The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   OT- Repair Costs (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5834)

LarryIII 09-09-2002 06:39 PM

OT- Repair Costs

Hi All,

There was an interesting article in the Automotive section of this Sunday's Phila. Inquirer. It was about the high cost of upkeep and repair of used luxury cars such as Mercedes, Jag, BMW, etc.

I cut out the article and will copy it tomorrow at work. I do not have a scanner but will mail a copy to anyone who can scan it into this site.

I don't feel so bad about the repair and replacement parts costs for the SVX after reading this article.

If anyone is interested, send me your address via e-mail or PM on this site.

Ron Mummert 09-09-2002 07:45 PM

Right on Mr. III. I think we sometimes think we're gettin' bent over extra special because of our tastes in "funny windows". Speaking of windows, the price of our driver's power window control pod is about $95.00, & with an hour's effort or so, we can probably replace it ourselves.
A friend at work has an older Explorer with "manual" (remember those, good exercise) windows. The driver's side scissors mechanism became worn, or whatever, & the window fell into the door. Scissors replacement - $160.00! And, like an old Explorer's an "Exotic"!
Har-har!

Ron.

Ron Mummert 09-09-2002 07:47 PM

Right on Mr. III, I think we sometimes think we're gettin' bent over extra special because of our tastes in "funny windows". The price of our driver's power window control pod is about $95.00, & with an hour's effort or so, we can probably replace it ourselves.
A friend at work has an older Explorer with "manual" (remember those, good exercise) windows. The driver's side scissors mechanism became worn, or whatever, & the window fell into the door. Scissors replacement - $160.00! And, like an old Explorer's an "Exotic"!
Har-har!

Ron.

Beav 09-09-2002 07:52 PM

This is kind of what I've been trying to say all along, all repairs are expensive. It doesn't matter what brand of car, some may be less expensive in one particular area, but they make up for it somewhere else. I have yet to see anything, other than the tranny, that's way out of line (comparatively speaking) on the SVX. If you're lucky enough to have a dealer that will only charge you around $2600 for the trans, you're not doing too bad at all.

DavieGravy 09-09-2002 11:43 PM

I had a roomate last year that babbled on about how my SVX is just a plain old Subaru, yet it seems as though the car's really expensive to maitain. Not that I've put alot of money into it. I havn't!
He often yabbered on about how his favorite car (Mercedes 190E, whcih he's never owned) is so much better maitainance wise than the SVX. I guess everyone gets laughed at behind their backs sooner or later.

mohrds 09-10-2002 02:05 AM

<<I guess everyone gets laughed at behind their backs sooner or later.>>

Some of us get laughed at every day ;) and sometimes to our face :D

Doug

LarryIII 09-10-2002 04:20 AM

Ron,

Are you trying to up your post total or is it just the BoxO-Chablis typing ?

Say, does Box-O-Chianti come with straw wicker around the bottom of the box?

DownEastSVXer 09-10-2002 05:54 AM

Know from first hand experience

While I haven't had my SVX to very long I have followed the online boards about costs of repair. For the past three winters my fun car has been an 89 Jaguar XJS conv with that wonderful V-12. You need a second morgage just for an oil change if you let a dealer to it! Takes 12 quarts of oil!. Had to have the cats replaced. Wow there are 4 of them and the cost was over $2k. Replaced the dis cap cost for the part was $265. But boy what a nice ride. So much so that I sold the 89 this spring on ebay and bought a mint 90 that sits in my garage. Looking forward to driving the SVX for the next 3 winters in Maine.