The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Timing belt broke, caused collateral damage (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52071)

Bohler 10-22-2009 05:22 PM

Timing belt broke, caused collateral damage

4 Attachment(s)
My timing belt broke about two weeks ago. Replaced it, was running alright after I replaced it, though not as good as it was prior to replacement. I thought I might have been a tooth off. It is my daily driver so I was kind of in hurry to get it back together. It started running worse so I ordered a new water pump from the dealership figured I might as well change it if I am going in again. Lined up the timing marks, seemed like it was idling fine so I put it all back together. Still running just as bad as it was. So I went back in tonight and it looked like the passenger side cam was slightly out of time, but not by a full tooth. Took it off and found this(see pictures). Like I said before this is my daily driver(25 miles to work). My question is if I get a new key and pulley would that CAM shaft hold it in place well enough to last a couple of weeks until I can take leave to go home to PA to pick up my other car. Thanks in advance.
Jarrad Bohler

oab_au 10-22-2009 05:32 PM

Re: Timing belt broke, caused collateral damage

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bohler (Post 622484)
My timing belt broke about two weeks ago. Replaced it, was running alright after I replaced it, though not as good as it was prior to replacement. I thought I might have been a tooth off. It is my daily driver so I was kind of in hurry to get it back together. It started running worse so I ordered a new water pump from the dealership figured I might as well change it if I am going in again. Lined up the timing marks, seemed like it was idling fine so I put it all back together. Still running just as bad as it was. So I went back in tonight and it looked like the passenger side cam was slightly out of time, but not by a full tooth. Took it off and found this(see pictures). Like I said before this is my daily driver(25 miles to work). My question is if I get a new key and pulley would that CAM shaft hold it in place well enough to last a couple of weeks until I can take leave to go home to PA to pick up my other car. Thanks in advance.
Jarrad Bohler

This is becoming a common problem. You could try a new pulley and key, and use one of the, pulley mount Lock Tight products. I have had success with Lock Tight holding worn pulley to shaft mounting. Leave it for at least 12 hours to cure before you start the engine.

All the best Harvey.

svxfiles 10-22-2009 06:38 PM

So it looks like from your (blurry) pictures that the rectangular groove in the passenger side cam is worn out.:confused:
If that is the case the car should run (at lower performance levels) untill you replace that camshaft.

yt 10-22-2009 06:44 PM

to fix it properly, you are going to need a new pulley and cam

Tom

Bohler 10-22-2009 07:24 PM

The key slot is worn on the end of the cam shaft and whatever that pin is in the pulley is bent and in the way of me reusing the pulley although the pulley itself looks fine. No clue where the key got to, I didn't see it fall out when I took it off.

yt 10-22-2009 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bohler (Post 622513)
The key slot is worn on the end of the cam shaft and whatever that pin is in the pulley is bent and in the way of me reusing the pulley although the pulley itself looks fine. No clue where the key got to, I didn't see it fall out when I took it off.

There is no std woodruff key. The round pin in the pulley is the key. Like I said, you will need a cam and a pulley

Tom

Bohler 10-22-2009 07:48 PM

That would explain why I didn't find a key, or at least the kind I am used to finding. So do you think replacing the pulley would buy me a few weeks without causing further damage beyond the camshaft?

yt 10-22-2009 07:50 PM

nope. The slot in the cam is worn and a new pulley will last as long as the one you have... Tom

Bohler 10-22-2009 07:57 PM

The key that is in the current pulley is bent at almost a 45 degree angle. I guess it is hard to tell from the pictures,dirty camera phone.

yt 10-22-2009 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yt (Post 622500)

Tom

+1.............

Tom

SoCal LS-L 10-22-2009 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yt (Post 622500)

Tom

Quote:

Originally Posted by yt (Post 622514)
There is no std woodruff key. The round pin in the pulley is the key. Like I said, you will need a cam and a pulley

Tom

Quote:

Originally Posted by yt (Post 622521)
nope. The slot in the cam is worn and a new pulley will last as long as the one you have... Tom

Quote:

Originally Posted by yt (Post 622527)
+1............. (to his own prior post :lol:)

Tom

:lol::lol: Sometimes you have to give yourself a point for trying so hard to get one across.

Green1995SVX 10-22-2009 10:14 PM

I think the main problem here is an extreme case of denial.

Bohler 10-23-2009 03:10 AM

I understand I need a new camshaft. My original post stated:
My question is if I get a new key and pulley would that CAM shaft hold it in place well enough to last a couple of weeks until I can take leave to go home to PA to pick up my other car.
I am stationed in CT and the SVX is the only car I have up here, so I am just looking for a temporary fix that will hold me over until I can get home to PA get one of my other cars so I can then replace the camshaft. I am not in denial. I appreciate the advice Tom, but I can't pull the engine out until I have something else to drive.
Jarrad

svxfiles 10-23-2009 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bohler (Post 622554)
I understand I need a new camshaft. My original post stated:
My question is if I get a new key and pulley would that CAM shaft hold it in place well enough to last a couple of weeks until I can take leave to go home to PA to pick up my other car.
I am stationed in CT and the SVX is the only car I have up here, so I am just looking for a temporary fix that will hold me over until I can get home to PA get one of my other cars so I can then replace the camshaft. I am not in denial. I appreciate the advice Tom, but I can't pull the engine out until I have something else to drive.
Jarrad

Yesterday 08:38 PM
svxfiles Re: Timing belt broke, caused collateral damage

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So it looks like from your (blurry) pictures that the rectangular groove in the passenger side cam is worn out.
If that is the case the car should run (at lower performance levels) untill you replace that camshaft.;)

kwren 10-23-2009 12:49 PM

You may blow a head gasket if you run it like that... Chances are that you already have.:(

Keith:cool: