The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   WRx wagon in the 9's (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22533)

HighwayUFO 11-09-2004 02:11 PM

WRx wagon in the 9's

This article may be a little similar to the WRX dragster thread, but I was thumbing throught the newest issue of Turbo magazine and read an article about an Aussie team that has propelled their little unasuming WRX Wagon into the 9's. Reading through the specs, I was completely blown away not only by the numbers that they claimed, but that the car still ran.

The car is putting over 500 horses to the ground after the calculation of drivetrain loss. The car is also on a stock bottom end and spooling away at 40 pounds of boost.:eek: Most cars will die after trying to hold that much boost.

Not all that bad for a WRX wagon.

Keith

thundering02 11-09-2004 05:21 PM

What kind of head gasket and valvetrain do they have then? 40# and stock internals = boom in most books I find it hard to belive but maybe.

HighwayUFO 11-09-2004 06:01 PM

Like I said in my first post, I was only thumbing through and caught the big shiny words and picture captions as my time was limited. I plan on going back to Wallyworld and picking that issue up and actually reading it. I'll be sure to let you all know what is keeping the beast alive:D

Keith

Chiketkd 11-09-2004 06:38 PM

Nice find Keith! That WRX wagon definitely hauls butt...

-Chike

P.S. They definitely can't be using a stock WRX 5spd 'glass' trans... :p

deruvian 11-09-2004 06:39 PM

Have you ever heard of ESX? The last I checked, they had a 740hp WRX. Not sure if it is the same WRX, but one of their wagons ran 8.98 in the 1/4.

BordeauxComet 11-09-2004 11:02 PM

I have the mag

The WRX wagon in Turbo uses a subaru 4EAT!:eek:
Also, their future plans are to fit a 3.3 liter EG33 and run a twin turbo setup!!
-Nathan

GreenMarine 11-10-2004 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by deruvian
Have you ever heard of ESX? The last I checked, they had a 740hp WRX. Not sure if it is the same WRX, but one of their wagons ran 8.98 in the 1/4.
Ever heard of "Regoli engineering"??? That's who built the engine for the ESX drag car... and guess what, they're Australian... Why do ya think that one of the guys on the ESX team is Australian?? Because Regoli sent him over specifically for the engine, to build and maintain it...

Also did you know that Regoli has had a twin turbo SVX motor putting out over 700hp??? It is very true.... Then again it costs about $30,000... :rolleyes:

Matthewmongan 11-10-2004 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by GreenMarineSVX

Also did you know that Regoli has had a twin turbo SVX motor putting out over 700hp??? It is very true.... Then again it costs about $30,000... :rolleyes:

i imagine that with some r/d ecutune could get similar numbers for alot less with their rumered stage 4 built and supercharged setup.

Chiketkd 11-10-2004 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Matthewmongan
i imagine that with some r/d ecutune could get similar numbers for alot less with their rumered stage 4 built and supercharged setup.
You know, ECUTune probably could build a 700+hp S/C EG33 beast, but engines with that much power are not very streetable.

When I owned a Lightning, several guys I knew would dump 20K into their trucks and get a built engine with a screw-type S/C (Kenne Bell). They'd also upgrade the trans w/ a Level 10 and the rear diff and driveshaft. However, despite the money they'd drop into their project to do it right, 700+hp wears parts down faster than you'd imagine. Their axle would snap or the 'bulletproof' Level 10 trans would break. Sometimes the engine would just start shooting spark plugs. :rolleyes:

Either way, build a 700hp SVX for anything but the track, and you'll need a second job just to keep that thing on the road. The 400hp goal of ECUTune will be more reliable and realistic... :)

-Chike

GreenMarine 11-10-2004 08:49 AM

I definitly agree with that... Besides, who really needs more than 400hp anyway??? :rolleyes:

Landshark 11-10-2004 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by deruvian
Have you ever heard of ESX? The last I checked, they had a 740hp WRX.
there are getting over 1000hp now. :D

their 740 package gives closer to 800hp - i like conservative ratings. :)

GreenMarine 11-10-2004 11:06 AM

That is the same package that they have always had... They maxed out Porters Dyno at Subaru of Gwinnett (in GA) last year Before ever hitting thier 300 shot of Nitros(sp?).. Look in my locker for pics of the engine and the car... I'm telling you this because I met them and had dinner with them the night before Nopi 2003 in Atlanta.... That's how I know about the engine work, and the power outputs...

GreenMarine 11-12-2004 07:55 AM

Oh yea... almost forgot... Here's a picture of the REAL world's fastest WRX.... It's in Australia... Guess who builds it.... That's right, the same guys that build the ESX dragcar's engine :D:D

http://www.mcracinggroup.com.au/wrx/Picture%20047.jpg

Chiketkd 11-12-2004 09:21 AM

NICE!!! :cool:

What kinda times does that beast run?

-Chike

HighwayUFO 11-12-2004 12:23 PM

I believe that is the wagon that I'm talking about, nice find by the way. Thanks for covering for me, I've been way too lazy lately and haven't dug up the good stuff yet.

Keith