The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Squealing with Heater/AC on (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42209)

Wikedjuggalo 12-06-2007 07:29 PM

Squealing with Heater/AC on

O.k just started, Freaking squealing loud when I turn on the AC or Heater, its kinda loud and annoying. It is blowing both hot and cold good. Any clues? Started when it got colder out.

YourConfused 12-06-2007 07:31 PM

loose and/or glazed belt

Wikedjuggalo 12-06-2007 07:31 PM

what is a glazed belt? ; ; how do I tell which it is.

redlightningsvx 12-06-2007 07:33 PM

my old car did that and then some, it was my alternator i turn on a/c or heater (sqealllllllllllll) turn it off and it goes away hopfully its just a belt

Wikedjuggalo 12-06-2007 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redlightningsvx (Post 513532)
my old car did that and then some, it was my alternator i turn on a/c or heater (sqealllllllllllll) turn it off and it goes away hopfully its just a belt

How Do I tell ; ; ? Great to know options it could be ,but I appreciate the opinions :)

YourConfused 12-06-2007 07:45 PM

Glazed belt will look shinny in day time and is caused by heat or fluid contamination. Heat usually generated by slipping on a pulley due to lack of tension. So basically it's a loose belt or a loose belt. Small chance that there is a bad bearing making the noise, but it does happen. You could spray a silicone lube or belt dressing onto the belts while the motor is running to see if it is indeed the belt.
edited for fluid

Wikedjuggalo 12-06-2007 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YourConfused (Post 513536)
Glazed belt will look shinny in day time and is caused by heat. Heat usually generated by slipping on a pulley due to lack of tension. So basically it's a loose belt or a loose belt. Small chance that there is a bad bearing making the noise, but it does happen. You could spray a silicone lube or belt dressing onto the belts while the motor is running to see if it is indeed the belt.

o.k so basically good chance belt is loose? I do wanna mention one thing, It would do it when it was warmer out but only for a minute when first started up. It has gotten worse as it has gotten colder.

redlightningsvx 12-06-2007 07:59 PM

definatly sounds like my old car. do you have a subwoofer? it could be overworking the alternater thats how i killed it

Wikedjuggalo 12-06-2007 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redlightningsvx (Post 513545)
definatly sounds like my old car. do you have a subwoofer? it could be overworking the alternater thats how i killed it

lol no, I did put a stereo in a while ago, it did it before hand though.

redlightningsvx 12-06-2007 08:04 PM

ok just open the hood and start the car, have someone listen for where the sound is coming from that will give you a better idea

Wikedjuggalo 12-06-2007 08:11 PM

I did that myself, sounds like it is coming from the AC compressor thing ( I know my terminology is right on point) definatly coming from that area. I personally don't see how how it could be alt. But Cars are mystical creatures and I thank everyones help. I think loose belt sounds right but again I am young and have not had much experience with cars, let alone SVX's :p

redlightningsvx 12-06-2007 08:15 PM

your compressor my be shot then

Wikedjuggalo 12-06-2007 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redlightningsvx (Post 513554)
your compressor my be shot then

O.k, >.x not what I wanted to hear, but it is making cold air and also blowing it out nicely. I am not trying to argue with you or shoot down your help again thank you.

YourConfused 12-06-2007 08:34 PM

Well if you don't feel like spraying something on the belt then just take it off to see if the noise goes away as a first step in the diag process. Otherwise good luck with it all.

Dessertrunner 12-06-2007 08:36 PM

I go for a stuffed belt old and lost its grip.