

Joe:) :D :D

Joe, You crack me up! :D :D :D

ensteele 06-03-2003 04:59 PM

Could be worse! Grass could be growing out of the crack! :D

Tarostar 06-03-2003 06:55 PM

Actually, the crack is fairly deep and about 6 inches long on the roof. It goes through the paint/fiber glass to the metal, and i am worried about it rotting. One guy I talked to suggested that I just replace the roof, but he quoted a price of ~2k which is out of the question right now. Any suggestions.

mohrds 06-03-2003 07:24 PM

Quote:

Actually, the crack is fairly deep and about 6 inches long on the roof. It goes through the paint/fiber glass to the metal, and i am worried about it rotting. One guy I talked to suggested that I just replace the roof, but he quoted a price of ~2k which is out of the question right now. Any suggestions.
Do you have a digital camera? I'd like to see a picture of it. The roof is all metal and should not contain fiberglass.

The trunk is fiberglass, is that what you are talking about?

Doug

Tarostar 06-03-2003 07:56 PM

ok, then it is just the paint that is cracked then, but the metal is beginning to rust a bit.

Tarostar 06-04-2003 07:27 PM

Hmm, got a second estimate at $850. That seems like a huge difference to me...

Uncamitzi 06-04-2003 09:59 PM

A picture would sure help. I think we are having trouble visualizing a crack in the roof. I don't think that has come up before..... of course I could be wrong...

Earthworm 06-05-2003 07:41 PM

I have a very tiny crack (<1/2 inch) in the paint in my roof. Never worried about it myself.

Ron Mummert 06-05-2003 09:36 PM

Quote:

ok, then it is just the paint that is cracked then, but the metal is beginning to rust a bit.

Huh!? You've got quotes from $850 to $2,000 to "fix" a paint crack with a bit of rust? Seems to me a bit of sandpaper, some rust fix stuff, & a can 'o dupli-color would do the job for about 5 bucks. I mean I got my whole car de-dinged & painted with gen-u-ine Suby Ebony Mica for $2,800.
This must be one mean crack.

Ron (cleavage fan).

ensteele 06-05-2003 10:16 PM

You had better get some of that CRACK PUTTY in that thing! :D

Tarostar 06-20-2003 04:45 PM

Ok, I finally got some pictures up of it. It is in my locker in the sub sub folder called the Hull Breach. Thanks guys.

nubs 06-20-2003 08:38 PM

Quote:

Ok, I finally got some pictures up of it. It is in my locker in the sub sub folder called the Hull Breach. Thanks guys.
I just looked at the photos of the crack in your roof.
Just want to say I have been working on cars for over twenty years and have never seen anything like that before.:eek:
That car must have been in a serious accident. It would take something really intense to have a crack apear at that location.
If I were you I would have the whole car checked out and have it repaired as soon as possible