The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Engine DETONATION!!!What else could blow up??? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26524)

TomsSVX 05-31-2005 10:12 PM

Engine DETONATION!!!What else could blow up???

well it would seem that I will not be racing this thursday. Somehow my engine has gone kaput. It stumbles at idle and stalls out whenever I am comming to a stop. It would seem to have a miss but it is not a miss. Since it is night time I cannot tell what color the clouds of smoke I am blowing are. I know it is on the pass side bank as I have a true dual exhaust. I need to take a better look at it tomorrow. I can imagine that one of the injectors leaned out too much and caused the engine to detonate. I am not sure of any of this but may be able to give u guys a better answer tomorrow. I am also contemplating selling the car as I dunno if i wanna keep throwing money into it for repairs and not mods. Well..... I dunno i am kinda bummed out at this point because I am hosting a meet in 2 days and will be SVXless. All going well i think i may keep it and find a new motor.

Tom

TomsSVX 05-31-2005 10:17 PM

Just thought real quick on a more positive note, My timing belt may have just skipped a beat. I will check in the morning but i doubt it.

Tom

SVXer95 05-31-2005 10:28 PM

Timing is exactly what I was thinking when I read your post.

ensteele 05-31-2005 11:06 PM

I was too. Someone awhile back had a similar problem and it skipped a tooth on the belt. It was enough to through things off. Hope it is the case here. Good luck and let us know what you find out. :)

TomsSVX 06-01-2005 12:46 AM

but why would it be blowing smoke? I dunno I hope it is just that

Tom

Beav 06-01-2005 05:05 AM

Does the smoke have the sweet smell of antifreeze?

SVXRide 06-01-2005 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beav
Does the smoke have the sweet smell of antifreeze?

and is your radiator bubbling (have to take the cap off to see....)??
-Bill

TomsSVX 06-01-2005 08:10 AM

no it does not smell like antifreeze. My headgasket is fine. I truely d believe it is the timing belt, it is the only thing that could make anymore sense. The smoke smells like half burned fuel. For anyone who knows what that smell is, it is not too pleasing. I will take the front timing covers off today and check her out.

Tom

SVXer95 06-01-2005 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomssvx
no it does not smell like antifreeze. My headgasket is fine. I truely d believe it is the timing belt, it is the only thing that could make anymore sense. The smoke smells like half burned fuel. For anyone who knows what that smell is, it is not too pleasing. I will take the front timing covers off today and check her out.

Tom

When my timing jumped I had the same smell, but no smoke. If you did significant damage, it would smell a lot worse than unburned fuel...

My car felt like it was running on three cylinders. Sounded awful and drove even worse.

LarryIII 06-01-2005 09:58 AM

Tom,

Come to this meet anyway. We can help if you need something or at least give you a shoulder to cry on..

n00b on demand 06-01-2005 10:58 AM

Larry im sure he'll be there whether he has his SVX or not :)

TomsSVX 06-01-2005 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soobiesvx93
Larry im sure he'll be there whether he has his SVX or not :)

Yup :)

Tom

CigarJohnny 06-01-2005 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomssvx

Tom

Best of luck, buddy! :)

Johnny

TomsSVX 06-01-2005 02:04 PM

Well I popped the front of the engine off to check the belt and timing. All looks well under there which is even more concerning than it being off. I did replace the injector last night along with the coilpack. I did not however even go for the sprak plug(duh!!!). I pulled the plug and it is black as night with gas and what seems to be soot. I am doing all the plugs once I get the front of the engine back together so please cross your fingers and hope to die that this is my problem. I am such an idiot for not doing this earlier.

Tom

TomsSVX 06-01-2005 04:31 PM

Status report

Well I am not sure what to think right now. The car is running fine but still blowing huge clowds of grey/white smoke. it is also having a problem idling and staying running. It drives and accelerates fine but I didn't really punch it. For some reason I have a bad feeling the headgasket has popped like you guys mentioned but it doesn't smell like antifreeze. Right now it is just running trying to burn off whatever I have hanging around in the exhaust. Maybe when Jesse comes by tomorrow he will be able to tell me more than I already know.

Tom