The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   bad head, should i replace whole engine now? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51796)

evilsvx 09-26-2009 11:37 AM

bad head, should i replace whole engine now?

so my mechanic got back the heads from the shop ( they were supposed to clean the heads) but when they put them on the compression machine to test them, it showed some cracks inside and out side the heads. my mechanic told it would be better replacing the whole engine just in case the block was damage. is there any other option to fix this?

SilverSpear 09-26-2009 02:31 PM

Re: bad head, should i replace whole engine now?

Well what I would do is test the block for damage. Is your car burning oil by any chance?

You can either change the whole engine or buy a couple of used heads and put them on.

svxpert 09-27-2009 10:15 AM

can you post pics of the "cracks". what did you have the car at the shop for in the first place?

TomsSVX 09-27-2009 10:19 AM

Compression test on the head? Magnaflux tested maybe? This post needs to be a little more clear before any advice or suggestions are made.

Tom

kwren 09-27-2009 10:34 AM

Sounds like another shop that hasn't a clue...

Keith:cool:

TomsSVX 09-27-2009 11:34 AM

Different areas of the country use different terms... I just want to know what the hell they were talking about

Tom

evilsvx 09-27-2009 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSpear (Post 619268)
Well what I would do is test the block for damage. Is your car burning oil by any chance?
You can either change the whole engine or buy a couple of used heads and put them on.

a little but was overheating before. i dont remember that well since i didnt drive the car since like 3 months ago and now i was planning to fix it

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxpert (Post 619355)
can you post pics of the "cracks". what did you have the car at the shop for in the first place?

i took it there to replace the head gaskets cause they were bad. i will try to go to the mech place to take pics of the heads.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 619356)
Compression test on the head? Magnaflux tested maybe? This post needs to be a little more clear before any advice or suggestions are made.

Tom

the mechanic just told the shop sent them back cause the heads were bad. he said they clean the heads and put them in a special room i guess and test the compression of them and then it showed the bad parts of it like the cracks. can the heads be rebuild? he also told me that is very possible that the block could be damage and the best thing would be replacing the whole engine
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwren (Post 619358)

i hope so....

TomsSVX 09-27-2009 11:37 AM

Sounds like they magnafluxed them. I guess:confused:

Theads could very well be cracked so rebuilding them is out of the question. Your cheapest option will be to get a junkyard engine and have them do the headgaskets and seals on it and scrap your old engine

Tom

svxpert 09-27-2009 12:58 PM

<< Quote:Originally Posted by kwren

Keith

i hope so.... >>

with my shop in nj and toms shop not much further, why didnt you find a more reputable shop around? i remember when you were gathering your parts a few weeks back, i sounded like you were doing the job yourself.

oab_au 09-27-2009 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 619366)

Theads could very well be cracked so rebuilding them is out of the question. Your cheapest option will be to get a junkyard engine and have them do the headgaskets and seals on it and scrap your old engine

Tom

A bit hard to Magnaflux an aluminum head.:) Have to use a dye and developer to check aluminum.

Harvey.

evilsvx 09-28-2009 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 619366)

Tom

yeah i already posted on craiglist for wtb an engine but no answer back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxpert (Post 619368)
<< Quote:Originally Posted by kwren

Keith

i hope so.... >>

with my shop in nj and toms shop not much further, why didnt you find a more reputable shop around? i remember when you were gathering your parts a few weeks back, i sounded like you were doing the job yourself.

its a mechanic that my brother knows but he doesnt have a shop. i would of take to your spot or toms but taking the car over there would of be a pain.

svxcess 09-28-2009 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilsvx (Post 619452)
I would of take to your spot or toms but taking the car over there would of be a pain.

Looks like it's only a little over 70 miles from you to Tom's place in West Creek, NJ.

Join AAA. get the plus package for $105.00/year and you can get 100 miles of free towing to any repair shop. Much cheaper than having it towed any other way. Plus you can have this done 4 times a year at no charge.

See HERE

evilsvx 09-29-2009 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxcess (Post 619461)
Looks like it's only a little over 70 miles from you to Tom's place in West Creek, NJ.

Join AAA. get the plus package for $105.00/year and you can get 100 miles of free towing to any repair shop. Much cheaper than having it towed any other way. Plus you can have this done 4 times a year at no charge.

See HERE

i guess, for now im just letting this mechanic finish this job since i already started w him but i will go to your place for other stuff since i need to fix her up little by little. how far are you from my place

kwren 09-29-2009 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilsvx (Post 619693)
i guess, for now im just letting this mechanic finish this job since i already started w him but i will go to your place for other stuff since i need to fix her up little by little. how far are you from my place

Big mistake...

evilsvx 09-29-2009 08:21 PM

what do you mean