The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Tire rotation problem (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13753)

Mr. Pockets 10-14-2003 09:23 AM

Tire rotation problem

Isn't it always te simple things that get you in trouble?

As I may have mentioned, I did tire rotations and oil changes on both the SVX and Justy on Sunday. The SVX is probably okay - although I have to admit I haven't driven it. The Justy I drove to work today for the first time this week.

It's drifting to the right pretty severely. All I did was rotate the tires and change the oil - WTF did I DO???

svx_commuter 10-14-2003 09:39 AM

Hit a pot hole sometime ago I guess. Time for a wheel alignment. Eh?

Mr. Pockets 10-14-2003 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by svx_commuter
Well, it's literally like this:

Car drove straight before tire rotation.

Car does not drive straight after tire rotation.

But, you're probably right - the only thing to do is take it to be aligned.

Bobb 10-14-2003 11:13 AM

Rotation

Hi Nick, Just for fun, put the tires back where they were and see what happens. could be a bad belt on one tire or something not suspension related. Hope its something simple. Take care, BOBB

mbtoloczko 10-14-2003 01:00 PM

It does sound like the alignment is out, and the tires took a set. You should definitely have the alignment checked. Even after the alignment gets reset, the car will still pull until the tires take a new set to the corrected alignment.

gl1674 10-14-2003 04:27 PM

First, you can eliminate oil change as a suspect for drifiting problem. It is not :)

Second, you should check tire pressure and wear patterns on you tires.

A bad tire can pull to a side quite dramatically and its position (front/back) can affect the pull as well.

Mr. Pockets 10-14-2003 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by gl1674
First, you can eliminate oil change as a suspect for drifiting problem. It is not :)
Ha!

Quote:

Originally posted by gl1674
Second, you should check tire pressure and wear patterns on you tires.

A bad tire can pull to a side quite dramatically and its position (front/back) can affect the pull as well.

The tires are very close in wear left to right. Front to back is a different story. I hadn't rotated these tires in about 15k miles, so the rears looked brand-spanking new. The pressures I have to admit I haven't kept a close eye on.

'It's a Justy - there's not a lot of air in a 12in tire to leak out.'

LarryIII 10-14-2003 06:30 PM

You guys missed it all.

He put the SVX tires on one side of the Justy and vice versa.:D

Ron Mummert 10-14-2003 08:48 PM

Obvious. You should have changed the tires, & rotated the oil.

Anytime.

Ron.

(Didja' hear about the absent minded park policeman? Yup - mounted his whistle & blew his horse).

svx_commuter 10-15-2003 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by svx_commuter
I use a shop with a Hunter alignment machine. :cool: It does the alignment even if the tires are worn. What a nice concept. (Beav recommended)

Earthworm 10-24-2003 05:00 PM

Our Justy has well over 185,000 miles on it and I don't remember EVER getting an alignment on it. I'm sure it tracks pretty bad but has never really had poorly worn tires.

(SVX is another story)