The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   sputter sputter run die (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57830)

VICSVX 07-12-2011 05:29 PM

sputter sputter run die

bout a week ago i was driving around and my car started to sputter and have rough idle...i thought it was running on fumes so i filled up at the gas station..it fires right up and i thought all was dandy. well the other i started it after driving 30 min and it had rough idle again so i gave it some gas and it smoothed out to normal. i drove back home and let it sit for awhile before i went to work and it would not start. it cranks over so its not the battery...any ideas? i tried it again today and did minor trouble shooting and looked at the forum but nothing popped out at me. injectors? fuel pump? spark plugs?

svxfiles 07-12-2011 08:02 PM

Re: sputter sputter run die

Quote:

Originally Posted by VICSVX (Post 681738)
bout a week ago i was driving around and my car started to sputter and have rough idle...i thought it was running on fumes so i filled up at the gas station..it fires right up and i thought all was dandy. well the other i started it after driving 30 min and it had rough idle again so i gave it some gas and it smoothed out to normal. i drove back home and let it sit for awhile before i went to work and it would not start. it cranks over so its not the battery...any ideas? i tried it again today and did minor trouble shooting and looked at the forum but nothing popped out at me. injectors? fuel pump? spark plugs?

MAF.Most likely.

VICSVX 07-21-2011 09:09 PM

I checked that by replacing one I have in my other svx...still no start...any other ideas?

1986nate 07-21-2011 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VICSVX (Post 682361)
I checked that by replacing one I have in my other svx...still no start...any other ideas?

Coolant temp sensor, fuel pump
Have you tried checking the codes?

VICSVX 07-22-2011 12:45 PM

NO I haven't checked codes due to time lol but ill look. Any way to check the fuel pump without takin it out lol

XT6Wagon 07-22-2011 02:04 PM

clean your battery cables at both ends. The terminal connections also need to be taken off the end of the cable and cleaned as there is almost allways corrosion in there. Last if the body ground is super rusty like my car is, might think about adding a new body to engine ground wire somewhere else.

This fixed my SVX's stalling issues. If it doesn't fix yours, atleast you will have any grounding issues messing with your testing of the sensors.

VICSVX 07-26-2011 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XT6Wagon (Post 682409)
clean your battery cables at both ends. The terminal connections also need to be taken off the end of the cable and cleaned as there is almost allways corrosion in there. Last if the body ground is super rusty like my car is, might think about adding a new body to engine ground wire somewhere else.

This fixed my SVX's stalling issues. If it doesn't fix yours, atleast you will have any grounding issues messing with your testing of the sensors.

so your car did the same as mine? i replaced fuel filter and now in the middle of taking fuel pump out. i'll try cleaning post while im at it...anything else to try?

msvx95 07-26-2011 08:45 PM

Yes, again, did you check your codes...when the car idles rough, that should kick the CEL light on your dash. Mine did that when my IACV went funky.

VICSVX 07-26-2011 08:54 PM

well i cant even get it to run now lol once i get it that far i'll do that but right now having issues getting her to start

msvx95 07-27-2011 04:45 AM

Here's a quick how-to for checking codes...you don't have to start the vehicle or have it run.

The "Check Engine Light" indicates transmission codes. Long blinks = 10, short blinks = 1. In other words, two long and two short blinks is a code 22. One long and one short is code 11.

The following self diagnosis will show any fault codes for the engine:
Remove the kick panel just beside the left foot rest on the driver's side.
Locate blue wires.
Locate black connector (smaller of the 2 black ones). Hold it notch up.
With ignition off, insert one of the wires into top row, 2nd pin from left.
Turn key to on position, but do not start the car.
Count the blinks from check engine light on dashboard.

XT6Wagon 07-27-2011 11:23 PM

yah my car had

hard starting
rough idle
random stalling at idle
stalling shifting between gears

you could usualy get it to stay running if you kept it at 1,500-2,000rpm. But that gets old quick even just doing it to move it between parking spots around the property.

VICSVX 07-31-2011 02:57 PM

So I replaced the fuel filter with no dice. So I decided to take the plunge and R&R the fuel pump....and bingo.

Thanks for all the advice guys:)

icingdeath88 07-31-2011 10:53 PM

Nicely done, sir.

And thanks for posting the solution. :) Many times people forget to and that makes searching the forums (years later of course) fruitless.

VICSVX 08-02-2011 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icingdeath88 (Post 683037)
Nicely done, sir.

And thanks for posting the solution. :) Many times people forget to and that makes searching the forums (years later of course) fruitless.

thanks lol I know what you mean...been through many unfinished threads:/ removing the pump was a little tricky but doable with patients..same with install lol

Now to the trans:/ lol its always sometí :lol: