The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Im switching to Manual, but need info! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13707)

samerooo22 10-11-2003 05:55 PM

Im switching to Manual, but need info!

Hi, Ive just decided to put in a manual transmission, but need to know what is the cheapest and most reliable swap, if anyone has any info please let me know, thanks!

wawazat?? 10-11-2003 08:17 PM

I'm confused

You're looking for cheap parts because you have no money and you want to do a transmission swap???:confused:

Cheap and reliable tend to be mutually exclusive. First step is to read the Manual trans conversion document by Huck in the "How To" locker. That's the cheap way. The expensive and easier way is to get the kit from Small Car. Not cheap, but easier than doing everything yourself.

I'm slowly converting mine now. I have a lot of experience and a great set of tools ("my dad's a TV repairman" -name the movie trivia geeks). This isn't something to take on over a weekend unless you've got some capable and talented friends.

Todd

ensteele 10-11-2003 08:36 PM

After my experience with Small Car, I'm wondering if that is a reliable way to go now. :( And they don't stand behind their product. :(

samerooo22 10-11-2003 08:47 PM

I actually have 4 friends that are master mechanics ASE certified that are ready to help, and I actually am going to try to do this over just one weekend, all i need to do is find a new transmition that includes everything and will be cheaper than a new wrx tranny, my svxs old auto tranny is pulled out and the car is in my garage, i just need a new one and im back on the road:D so if you have any info about it please let me know, and please include links for that small car whatever, thanks!:D

CigarJohnny 10-12-2003 06:20 AM

I think Huck was the first to make the conversion and he did it all himself for about $1000 in parts. As far as I know it has been extremely reliable for him. As long as the parts you purchase for it are low mileage and not beat then you should find them very reliable as long as you do not beat on your SVX with those parts in it. His instructions are very thorough and everyone I have heard from that made the conversion using them has had nothing but good words.

You are in the perfect situation to be "cheap" about it and I fully understand where you are coming from. You can have it all done for less than a reman autobox. That only makes sense when you have to do it anyway. I hope to do the same when my current autobox dies. Best of luck!

mohrds 10-13-2003 07:44 AM

Re: I'm confused

Quote:

Originally posted by wawazat??
my dad's a TV repairman" -name the movie trivia geeks

Todd

Jeff Spicoli to "Little Brother" after he smashes the Firebird into a pile of bricks.

"People on ludes should not drive"

wawazat?? 10-13-2003 10:47 AM

I'm wondering how many people on this site know about "Fast Times"? You've got the old guys (Aredub, LarryIII, Ron, Earl :p ) that wouldn't have seen it and then you've got the young guys (too numerous to mention) who were too young to see it when it hit the theaters. Us middle group (you, me, Steve) got it hard! :D

Todd

ww111 10-13-2003 07:48 PM

Old Fast Times...

I'm an old dude and I've got a pair of Vans in the closet... I got married in Vans...

I'm the guy that stabbed Mr. Hand!

Collins
Circa '64

huck369 10-14-2003 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by wawazat??
I'm wondering how many people on this site know about "Fast Times"? You've got the old guys (Aredub, LarryIII, Ron, Earl :p ) that wouldn't have seen it and then you've got the young guys (too numerous to mention) who were too young to see it when it hit the theaters. Us middle group (you, me, Steve) got it hard! :D

Todd

Hey!! don't forget me!!!:eek: Class of 1983....20 year reunion next month:rolleyes:

SHISVX 10-14-2003 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by huck369

Hey!! don't forget me!!!:eek: Class of 1983....20 year reunion next month:rolleyes:

wow, i was a whole year old the year you graduated!

Kelli ;)

how's the search on the 5-spd going?