The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Timing Belt broke (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3349)

ilya37 03-27-2002 02:39 PM

Timing Belt broke

Hello,

I have 1992 SVX with 106K miles on it... and all of a sudden it died at the stop light. I took to the mechanic he said that the Timing Belt broke. This car had 60K scheduled maintance and timing belt was replaced then. Shouldn't it had lasted at least for another 20+K miles??? Also, what happenes to the engine and overhead now? Is it gone? The Subaru guy said that everything should be cool except for there are two bearings that need to be checked for, as well as some tensioners. If somebody know anything this let me know... I just want to get some outside help from people who really know about SVXs. Thanx.

EverclearAtMSU 03-27-2002 02:56 PM

Re: Timing Belt broke

Quote:

Originally posted by ilya37
Hello,

I have 1992 SVX with 106K miles on it... and all of a sudden it died at the stop light. I took to the mechanic he said that the Timing Belt broke. This car had 60K scheduled maintance and timing belt was replaced then. Shouldn't it had lasted at least for another 20+K miles??? Also, what happenes to the engine and overhead now? Is it gone? The Subaru guy said that everything should be cool except for there are two bearings that need to be checked for, as well as some tensioners. If somebody know anything this let me know... I just want to get some outside help from people who really know about SVXs. Thanx.

i've seen timing belts go before, and replaced one in an infinity. The engines are nothing alike, but there was no perminant damage from breaking. I dont see why you would need anything other than a new belt put in there and to have it adjusted. However it is rather costly, at least at a shop due to the labor envolved

Mr. Pockets 03-27-2002 03:06 PM

Re: Re: Timing Belt broke

Quote:

Originally posted by EverclearAtMSU

i've seen timing belts go before, and replaced one in an infinity. The engines are nothing alike, but there was no perminant damage from breaking. I dont see why you would need anything other than a new belt put in there and to have it adjusted. However it is rather costly, at least at a shop due to the labor envolved

I don't know about the engine in the Infinity, but the EG33 in the SVX is a non-interference engine. What this means is that, even if the timing belt breaks, the pistons can't crash into the valves. Many engines aren't designed with this in mind, so when the timing belt breaks, everything gets out of synch and the pistons DO crash into open valves.

I don't know what 'bearings' your mechanic told you he wanted to check out.

Beav 03-27-2002 04:06 PM

I'm sure he just wants to check the tensioner and idler pulleys (bearings.) He's doing the right thing to look for something that may have led to your belt's premature departure.

Beav

Mr. Pockets 03-27-2002 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Beav
I'm sure he just wants to check the tensioner and idler pulleys (bearings.) He's doing the right thing to look for something that may have led to your belt's premature departure.

Beav

Good to know. Thanks.