The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Getting Ready for Long-Needed Maintenance (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44132)

Nomake Wan 04-05-2008 11:22 PM

Getting Ready for Long-Needed Maintenance

Okay guys, I'm at 91k miles now and I'm finally getting around to doing the 60k service. Way late, I know, but stuff happens. :rolleyes:

Anyway, here are the parts I already have.

-Timing Belt Kit w/ Water Pump (eBay kit, includes pulleys and such)
-Front L/R Timing Covers

I'm putting together an order for the rest of the timing covers (front center, rear L/R) as well as the seals for them. P/Ns are:

13566AA070 - Center Cover Assembly w/ seals
13532AA002 - Rear Timing Cover
13584AA090 - Rear Timing Seal
13533AA002 - Rear Timing Cover
13586AA060 - Rear Timing Seal

When I attempted to get my covers off originally, the plastic holding the bolts broke... and since then I've been leaking oil out of the covers. I'm guessing that's the seals.

Anything else I should be replacing while I'm at it? The thermostat and gasket are relatively new (within 2k miles).

JLHollowX13 04-06-2008 06:56 AM

i would change the spark plugs too if they havent been changed in awhile. i noticed my car sounds a lot better after new plugs. they suck to put in, but i think it was worth it. its alot smoother and just purrs so much better.

also, i would do the tranny filter/gasket if you havent done it. mine looked as if no one ever changed it since they put the new transmission in. the fluid smelled terrible and i had to drain it in stages. plus you can clean off the magnet that collects any metal deposits!

do the oil while your working at everything else. maybe drop the pan and clean it out too..... just if your oil has ever been extremely dirty.

maybe a coolant flush..... thats on my list at least haha.

i would do the diffs too if the fluid smells wierd.

maybe a fuel filter? i was going to replace mine, but decided to wait and do some other stuff first. im not sure how long fuel filters last or anything like that.

not sure what else.... i just know im constantly checking/changing fluids in mine, im overly paranoid that ill run out of oil or something i think (or so people tell me). i do have good reason though!

oh, and dont forget to grease your rotors, you dont want those to rust up! :p
(please dont haha)

Nomake Wan 04-06-2008 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLHollowX13 (Post 539448)
maybe a coolant flush..... thats on my list at least haha.

Since I'm doing the water pump, that's required! Thanks for the other tips though. Most of it I've had done as maintenance along the way, but there are some things I'll add to my list.

It's Just Eric 04-06-2008 04:01 PM

while your in there, id do the front main seal and lower cam seals. Mabey valve cover gaskets as well, just because its 15 year old rubber

Nomake Wan 04-10-2008 12:19 AM

Okay, I ordered the parts along with the front main and the valve cover gaskets.

Anybody got the part numbers for the intake cam plugs? I hear they tend to leak and are good to replace since I'm taking everything off anyway.

Manarius 04-10-2008 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomake Wan (Post 540408)
Okay, I ordered the parts along with the front main and the valve cover gaskets.

Anybody got the part numbers for the intake cam plugs? I hear they tend to leak and are good to replace since I'm taking everything off anyway.

Could you take a picture of the valve cover gaskets when you get them? I wanna know if the gaskets I have are valve cover or not.

Nomake Wan 04-10-2008 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manarius (Post 540424)
Could you take a picture of the valve cover gaskets when you get them? I wanna know if the gaskets I have are valve cover or not.

Roger that. :)

Crazy_pilot 04-10-2008 05:58 PM

Maybe a bit late now, but it might have been easier to order the engine seal kit. I bought one, it has over 100 pieces to it (according to the description I have here), everything from head gaskets to water pump gaskets and more o-rings than I can shake a stick at. The only problem is they're all thrown in together, so you'll need to figure out which of the 15 or so o-rings is needed at the time.:rolleyes:

I think the kit was around $200.

Crazy_pilot 04-10-2008 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manarius (Post 540424)

Valve cover gaskets:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photopost/...er_gaskets.JPG

Manarius 04-10-2008 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot (Post 540557)
Valve cover gaskets:
image here

Thank you sir!:)

Nomake Wan 04-11-2008 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot (Post 540555)
Maybe a bit late now, but it might have been easier to order the engine seal kit. I bought one, it has over 100 pieces to it (according to the description I have here), everything from head gaskets to water pump gaskets and more o-rings than I can shake a stick at. The only problem is they're all thrown in together, so you'll need to figure out which of the 15 or so o-rings is needed at the time.:rolleyes:

I think the kit was around $200.

For all the parts I needed it was $160, with the expensive bits being the timing belt covers. I didn't really have the funds to blow on the seal kit, so I'd rather just get the required ones instead of a crapload of ones I'll probably never ever use.

Anyone got those part numbers on the Intake Cam Plugs?

kwren 04-11-2008 11:49 AM

I may be mistaken...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomake Wan (Post 539413)
Okay guys, I'm at 91k miles now and I'm finally getting around to doing the 60k service. Way late, I know, but stuff happens. :rolleyes:

When I attempted to get my covers off originally, the plastic holding the bolts broke... and since then I've been leaking oil out of the covers. I'm guessing that's the seals.

Anything else I should be replacing while I'm at it? The thermostat and gasket are relatively new (within 2k miles).

but I don't think the function of the timing belt covers is to hold oil in your car. :confused:

Could be just to keep critters, dirt and other stuff out?

Hove fun and good luck!
Keith

Nomake Wan 04-11-2008 01:07 PM

I'm leaking oil out of 'em 'cause some other seal somewhere is, it just wasn't noticed until I busted the covers. I'm replacing 'em because I don't care for the idea of dirt and stuff getting all over the timing belt hardware. :)