The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The New SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9700)

LarryIII 04-01-2003 04:35 AM

The New SVX

Hi all you SVXers out there in SVXland,

For some time now, my sources have been hinting about a future SVX. Last night I finally got the straight dope. Here's the skinny.

If the production version of the B-111S (yes, I said production version) is a sales sucess, FHI/SIA plans to bring a special, high powered sporting coupe version out. They are tentatively going to name this coupe version 'SVX'.
SIA/FHI and Toyota (new Supra?) have been analyzing sales reports of retro cars such as the new Bettle, the Ford T-Bird, the Mini, and especially the new Z-car. They are also going to closely watch sales of the new RX-8.
I was also told that many of the people involved in the original SVX are now in executive positions at SIA/FHI. These Japanese executives want to 'redeem' themselves. They want a change to prove that they were right with the original concept.
The new SVX is proported to be powered by a special high output, bored and stroked version of the current 3.0L flat six. My guess is somewhere around 3.5L This engine will be turbocharged. I was told that a few of these engines are already on test stands. The transmissions are both auto and manual.
Pricing will be $35-40+ K range. Thats all I know.

Larry III

PS: (happy april fools day, everyone)

Chris 04-01-2003 05:14 AM

[holding my breath]
:D :D :D :D :D :D

mohrds 04-01-2003 05:14 AM

Good One!

I guess I have to get up earlier next year to beat you to the punch :D

Doug

svxistentialist 04-01-2003 06:21 AM

And they are only going to fight 5 days a week in Iraq because of the cost of overtime.

Larry, you lost me after "bored and stroked version", my predelictions and imagination generally take over after certain keywords.

Joe:D

RRX 04-01-2003 06:53 AM

Hopefully this is true. Sounds like this time around the looks will actually match the performance.

mattski 04-01-2003 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by RRX
Hopefully this is true. Sounds like this time around the looks will actually match the performance.
RRX, check your calendar.

Matt

Mr. Pockets 04-01-2003 07:07 AM

Larry, that's not fair. This April Fool's Day joke will haunt us for years...

Chicane 04-01-2003 07:43 AM

Well, it seems reasonable, despite the joke. My only comment is if they made a manual version the SVX WOULDNT HAVE BEEN A FAILURE IN THE FIRST PLACE.

- Rob

Porter 04-01-2003 07:44 AM

Hehe, good April fool's joke!

Interesting that it's probably not untrue! The performance hawks at SOJ are looking to go big following on the success of the Impreza WRX STi this year... it's a waiting game to see how the STi is received. I wouldn't be surprised to see a revised version of the B11S on the dealer's lot in about 3 years if sales of the STi are good.

Mr. Pockets 04-01-2003 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Chicane
Well, it seems reasonable, despite the joke. My only comment is if they made a manual version the SVX WOULDNT HAVE BEEN A FAILURE IN THE FIRST PLACE.

- Rob

Maybe a manual would have helped sales, but your argument ignores the general sentiment towards Subaru in the early '90s.

'$35k for a Subaru? Are they NUTS?'

Not only that, but the styling was unconventional. Some people love it - and those people are here today. Some people hated it and decided, without even driving one, that' those windows look like they'll get in the way.'

I don't think offering a manual transmission option would have saved the SVX.

LarryIII 04-01-2003 10:19 AM

Nick,

You are right on the money as usual. I would just add one more little thing.

Subaru did such a first rate job at marketing the SVX.........NOT.

phoenix96 04-01-2003 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

Maybe a manual would have helped sales, but your argument ignores the general sentiment towards Subaru in the early '90s.

'$35k for a Subaru? Are they NUTS?'

Not only that, but the styling was unconventional. Some people love it - and those people are here today. Some people hated it and decided, without even driving one, that' those windows look like they'll get in the way.'

I don't think offering a manual transmission option would have saved the SVX.

Also, the mid 90s were when the SUV craze hit its stride and many of the big coupes were killed off... The Supra, 3000GT, RX-7, even the Prelude died eventually.

BradT 04-02-2003 10:32 AM

Let's not exaggerate the original price too much ... invoice on a base '92 SVX was $23,042 -- and I'm sure many leftover '92s went for close to that.

(For comparison, invoice on a '92 Legacy LSi AWD sedan was $20,002.)

oab_au 04-02-2003 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by BradT
Let's not exaggerate the original price too much ... invoice on a base '92 SVX was $23,042 -- and I'm sure many leftover '92s went for close to that.

(For comparison, invoice on a '92 Legacy LSi AWD sedan was $20,002.)

The 95 Australian LSI cost $A84,500.

Harvey.;)